Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Texas Vote Democrat In Any Of The Next 5 Presidential Elections?
Yes 36 46.15%
No 27 34.62%
No Way To Tell 12 15.38%
Who Cares. 3 3.85%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:31 AM

711 posts, read 1,856,708 times

Advertisements

So you're saying that the GOP should engage in the same openly racist vote pandering the Democrats engage in? That the GOP should abandon MLK's dream, as the Democrats have, and try to appeal to the naked racism of Black and Hispanic voters? That the GOP should continue the Balkanization and fracture of American politics that the Democrats started? Even if most Republicans didn't think that repugnant, it won't work. Republicans are publicly humiliated by the mainstream media every time they try it. Only Democrats are given a free pass to engage in beggar thy neighbor politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 01:39 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
So you're saying that the GOP should engage in the same openly racist vote pandering the Democrats engage in? That the GOP should abandon MLK's dream, as the Democrats have, and try to appeal to the naked racism of Black and Hispanic voters? That the GOP should continue the Balkanization and fracture of American politics that the Democrats started? Even if most Republicans didn't think that repugnant, it won't work. Republicans are publicly humiliated by the mainstream media every time they try it. Only Democrats are given a free pass to engage in beggar thy neighbor politics.
Are you ****in kidding me?

Old 08-22-2009, 09:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Saw on gallup.com that more and more hispanics are pulling away from Obama and calling themselves conservatives.

Democratic conservatives seem to be where it's at.
and more people period are listing themselves as conservatives. I think too many on putting too much into the results of the 2008 election. To me, basing opinion on last Nov would be like everyone in 1981 assuming the entire country would be in the hands of the conservatives forever, not realizing a lot of what happened then was based on dissatifaction with Carter.

Nita

Old 08-22-2009, 04:41 PM

265 posts, read 597,308 times
I find it hilarious that Republicans always blame all their problems on the "mainstream media." Like Sarah Palin blaming the New York Times instead of her own dumb ass. It's pure brilliance.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:23 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,630,608 times
If the Democrats keep screwing up in Congress I think Texas WILL remain Red.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:44 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
If the Democrats keep screwing up in Congress I think Texas WILL remain Red.
Lucky for the world that the GOP is, if anything, more worthless. They don't even TRY to do anything--even if the Dems don't pass their agenda, at least they are actually making a conscious effort to better the country.

If EVERYONE in Congress keeps screwing up, there may be a large anti-incumbent movement, which would help turn Texas blue.

Also, note that Texans under 30 supported Obama in larger numbers than McCain. The Texans who in the next 10-20 years will come to run the state are simply not as conservative as the present generation is.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:38 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and more people period are listing themselves as conservatives. I think too many on putting too much into the results of the 2008 election. To me, basing opinion on last Nov would be like everyone in 1981 assuming the entire country would be in the hands of the conservatives forever, not realizing a lot of what happened then was based on dissatifaction with Carter.

Nita
Actually, (based on statistical data) most people consider themselves moderates and generally vote by issue (or in some elections by candidate) leaning one way or another. Do you need to borrow my US Government book?

Old 08-23-2009, 07:56 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Seems to my limited view that Texas may be getting more liberal...
...with more Hispanics and more of those lovely Californians moving here.

God bless 'em both!

Anyways...
what are the chances I'll live to see Texas vote for a Democrat any time soon?
The funny thing is -- I considered myself middle of the road tending toward conservative on social issues and tended to vote for republicans before I moved here. I consistently defended George Bush and easily tired of everyone blaming him for just about everything.

The funny thing is....living in Texas has actually turned me into a democrat. I think that might be the first time I just came out about it too....

A convservative one....but I'm going to be leaving this state much, much more liberal.

At least I will leave. So you won't have to count me.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:41 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Lucky for the world that the GOP is, if anything, more worthless. They don't even TRY to do anything--even if the Dems don't pass their agenda, at least they are actually making a conscious effort to better the country.

If EVERYONE in Congress keeps screwing up, there may be a large anti-incumbent movement, which would help turn Texas blue.

Also, note that Texans under 30 supported Obama in larger numbers than McCain. The Texans who in the next 10-20 years will come to run the state are simply not as conservative as the present generation is.
Quote:
at least they are actually making a conscious effort to better the country
Well, they're making a conscious effort, not sure better has anything to do with it as much as in their own image.

And Texans under 30 also supported Ann Richards. After 30 they replaced her with GWBush.

Texas, as a blue state, is still redder than any other blue state.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:37 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
I'd love for Texas to secede. I'd be one of the first out. Have fun with all the extra taxes.
Even if that were so it would balance itself out with lower gasoline & energy prices. Texas has all the natural resources needed to survive on its own & then some.

While we're on the subject. What has the Obama admin. done to help "us" out at the pump? Gas prices continue to hover around or above $2.50 per gallon nation wide since the 8 months he's been in office. Everybody was blaming Bush on the crazy gas prices last year & now almost a year later we have a new pres. & still no relief. So much for the "Blood for Oil" Bush conspiracy of yesteryear eh?

Last edited by Metro Matt; 08-24-2009 at 03:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas