Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:54 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,927 times

Advertisements

I think an elective class on world religions would be better. That wouldn't sit well with the christian fundies, though.

I don't really see much of a point in this. Whatever happened to slackers taking Home Economics instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 08:16 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,920 times
If they start banning reports on people as being too Christian, they should ban Martin Luther King, and I'm sure if they do they will have a boatload of bad press for it.

What it comes down to is the PC Police taking over everything, including education. Hell, if we're going to let them do that, we may as well just not teach the Texas Revolution, because that will offend the Mexicans. And slavery and Jim Crow could offend Southerners AND blacks, so throw that out the window. And hell, just about everyone could get pissed if we teach about WWII. Why don't we just have em sit and sing Kum Ba Ya? Oh wait, that mentions the Lord. Maybe we shouldn't have school--they can just go on to McDonald's and memorize the value menu.

I firmly believe people should not teach their beliefs as fact. This is why I'm opposed to creationism being taught in school. I am worried by the introduction of Bible education in public schools for two reasons--1. that I would not want anyone, even of my own faith, to try to use public education to indocrinate anyone, which I'm sure will happen regardless of what the law says, and 2. I would be afraid of someone who does not belive in my faith misrepresenting it while teaching it.

However, we can never TEACH our beliefs as fact, as we can never prove them. That's why it's called FAITH.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:34 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,995 times
Well Perry turned down boatloads of Federal cash designed to bring all Texans up to basic educational standards. Yet he does this. Really if anyone is doubting who to vote for in the Republican Governor primary isnt it becoming more and more clear?

Old 08-19-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Well Perry turned down boatloads of Federal cash designed to bring all Texans up to basic educational standards. Yet he does this. Really if anyone is doubting who to vote for in the Republican Governor primary isnt it becoming more and more clear?
Yes, vote for Perry so we can get a Democrat into office in the general election. Kay Bailey isn't going to to anything differently and everyone knows it. The Dems probably won't either (the Governor doesn't do much of anything anyways), but at least there is a chance.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:24 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
I think an elective class on world religions would be better. That wouldn't sit well with the christian fundies, though.

I don't really see much of a point in this. Whatever happened to slackers taking Home Economics instead?
If they simply made it a history course, that alone would be enough to ensure only a handful of students would sign up for it. If they somehow related the course to science or math, the teacher would be giving instruction to a roomful of just air. If the class was designed to be in the least bit challenging, that would be enough to make sure it fails. That would be the best way for those opposed to this class to make it die. Get voted onto your local schoolboard, and set curriculum guidelines for the class that would make it the least attractive course available in the school. Make the hardest physics or calculus teacher in the school teach the course. Every school has that one hardas*, the one who'd rather fail 90% of the class than admit their teaching abilities suck. Put that person in charge. Then this whole conversation will be moot. Neither side will get what they want. Isn't that what democracy's all about anyhow? Nobody getting what they want?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:31 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post

I can NOT stand Gov. Goodhair. He is a pompous a$$. Not only is he bad for the state but he is bringing down a good institution with it. I might not be an Aggie fan but he is NOT helping A&M in any way.

KBH is not any better. They are both about political posturing and who gives them the most $$$$$.

Am I the only one that is sick of professional politicians? Yet, when someone throws their hat in the ring to run for an office if they don't have any "political" experience the voters diss them. Why is that? Why do we NOT want an average normal Joe in office that actually knows what it is like "in the trenches"? Why do some people/voters get all caught up in who has the most political experience? If we are REALLY tired of these professional politicians we would be clamoring for REAL PEOPLE to run for office and vote them in without question.
~~~off my soapbox~~~

Btw, "TTK", I totally agree. I am NOT a fan of the "hellfire & brimstone", Bible-thumping people at all. The overly zealous pious gasbags are a huge turn off for most Christians as well. I had an encounter with a real piece of work many years ago that was like that. I was with a friend at a fast food place standing in the parking lot talking and this guy walks up and just blasts us out of nowhere saying, "your going to hell". He and I both looked at each other like, WT..... Unbeknowest to this a-hole he was talking to a PK (preachers kid) and a PKG (preachers grandkid). And we knew each other from CHURCH . We both politely responded, "no, I'm saved" to which REALLY got under his skin for some reason. I'm guessing the guy was having a really bad day . Back then my brain was a little fresher and could sputter out verses like crazy. So I came back w/ the "least you be judged" verse since this guy didn't know us from anywhere and was judging us. It got really interesting and pretty soon a small crowd had gathered. I wanted to smack the jerk and tell him he was doing God nor Jesus any favors by his actions. I was a lot younger then so I'd happily confront these zealots. Now, I just walk away. No amount of trying to reason w/ them is going to change them. These types are just as bad to their fellow Christians as they are to everyone else so your not alone.

Most mature Christians can talk religion, faith or whatever with others without being confrontational and do it more on a "discussion" type format where it is interesting for anyone and everyone. My Jewish friends and I can sit and talk about our differences all day long and both appreciate the other even more at the end of it and understand more where each other are coming from. It is called RESPECT and there are people on all sides of the fence that don't have it.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post

good point, home ec, just think if I had gotten my teaching Cred I would have taught foods, boy would that have been a waste.

As I have mentioned, I have no problems with religion being taught as long as it isn't manatory, but a world religion class would be interesting, the problem: that is a lot to cover in one semester.

Nita

Old 08-20-2009, 10:55 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,015,463 times
I have no issue with religious text being taught in school. Most muslim countries are ran by clerics so an understanding of the koran(sp right?) is needed to understand the politics involved. Done objectively the Old Testament does have a lot of history to it and is the basis for Jewish, Christian and Muslim beliefs.

Besides when I was in high school, they had all sorts of pointless electives. pottery, knitting, oragami etc.. Now they'll be adding religion as another optional boring filler class.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:33 PM

108 posts, read 438,272 times
Stupid. Keep religion/myths out of public schools. Focus on science and math.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinguy2009 View Post
Stupid. Keep religion/myths out of public schools. Focus on science and math.
Why? The vast majority of professions in the United States have little to do with science or math.

The liberal arts, however, provide a useful foundation for critical thinking for anyone, regardless of profession. The study of religion and myth is esentially a liberal art. Why don't we just get rid of fiction, then, as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: