Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 01:11 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times

Advertisements

I was hoping for a bit of guidance on our growing seasons. My garden is doing great (especially the corn and lettuce this year!) and I was thinking of planting a second round of corn, spinach, etc. to take me into the fall.

Do any of y'all do this? When do you plant? We usually get our first freeze around Thanksgiving. Our hot weather started WAY early this year -- we've been in the high 90s since mid-May -- so I'm fairly confident that my veggies would do OK starting out in the high heat, as long as I water a lot and use compost.

Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Depends on where in Texas you are. Here in San Antonio, I have had tomato plants overwinter and produce in the spring when we didn't have a hard freeze to kill them off.

Off the top of my head, I would guess that beans and spinach could produce multiple crops, but not corn. I suspect it requires more heat than it will get in the fall to produce a good crop.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:24 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Hi Bowie,
I'm in Abilene, where we do get snow/ice and have a "real" winter. (LOL, at least as "real" as I like it to be!) Our first hard freeze or ice/snow event is usually around Thanksgiving. Last year, I had a lot of tomatoes on the vine but had to harvest the day before Thanksgiving because it snowed.

Yeah, you're right about the corn. My plants are growing at variable rates so I should have an extended harvest anyway. I will plan for a "second season" of lettuce, spinach, and beans, though!

Old 06-18-2008, 11:45 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
I can do the corn twice if I hit it right. My fall garden though is generally "greens" only. I put up enough peas and beans there is no need for another rotation. Tomatoes I can keep going up until our first frost and on the south side of the house that can go into December.

I love my spinach though and I go heavy on that.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 6,302 times
Well im doin this for a project thing(Rofl)Anyways liek so
Its ask "How Long Is the Growing Season In your state", And Obviously I live in texas SA
So Liek if you could help me with That
Its Not very specific< so liek you also try to be specific
PLEASE HELP!!!!! Dx By the way im 15 So liek thats the Project!! (Try to be as specific as can)!!! :"(

Old 09-30-2009, 08:20 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,950 times
Here in coastal South Texas, IF we get a freeze, its usually at the end of December or in January, with the last freeze usually in late January to the very beginning of February, and it may only freeze once or twice. Many years, we don't see freezes at all, so we can grow veggies/fruits unabated all year long. We just cover them up if there is a threat of one. Its nice having this kind of diversity with our planting

I used to live up in Wichita Falls, TX., and our growing season was even shorter than yours (last freeze was usually in late March, first freeze around November 10th-15th), and summers there were torrid, making it hard on the more sensitive veggies. Although cotton sure did good there... hmmmm.

Ian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas