Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 02:37 PM

509 posts, read 1,697,459 times

Advertisements

i hope to soon settle down in Laredo . we plan to have a manufactured house . i am from Nebraska and there we used roof vents to take heat out from attic . while it has been a few years since i checked i wonder if that is still applicable ? either roof vents or vents on end attic at end of house . they used to be wind or power operated . with the power ones you had a thermostat that would kick the fan in when heat built up .just wondering for when time comes for me to make a decision .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 06:51 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonie5 View Post
i hope to soon settle down in Laredo . we plan to have a manufactured house . i am from Nebraska and there we used roof vents to take heat out from attic . while it has been a few years since i checked i wonder if that is still applicable ? either roof vents or vents on end attic at end of house . they used to be wind or power operated . with the power ones you had a thermostat that would kick the fan in when heat built up .just wondering for when time comes for me to make a decision .
In texas, you will need both.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,695 times
There's a company in Phoenix that is rolling out radiant barrier called thermal control membrane (TCM) and also wrapping the ducts with it. The testimonials seem unbelievable but there's also a newspaper article about this system and the savings of the customers interviewed were consistent with the web site.
I was on the site and found it seeking information on attic venting. This company specializes in attic venting in fact that's how I found them. I googled "attic venting" and they were the number one hit site. Not a sponsored site either so it was driven there by sheer hits. I'm considering buying the TCM after I do some more testing suggested by this company...I forget the name....horizon? Horizon Systems I think.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:15 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonie5 View Post
Yes good ventilation is very important for the attic, however ventilation alone does not address the issue that radiant barriers are for. Here is a good article about cool roofs.

What's So Cool About Cool Roofs? | Sponsored by Cool Roof Rating Council | Originally published in the March/April 2009 issue of GreenSource | McGraw-Hill Construction - Continuing Education Center

I installed a power operated roof vent in one house, but my contacts at the City of Austin, Green Builder division, who were experts in energy conservation advised me that most power operated vents cost more energy in electricity then they save. Its much better to go with a passive ventilation system, with lots of intakes around the eaves and exhaust at the high points of the roof.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:51 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Radiant barriers were very popular for a few years with high end custom builders, but not so much right now.

Sealed attics with spray foam insulation is the best way to insulate a home. Instead of cocooning your home to the attic with a 140 degree attic on top of it, you cocoon the house to the roofline with the outside are outside. Think of it like a styrofoam igloo cooler. Nothing insulates better. As was mentioned in an earlier post all of your AC system & ductwork is then in a conditioned space. Your attic will stay within 8 degrees of your inside air temp! Great for storage. Of course it costs more than regular insulation probably $5-6k on an average house, but your energy bills will be 40-50% lower than traditional insulation. Also you do not need radiant barriers, they do nothing whatsoever for a sealed attic.
If you do go radiant barrier, go with TechShield roof sheathing, its already on the plywood, and for a house your size, shouldnt cost more than $1000 to $1500 max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: