Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 06:14 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times

Advertisements

I think McAllen has adapted to the U.S. It has the same basic structure as any other U.S. city, government, schools, hospitals, highways, strip malls, tax system, etc. But when you have 80% of the residents with Mexican heritage, of course you will see their ancestry. Plus, no matter how you slice it, McAllen is near the Mexican border and it was actually part of Mexico at a time...so my saying doesn't quite apply to McAllen in itself. I was referring to people relocating there are the ones who need to adapt to its idiosyncracies. Or to any city for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 06:15 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
And yes, there is traffic here like anywhere else, but it is much less and short lived than other places. Even during rush hour and "congestion" you still get around pretty quickly.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:39 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I think McAllen has adapted to the U.S. It has the same basic structure as any other U.S. city, government, schools, hospitals, highways, strip malls, tax system, etc. But when you have 80% of the residents with Mexican heritage, of course you will see their ancestry. Plus, no matter how you slice it, McAllen is near the Mexican border and it was actually part of Mexico at a time...so my saying doesn't quite apply to McAllen in itself. I was referring to people relocating there are the ones who need to adapt to its idiosyncracies. Or to any city for that matter.
Just because something is in America does not mean it's American, especially in America where people, ideas and things come from everywhere. (I mean how American is pizza or pasta?) Having US government, schools, hospitals and strip malls might make a city nominally American, but reality and quality can be so different. So...based on your own reasoning must have figured your saying is not very applicable.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:40 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
That's why they call the U.S "The Melting Pot".

Old 11-19-2009, 11:50 AM

100 posts, read 446,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Just because something is in America does not mean it's American, especially in America where people, ideas and things come from everywhere. (I mean how American is pizza or pasta?) Having US government, schools, hospitals and strip malls might make a city nominally American, but reality and quality can be so different. So...based on your own reasoning must have figured your saying is not very applicable.
What is "American" anyways...

Old 11-19-2009, 09:31 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvalle_mayne View Post
What is "American" anyways...
America is American.

What I'm really saying though is that American is a combination of many things, not just one, exhibited by contrast--not one type (or similar types) of food, people or culture.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 11-19-2009 at 09:46 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 08:03 AM

185 posts, read 463,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 956kidd View Post
Expressway 281 - McAllen:

Expressway 83 - McAllen:
like I said, the expressways are practically empty, even on the worse curves, at the worse rush hour times of day

Relative to rush hour in any texas city, like all the ones that have their own space at the top of this forum.

If you ever live in above said cities, then you'll understand what I'm sayin

we don't have 6 lanes wide on this side, and 6 lanes wide on that side, all full, bumper to bumper, going 10 mph, stop and go, stop and go, that doesnt exist down here unless there is a very bad wreck

If there is a bad wreck in above cities, (the ones that have their own personal forums), all 5 or 6 lanes going one way, will come to a complete stop, maybe for an hour

nice pics by the way, of the empty highways, and frontage roads

think I'll go from one end of the valley to the other end of the valley today, I'll just set it on cruise control, cuz I won't be stopping, wide open lanes, heaven

Old 01-19-2010, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,671 times
McAllen is a great place to live. My family and i moved 4 years ago from San Antonio and we have had a great experience down here. It's very safe,clean,family oriented,low cost of living many things to do,easy commutes. Of course no place is perfect but we love McAllen.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:19 AM

2,611 posts, read 3,590,488 times
Glad you like it Chelito. The weather will be cooler than Miami, but still too hot for me, that's why I'm leaving to Colorado. Weather was the only major factor for leaving McAllen. It's grown quite a bit and gels together fine with Edingburg, Pharr, and Mission. And the nightlife is on 17th street.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:34 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
Can't believe you guys keep touting the weather. Lived down there for 20 years. It's not as bad as the northern winters, but still, that humidity is something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas