Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:48 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,511,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
best area or near area grocery store? and the name near big Bend National Park.

Big Bend Resort & Adventures near Big Bend National Park
Um, well, get ready to laugh Study Butte Mall. There's also another place near the "Study Butte Mall" (LOLOLOLOL!!!), don't remember the name. There are a few places in the park to get the most basic of groceries. Your best bet is to stock up in Alpine best you can. As I keep saying, the Big Bend area is really remote. I'm not kidding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 05:10 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,920,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Um, well, get ready to laugh Study Butte Mall. There's also another place near the "Study Butte Mall" (LOLOLOLOL!!!)
Tain't no joke, McGee!

From the resort web site referred to:
Quote:
Services at Big Bend Resort & Adventures include:
Enjoy the spectacular vistas, the phenomenal sunsets, shadowy canyons, and rugged desert mountains that visitors explore by road, river, and trail, in the largest protected area of the Chihuahuan Desert in the United States.
Do you see a word about service station, grocery store, library, health clinic, or for that matter a good saloon?

Most of those services - and several saloons - can be found at Presidio, about 90 miles upriver on the Rio Grande FM road.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Tain't no joke, McGee!

From the resort web site referred to:
Do you see a word about service station, grocery store, library, health clinic, or for that matter a good saloon?

Most of those services - and several saloons - can be found at Presidio, about 90 miles upriver on the Rio Grande FM road.

I absolutely love this, from the Study Butte Liquors link-

STUDY BUTTE LIQUORS, LOCATED NEXT DOOR TO STUDY BUTTE STORE, CARRIES A FULL LINE OF SPIRITS. HOURS ARE 10 am TO 9 pm, MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY, AND ARE ON AN "ON CALL" BASIS. THIS MEANS YOU GO TO THE STUDY BUTTE STORE COUNTER AND LET THE CLERK KNOW YOU WANT LIQUOR AND RINGO OR LA DONNA WILL OPEN THE STORE FOR YOU.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,204,174 times
So they don't do enough business to keep someone over there all the time. Makes sense to me. It's really remote out there. I love it!

Old 02-10-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
So they don't do enough business to keep someone over there all the time. Makes sense to me. It's really remote out there. I love it!
Yes, really remote! I've been begging my husband to take some time off so we can make another family trip out there.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:41 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,366,607 times
best advice for myself. for two months March April be at Big Bend Resort. best advice is to take months long food supply for the employee housing trailer in the auto during the road trip from Florida. thoughts?

Old 02-10-2010, 08:17 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,920,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
best advice for myself. for two months March April be at Big Bend Resort. best advice is to take months long food supply for the employee housing trailer in the auto during the road trip from Florida. thoughts?
Buy yourself a good handgun and learn to use it! Then keep it handy at ALL times, especially if you drive the river road to Presidio, which you will likely need to do since it's the closest source of civilization.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:29 PM

96 posts, read 209,790 times
I used to live there. From Big Bend it's 80 miles to Alpine, the nearest town of any size (a few thousand) and about 180 to Wal-Mart. Coming from Florida take I-10 to San Antonio then Hwy. 90 to Alpine and drop down on Hwy. 118. It's beautiful, very special country. I strongly recomend you visit, you'll be amazed.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:49 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,366,607 times
I am leaving Feb 28 from Florida to Big Bend Resort. Alpine, Texas any good grocery stores? recommend any inexpensive hotels along the way? such as red roof inn and super 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas