Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2010, 04:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times

Advertisements

I am not trying to change anyone's mind. This forum is for all readers who might get the wrong impression of Dallas. They might think it's some small hick town when it's not. Downtown Dallas is a sleeper at times. And that's a huge blessing. Who wants to be in overcrowded streets, bumper to bumper traffic from hell, and overpopulated sidewalks? The less people. The less problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Artsyguy, you act as if you are hellbent to change all our minds. My impressions of downtown Dallas haven't changed because of the videos. OK perhaps DTD gets busier on certain occasions, but I was there 3 weeks ago on a beautiful 75 degree Saturday afternoon and it seemed like a sleeper. I was impressed with all the handsome buildings and glitzy skyscrapers. The skyline illuminates very nicely at night. But for a city of over 1 million the downtown just felt dead to me. One would think there would be more retail,dining, and everyday people on the streets, and well there just wern't that many. Downtown Fort Worth just felt a lot more lively, albeit smaller but still more vibrant on what was just another day there. Being an outsider it captured the quintesential Texas character I had in mind before I got to DFW. Oh and Austin did not feel redneck at all when I was there, neither did Fort Worth. Both had a nice atmosphere.

I won't dismiss other Dallas neighborhoods, Uptown, Knox/Henderson, and Oak Lawn were all very clean, attractive, and inviting. But downtown should be the heart and soul of a city, a nucleus, a core, and DTD just doesn't feel like that. I'm sure it will get better but it's got a long way to go. When posters have fair criticism for my home city I either take it with a grain of salt or might even consider it as I know Boston has many imperfections as much as I love it. Thus I appreciate travelling to see contrast and differences that my home city doesn't offer. The 5 big cities in Texas all offer something special and individual character that others lack. So perhaps you might consider embracing that instead of an us against them mentality.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:55 PM

216 posts, read 444,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I am not trying to change anyone's mind. This forum is for all readers who might get the wrong impression of Dallas. They might think it's some small hick town when it's not. Downtown Dallas is a sleeper at times. And that's a huge blessing. Who wants to be in overcrowded streets, bumper to bumper traffic from hell, and overpopulated sidewalks? The less people. The less problems.
I'm quite certain nobody thinks Dallas is a small hick town at this point. But I guess you feel compelled to make sure people think all other Texas cities are? Look, Dallas has numerous amazing things about it. You couldn't convince me to leave this place for Fort Worth, Austin, or San Antonio. But downtown itself still has trouble attracting the bustling nightlife these other cities have found for some reason. We have great museums, performing arts centers, and it's very attractive, but perhaps a few less velvet rope clubs and more average joe bars, restaurants, and retail would help this place out a lot. Maybe better lit walkways and a larger police presence on the street. Little things would go a long way.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:36 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Downtown Fort Worth> Downtown Dallas

...enuff said

Old 10-25-2010, 07:31 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,951,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
It may feel like that, but 20K plus people live in downtown San Antonio - many of those art deco high rises are residential - that's about 4X the amount of people who live in downtown Dallas or Houston. I don't think the results of the 2010 census are going to change that ratio in a meaningful way.
Many of San Antonio's Downtown residents come from the single family homes south of Durango. Not the residential highrises.

As for Houston, the eastern side of Downtown (Main Street over), have really gotten more lively, with the additions of Minute Maid Park and Toyota Center, as well as the biggest development, Discovery Green. The clubs down Main are lively at night, and Discovery Green is always filled on the weekends.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:29 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Dallas's downtown caters immensely to high class shopping, eating, aquariums, and the arts. It isn't a redneck dump like 4th, 5th, and 6th street in boring and overcrowded Austin. There is class and sophistication in downtown Dallas that is absent in nearly every single Texas city minus San Antonio. And the modern skyscrapers and older buildings are amazing to look at.
You must have limited experience in Houston if you think Dallas's downtown is the only one like that in Texas!

Here's what downtown Houston has:
- The most visited aquarium in Texas thats located in a downtown
- The Upscale Houston Pavilions shopping Center
- The House of Blues
- Lots of Nightclubs
- Lots of Bars
- Lots of restaurants
- Houston's Theater District (one of the best in the nation, only one in Texas to win awards from International reviewers)
- Minute Maid Stadium (MLB)
- Toyota Center (NBA, AHL, & cultural events)
- George R. Brown Convention Center, one of the largest and one of the most maxed out (by space) convention centers in US
- The new Soccer Stadium is coming
- The underground shopping tunnel system, claims about 250 restaurants and food options, along with many shopping areas
- And Public Transit is available in downtown
- Tallest buildings in Texas, and some of the tallest in the country (and world)
- Lots of new residential places, and convenience stores, and stuff
- Great Urban Parks like Discovery Green, its beautiful, and others
- Centralized location to the entire Metro area

Those were just at the top of my head. But Downtown infrastructure wise, Dallas is no way ahead of Houston, they are about the same, in fact Houston is a little bit ahead (because of the sports stadiums being in downtown giving it the edge). But otherwise they are roughly the same, Dallas's downtown is in no way leaps and bounds ahead of Houston though.

Now Downtown Houston on weekends on Dallas Street (normally where I go for weekend party's and stuff) is pretty lively, but I am not going to say it can beat San Antonio (my favorite downtown atmosphere in Texas, and its not as lively as Austin either).

Old 10-25-2010, 02:06 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Uptown is merging with Downtown Dallas:

Old 10-25-2010, 03:10 PM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Uptown is merging with Downtown Dallas:
I saw that big white arch that is pictured in the middle while I was in Dallas a few weeks ago. What is that?

Old 10-25-2010, 03:33 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I saw that big white arch that is pictured in the middle while I was in Dallas a few weeks ago. What is that?
Its going to be the new bridge/s over the Trinity River.

Dallas is far behind Fort Worth on utilizing this natural resource.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:06 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Many of San Antonio's Downtown residents come from the single family homes south of Durango. Not the residential highrises.

As for Houston, the eastern side of Downtown (Main Street over), have really gotten more lively, with the additions of Minute Maid Park and Toyota Center, as well as the biggest development, Discovery Green. The clubs down Main are lively at night, and Discovery Green is always filled on the weekends.
Are the clubs still lively at night? I went down there a few weeks and there were very few people on the streets. Maybe they were all in the clubs?

Old 10-25-2010, 04:50 PM

216 posts, read 444,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Its going to be the new bridge/s over the Trinity River.

Dallas is far behind Fort Worth on utilizing this natural resource.

Fort Worth is no closer to their Trinity River Vision than we are to completing the Trinity River Corridor Project. Not sure what you're referring to here. A few people that go lay about in tubes in the sewage water? Count me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas