Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 04:05 PM

46 posts, read 121,540 times

Advertisements

WillysB awesome website! I found it VERY VERY informative, good lookin' out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 08:45 PM

491 posts, read 1,261,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LissieAnn View Post
Thanks ElectroPlumber for your insight, it’s much appreciated. I’m not looking for something exactly like the Gold Country (which you’re right the Gold Country isn’t flat but it’s more so the type of topography I’m looking for) as I also like the terrain of Oakdale, Newman and Redding-pretty much all of California’s farmland just am tired of the lifestyle out here. My fiancé and I just got back from touring TN, AL, and MS and weren’t too impressed with the land, especially the trees and would like to shift our focus away from the SE. Also making a living is something very important to us as we are young college students pursuing careers in law enforcement and psychology which brought us to look in the Texas forums. I have heard San Antonio, Austin into the east regions of Houston might have what we are looking for. What are your thoughts on the area?
Well, I would say you would probably like the Austin area the best. It's not terribly dissimilar from many cities in the Gold Country (although it doesn't necessarily look a lot like it). Also, Georgetown which is pretty close to Austin does remind me of Placerville and you could check it out too.

The Austin economy is pretty strong, but I have seen posts on that forum that seem to indicate that there are now a lot of applicants for many jobs because it has become the "hot" city to move to.

I'm actually a native Houstonian and lived there a long time. Houston has probably the strongest economy in the country right now. However, it definitely does not resemble the CA Gold Country. It is mostly flat although it has many beautiful trees. I couldn't sum up either the east areas of Houston or any area of Houston in one post. Instead, I'd just spend as much time as you can reading the Houston forum to get an idea of what it is like along with visiting the area (preferably in the middle of the summer so you can be sure that the heat and humidity will not be a factor for you).

San Antonio is another area that is different from other areas of Texas and also not really like the Gold Country. I'd also read that forum to get an idea of what it is like.

I wish you luck.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:02 PM

46 posts, read 121,540 times
Again, thanks! I have read a few posts about SA, Austin and Houston and they all seem to be very different cities, oh Lord, lol. I'll just keep doing my homework on the different cities and come late September I'll actually get to witness first hand what they look like. I think I'll be ok if I have at least the region narrowed down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas