Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 12:03 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times

Advertisements

I've visited DFW and Abilene and the accent there definitely feels more "western" and lighter than southern accents in Virginia, North Carolina, or Arkansas. I imagine East Texas would be more like Arkansas and Louisiana though. I was also surprised how many Hispanics from Texas do NOT speak with a Spanish accent and many have the southern and western accents even. This was cool cause in Maryland here almost all Hispanics are recent arrivals and don't speak much English at all.

In Dallas it seems there's not much of an accent and people sound like they could be from anywhere. On that note, Fort Worth and westwards does feel more western while Dallas feels like it can be anywhere in the country despite its Southern roots. The interesting thing is I've travelled to many places and Dallas especially has an all-American feel with little regional distinctions, at least compared to the southern genteelness of Richmond, the Bible Belt feel of southern VA, or the abrasive Northeast feel of New York and DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 01:56 PM

45 posts, read 128,975 times
I was born and raised in Texas. I have never lived anywhere else.
I have NEVER called coke - soda or pop! To me that is a Northern thing.
Oil is not "all". I would "take someone to the store" not "carry them".
I did have a Pap-pa and a Mam-ma.
I grew up around Lubbock and now live North of Amarillo. To me the young people from the Dallas or Houston areas sound nothing like Texans.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:08 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
My grandfather called it "pop", but that was long ago. He died in 1984 at age 87. Everyone I know calls a soft drink by its specific brand name.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:23 PM

624 posts, read 906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denda View Post
I was born and raised in Texas. I have never lived anywhere else.
I have NEVER called coke - soda or pop! To me that is a Northern thing.
Oil is not "all". I would "take someone to the store" not "carry them".
I did have a Pap-pa and a Mam-ma.
I grew up around Lubbock and now live North of Amarillo. To me the young people from the Dallas or Houston areas sound nothing like Texans.
I grew up in Texas and my kids are natives and we say Mom and Dad.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:35 PM

41 posts, read 113,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i honestly haven't heard enough native austinites speak to know what their accent sounds like, but assume it's just like the rest of central texas

the houston accent is definitely NOT standard american, and many born and bred (probably not most) houstonians have a considerably thick southern drawl. usually, the only ones who speak "standard american" are those who might of grown up in the outskirts or more upper class areas where there might be a high concentration of people not from the area
I was born and raised in Houston and I do not have a southern accent!!! And everyone that I talk to here was born here!!!!
YouTube - Texas accent

Old 09-25-2010, 02:38 PM

41 posts, read 113,204 times

YouTube - Texas accent (with music)
i was bored haha I did not mean to say that not everyone here in Texas talk with a country accent!!!

Old 09-25-2010, 05:26 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Texasboy123 ... You speak very well and sound just like I do and I'm from California. I really never understood why some people raised in the south speak with an accent and some don't. I live in rural Texas and many of the kids around here speak as you do but there are some who have accents so thick, I can hardly understand them.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:29 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Texasboy123 ... You speak very well and sound just like I do and I'm from California. I really never understood why some people raised in the south speak with an accent and some don't. I live in rural Texas and many of the kids around here speak as you do but there are some who have accents so thick, I can hardly understand them.
Exactly. It's not just the big cities that have neutral accents in Texas ,but small cities as well. In Waco; you can find many people who sound like Texasboy. I want to post up my accent because I don't think I really have a southern accent because many people say I sound like I'm from NOVA or DC.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:40 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasboy123 View Post
I was born and raised in Houston and I do not have a southern accent!!! And everyone that I talk to here was born here!!!!
YouTube - Texas accent
lol okay that's fine, but many born and bred houstonians do have a heavy accent. it's usually going to be people from lower income neighborhoods where there are not as many outsiders. it's pretty clear that the way you talk is influenced by the many transplants in the houston area

Old 09-26-2010, 06:30 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
I love accent threads here's my take

Houston/Beamount/PAT area-has a southern accent mixed with some South Louisiana dialect(trust me trace back alot of the fam tree of ppl who live in Houston esp black people and there fam will more then likely come from Louisiana or east texas) ex: here>>> heya/ down>>>dwon(or somethin like that)..just listen to those down,town,round sounds you will def. only find that in that area of Texas and that I-10 stretch

DFW metroplex area- def. has a southern accent on top of some dialect that you would find in east texas and the midwest or specifically the black ppl... ex: here>>>hurrrr/ there>>>thurrr

Central Texas(Waco/Temple/Killeen)- I think Waco has the thickest southern accents out of Cen. Texas and surrounding small towns like Mexia,Hillsboro and plus it's pretty close to Dallas and is pretty much right dap in the middle of Texas..but when it comes to places like Killeen or Temple..you hear an accent but not as thick..well Killeen it's so many transplant I don't really hear it unless there from another southern state

Austin/San Antonio- I think this area has it's fair share of southern accents but it will probably be more neatural then any part of the state..even alot of brothas n sistas coming out this area the accents arent as thick..it's more like pockets of southern accents more so then droves like other areas

East Texas- the area I was born and raised at the accents are super thick..esp. the smaller the area..I noticed certain words we pronounce at times sound like ppl from Southeast, ex: block>>>blOOOck(put the emphasis on the O and sometimes people don't pronounce the s in words(but it's not as bad as in Georgia)

As far as me growing up in East Texas aka Southern South aka Ark-La-Tex I've heard the countriest of the country(and that might have been country)..I've heard Oil pronounced with a r somewhere in there..matter fact a R is thrown anywhere in words it has no business being associated with..but I hear this from alot of black ppl all over Texas

Houston>>>Hureston
North>>>Nawf
Down>>>>Dwon or Dine
Talking about>>>>Talm'bout
You don't know>>>You aint know or Yeean know
I almost>>>>I damn near li'(like but without the ke)ta(to)

and yes people where i'm from always call a shopping cart a buggey and a refrigerator is a frigedeya oh not to mention Sodas are also call Sodar(with an ar) watwaaaaaa(water) not to mention again Whataburger is Waterburger

hopefully some people understood that..ha

also does anybody else call a cockroah a waterbug?? and use the term "fixin to go or finna go??"

Last edited by Redlionjr; 09-26-2010 at 06:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas