Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 06:15 PM

9 posts, read 15,250 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into moving to Texas at some point in the next few years, I am not intolerant of religious people at all, and I am not loudmouthed about my religious views. I am pretty conservative/libertarian.

I am just curious about the following:
Will I be harassed if people find out that I am not a Christian?
Do they actually do school prayer?
What parts of Texas would you recommend for me(ones that aren't super religious, but still conservative)?
Are the Christians there at least relatively tolerant, or not so much?
Is everybody always talking about Jesus (and such) or does that not tend to dominate conversation?

I think thats about it, thanks in advance you guys.

P.S. I currently live in MN, but its cold and filled with Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 06:59 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
You're an atheist Republican that's an actual thing?

You'll be treated horribly. We all sound like Bush and are psycho Christians. Stay away from Texas if you don't believe!

Old 10-29-2012, 07:10 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
No one cares if you're a Christian or not. Maybe if you moved to an extremely tiny town, you might get a visit from the local pastor inviting you to church, but no one is going to harass you about it. In the larger towns and cities you would have to make an issue of it to even get it to come up in conversation.

I seriously don't know where this notion comes from that everyone is Texas is a bible carrying, gun toting crazy nut job. Just like anywhere, there are Christians, there are non-Christians. Some people go to church, others don't.

To my knowledge, there hasn't been prayer in school in quite some time. IMO too bad. What with all the violence in schools nowadays, I don't think it would hurt to have God invited back into them. But like I say, that's just my opinion.

But as far as being a Christian or not being a Christian presenting a problem as to living in Texas, the answer is of course, no.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:23 PM

816 posts, read 1,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
You're an atheist Republican that's an actual thing?
There are some gay republicans out there, you'd be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
You'll be treated horribly. We all sound like Bush and are psycho Christians. Stay away from Texas if you don't believe!
I hope you're joking. Well, maybe in a small town but they aren't going harass you for being atheist for sure. This is not early 20th century. I'm a pretty strong Christian and I don't care if you're christian or not. I'm not going to shove down your throat about the bible.

You will most definitely be welcome in major cities in Texas.

As for school prayers, we've had them few years ago at Tyler Independent School District.

As far as finding conservatives who are atheist, you can find plenty in North Dallas area.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:00 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
No one cares if you're a Christian or not. Maybe if you moved to an extremely tiny town, you might get a visit from the local pastor inviting you to church, but no one is going to harass you about it. In the larger towns and cities you would have to make an issue of it to even get it to come up in conversation.

I seriously don't know where this notion comes from that everyone is Texas is a bible carrying, gun toting crazy nut job. Just like anywhere, there are Christians, there are non-Christians. Some people go to church, others don't.

To my knowledge, there hasn't been prayer in school in quite some time. IMO too bad. What with all the violence in schools nowadays, I don't think it would hurt to have God invited back into them. But like I say, that's just my opinion.

But as far as being a Christian or not being a Christian presenting a problem as to living in Texas, the answer is of course, no.
Agreed 100%. Especially in the big cities. We have ALL TYPES of people and ALL TYPES of faiths, etc. And yes we have Bible thumpers, too, but seriously there are many, many more religions and faiths besides Christianity in the cities.

Trust me atheists ain't gonna stand out. Try this - google "Houston atheists" and see the results that pop up.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:02 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
I'm a Texan who has believed for the past forty odd years, and with all my heart, that Jesus Christ is the risen son of God but I will heartily say to you, welcome to the conservative rural High Plains of west Texas if that is where you happen to land. We can always talk about music, old cars, tractors or something else you're interested in. There's not enough of us out here to run a feller off simply because of his beliefs.

BTW, my wife's family left Minnesota for west Texas in the 1920s.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:08 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
I know a heck of a lot of Republican athiests in the Dallas area. You can no doubt find the same in any city in Texas.

I am actually the opposite: a liberal Christian. And yes there are lots of those here too.

Bottom line is that this sort of stuff isn't really an issue in most places. Certainly in the major metro areas and even the mid-sized cities too. That is not to say you won't get a question about your faith (or lack there of) once in a blue moon, but I wouldn't call that harassment.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:17 PM

751 posts, read 1,481,661 times
If you proclaim your atheism as publicly and loudly as some proclaim their religion, you will get plenty of grief over it.

However that would be because of the volume of the proclamation, and not the subject matter. Most of us get along regardless of belief, but the loudmouths of any persuasion invite trouble, and there is almost always trouble readily available.

I can't claim adherence to any religion at all, but have had little trouble my whole life, apart from the loudmouths. btw, the same loudmouths that pick fights with other believers too

Old 10-29-2012, 08:24 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Stick to the metropolitan areas and you will be fine.

Texas is part of the Bible Belt but it is not really that big a deal as long as you don't start proclaiming to all that you don't believe in God. In smaller towns the folks will flock to you in order to "save" you but it is all done in a nice, if annoying, way.

It gets very hot and dry here so be prepared for it. On the other hand, you will probably love our winters.

Come on down.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:01 PM

9 posts, read 15,250 times
Wow, I am absolutely loving the responses guys. Thanks so much for the comments, I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas