Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:23 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
To most Texans, growth is good. Growth isn’t always good
I'm glad someone admits this. I hate that our country is hell bent on increasing population and development to the limit and Texas is almost completely based on growth. What will happen when resources like water and food and metals run low?

We can't increase forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 02:59 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
I'm glad someone admits this. I hate that our country is hell bent on increasing population and development to the limit and Texas is almost completely based on growth. What will happen when resources like water and food and metals run low?

Say that to China and India

Old 06-09-2010, 03:08 PM

China has a hundred thousand people a year dying from air pollution because of their stupid growth, and the poverty gap is huge in both countries as well. When the people lived off the land they didn't have tv's ,but they were better off in many cases.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:07 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
As a Hispanic observing the liberal Anglo population, the amount of white guilt coming from the left is just hilarious I've never met a more self-defeating and self-loathing group than a white liberal, pretty sad and pathetic really.

As for economic issues, what I can't get my head around how is consistent endless growth a good thing? Why do we always have to have a growing economy? Why can't we just have a good enough economy? Why can't we have just enough people, why do we need to keep raising our population, as if that's gonna give us some economic miracle? With such a high number of unemployed currently, more people is definitely not what we need

Old 06-10-2010, 08:07 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post

Why do you say our country is hell bent on increasing population? The US birth rate has been declining for decades and is at an all time low. There are no real government policies in place to encourage population growth except tax deductions for dependents (I think they should go away, like almost all deductions).

Recent energy to limit/deter immigration is strong evidence that much of the US wants better control of its population.

Economic growth will typically match population growth in a static economy. In a growing economy growth will exceed population growth due to improving productivity. Most, not all, people have inherent motivation to improve the quality of their life - whatever that means to them. That drives a desire to work, produce, consume, and live longer.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:17 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times
Japan, Germany, Poland, Russia... will have many problems with a loss of population, but the US will remain strong because its pop is the youngest of the developed countries and the most increasing too !

Old 06-11-2010, 12:23 AM

127 posts, read 277,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I don't think that the U.S. of tomorrow will downplay slavery by calling it the Triangular Trade system instead of the Slave Trade and by excluding Thomas Jefferson and Martin Luther King, Jr. from its history books.

The education system might deter transplants until Texas' image is cleaned up. Otherwise degrees and classes from Texas schools may be suspect or disregarded by employers and out-of-state schools, further continuing the Texas stereotype.
do you know where i can read about his from a nonbias site?

Old 06-11-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
The US birth rate has been declining for decades and is at an all time low
The birthrate for white Americans, but the birth rate of hispanics combined with a million a year of legal immigration equals a lot of growth.

Quote:
There are no real government policies in place to encourage population growth except tax deductions for dependents
Yes there are. Lot's of legal immigration and work visas, non citizens can become citizens by joining the military, "anchor babies" and other benefits attracting illegal immigrants, propaganda about how we have to have growth, Bill Gates asking congress for unlimited worker visas. Not to mention pregnancy medicare which I think should have a minimum age requirement and only be allowed to be used for two kids (I don't know if it has limits or not to be fair).

Old 06-11-2010, 01:40 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
CarlB - What do you want to happen? Do you want no immigration? Do you want a shrinking population?

I think the national sentiment today is strong to curb or limit illegal immigration. The US is full of legal immigrants - so most are OK with that.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:11 PM

I want our society to stop population growth, 308 million is plenty, actually too many people to take care of as it is.

We should cut legal immigration dramatically and stop paying for teens to have kids IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas