Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 11:15 AM

9,421 posts, read 11,173,162 times

Advertisements

What do people know about the Old West End, aka Old Town, in Toledo?
Some classics there. What's the neighborhood like?
Thanks, dwatt it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 AM

227 posts, read 626,523 times
The Old West End is on the West side of Collingwood and Old Town is on the East side of Collingwood. Often times people use the therm 'Old West End' to help sell things that aren't really in the Old West End. The Old West End is full of architecturally unique mansion-esque houses and an eclectic, friendly, and diverse community. Old Town is a little more transitional and has fewer remarkable houses. Both have some level of historic protection. Both neighborhoods are sandwiched between blighted areas. Both neighborhoods developed a bad reputation during the 70s and 80s because of white flight, red lining, disinvestment, etc, but have seen a huge renaissance and as I have said on here before, it is the worst kept secret that the Old West End is one of my favorite neighborhoods in the World.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,038,961 times
What about the Vistula Historic District? Any comments or concerns about that neighborhood?

Old 09-22-2010, 01:53 PM

227 posts, read 626,523 times
I think that Vistula has a lot of potential... I love all of the Italianate architecture, BUT... it has a reputation for urban decay and blight. I look for a lot of interest in that area in years to come, but I expect people will comment on safety and blight issues.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,520 times
thinking of investing in west end, old town area in a couple of 4 unit apts and what are the problems in the neighborhood and who would be in my tenet pool of renters humtdumt

Old 05-27-2015, 12:08 AM

896 posts, read 1,854,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humtdumt View Post
thinking of investing in west end, old town area in a couple of 4 unit apts and what are the problems in the neighborhood and who would be in my tenet pool of renters humtdumt
There's definitely a distinction between the two neighborhoods even though they are adjacent to each other. Old Town is more blighted and more crime. That's not to say revitalization won't spread over to that side of Collingwood but that's not going to happen in the very near future. Could be a smart investment for the future if you really fixed a place up but right now, your tenets over there are just going to be low income folks, and you know the unfortunate problems that come with living in poverty.

The Old West End on the other hand is more of a mixed bag. The core of the neighborhood, Collingwood, Parkwood, Scottwood, Robinwood, and Glenwood are all mostly beautiful stately historic homes that are well kept. These streets are nicer the further south you go toward Monroe St and the Art Museum. Once you get close to Central to the north or Detroit to the west, its drastically poorer and blighted. Many of the homes in the historic core though are split up into apartments though and depending on how nice the units are, can rent for several hundred dollars easily. Tenets looking to rent there will have more money and probably include students, artists, some professionals, and maybe some empty nesters. There's definitely demand for nice places in the Old West End though

Old 05-29-2015, 10:25 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
I agree with above, Old Towne and OWE are 2 different neighborhoods. That said, I am also looking into investing in Old Towne in particular.

Housing is cheaper and there are a lot of investment opportunities for multi-family properties.

That said, I would try to stay closer to Collingwood in Old Town or to Cherry/Franklin on the other side. Most of the interior of the neighborhood seems sparsely populated and kind of dilapidated. But it would be a beautiful neighborhood with some investment and populated with owners or tenants who are decent, stable residents.

In the Old Town neighborhood in particular, your target renters would be mostly low income. IMO, low income renters are not all that bad, most of my renters are, but you just have to make sure to be choosy with who you rent to in regards to rental history especially.

In OWE your pool of renters will open up more dramatically to include many students and professionals. OWE draws a higher rent than Old Town. So if you do go with Old Town be sure to look at multi-family. I am looking for a minimum of a 4 unit building there that is already set up as a 4 unit or above.

Also, I know that the Lucas County landbank had an 8 unit building on Fulton St. in Old Town up for sale for super cheap - under $5K. But it needed A LOT of work and I don't have the funds to invest in it to get it up to my personal standards. I wouldn't expect good tenants to live in a building that I won't live in myself so cheap renovations at places that need major upgrades is just not something I do. But they do offer some matching funds for many of their properties and you can get loans via programs endorsed by the city through the neighborhoods department to assist in renovations. If you are interested in Old Town.

The Landbank also has some OWE properties. They have on on Collingwood right now that a friend of mine is considering purchasing. There is also an apartment they had listed last time I checked on Parkwood.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:27 PM

3 posts, read 9,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmith View Post
I think that Vistula has a lot of potential... I love all of the Italianate architecture, BUT... it has a reputation for urban decay and blight. I look for a lot of interest in that area in years to come, but I expect people will comment on safety and blight issues.
The Vistula neighborhood was one of the first settled around and before the time that the city was founded, circa 1830s plus. There are many old, historic structures here but it is primarily inhabited by low income residents and is also one of the cities high crime areas. Vistula is the near north end and much of the north end is blighted and rampant with crime. There are many small, local restaurants to check out, though, so it's not to be avoided 100%; you just want to be super cautious, especially if you're considering residing there. I probably wouldn't recommend investing there, especially for appreciation, unless renting to low income is your strategy. In the historic portion of the Old West End (west of Collingwood, however) it is quite likely that property values will rise given increased interest in the neighborhood in recent years. Old Town is still a historic area but, as previously stated, is definitely transitional. One issue you won't have to deal with there, though, is having to obtain permission from the local historic commission for every exterior renovation you want to do.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:11 PM

911 posts, read 2,600,501 times
if toledo ever got their act together and fixed that part of town like fort wayne,indiana did with their historic side, they'd be one of the safer cities in america
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo