Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2018, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,495 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'll be moving to Toledo in a few months and found a potential apartment and was wondering if the surrounding area is safe.

South Reynold & Heatherdowns Blvd, in the Southwyck neighborhood (I'm assuming?)

Any info is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 07:22 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
I never lived there, but I did stay on the other side of I-80 from there for a night.

Decent at worst, good at best.

Locals will have better info, I'm sure.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:57 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
I have a friend who lives in an apartment in that area. "Decent at worst, good at best" is a great way to put it. It's really doing to depend on the specific apartment complex and even your individual neighbors. You're not going to find people shooting up heroin or prostitutes in the parking lot or anything like, but there may be some light crime or some trashy behavior. But there's plenty of decent hard working people and families, too.

I wouldn't steer you away, but make sure you visit at different times of day and get the vibe of the apartment complex. Try to meet a few potential neighbors.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:44 PM

Thank you for responding. I am specifically looking at The Reserve at Heatherdowns. It has very few reviews online, and I looked into a crime map of the area too, doesn't seem like anything out of the norm.

The main reason I posted on this forum is because I'll be moving from out of state and know absolutely nothing about Toledo/Ohio. I tried to do my best and figure out what areas/streets to avoid, and narrowed it down to this complex.

Any advice would be appreciated

Old 04-03-2018, 12:56 PM

896 posts, read 1,853,225 times
The area has been in decline for a little while now, especially since the mall closed but it's not bad.

There tends to be issues with crime anywhere in the city where there's large concentrations of apartment complexes but there's generally not much serious crime in the Southwyck area. Petty theft, probably some drug dealers, but nothing threatening that's going to effect your life in any way. Just lock your car and your apartment and I'm sure you'll have zero issues. All the businesses in the area, especially to the south in Maumee are perfectly safe.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:48 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
I'd ask where are you moving from - a city or non-urban environment?

Honestly, I have quite a few relatives who live in that area in what many around here would consider worse apartments than that one and they have never had a problem.

I personally don't like big apartment complexes and so that would be my only issue with the one you cite.

It is a decent area and doesn't have an exorbitant crime rate. If you are used to larger apartment complexes and urban areas IMO you'll be fine. Since it is a rent/apartment situation, you can always just move to a new apartment if you don't like it in a year when your lease is up.

Note that area is much more suburban in Toledo than more of Toledo's urban core. In that area there are a lot of senior housing complexes. Some are technically public housing for seniors but seniors don't really draw much crime or danger.

I think if it fits your budget you will be fine. One of my aunts has lived in a lower quality apartment complex in that area for about 10 years and she's never had a problem at all. She chose her apartment versus the senior housing complex because it was the same price and she has a pool and a 2bd instead of a 1bd with no pool. Lots of seniors stay in apartments in that area.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:22 PM

896 posts, read 1,853,225 times
I can't he bothered to look up any details but I feel like there's a disproportionate amount of big fires in apartment complexes around there.

That's what renters insurance is for though.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:43 AM

911 posts, read 2,599,499 times
if you move 10 minutes west down heatherdowns, the neighborhood improves greatly

Old 05-01-2018, 08:00 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions! I'm planning to go check out a few places in Toledo/Maumee/Perrysburg soon, fingers crossed that I find something nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo