Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:38 PM

12 posts, read 44,657 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We will be moving to Toledo in the coming months. We have 4 young children (ages 8,7,5 & 1) and need some insight with neighborhoods & schools. I know that Ottawa Hills, Perrysburg, Sylvania & Anthony Wayne are highly rated schools. What subdivisions in those areas would you recommend? We also saw some property in the Springfield & Rossford SDs. Not as comfortable with the schools there-Is private school a better choice? What catholic schools are in those areas and what are the tuition costs? We are hoping to travel to Toledo again this week and wanted to visit some schools before their year ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 06:42 AM

310 posts, read 1,210,049 times
Default move to Toledo area

Here is a link for school information. Hope it helps.

GreatSchools.net

Old 05-27-2008, 09:42 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
Just about any subdivision in Waterville is safe, friendly, and family-oriented. I grew up on River Rd. which was a wonderful place to be a kid! Though not a subdivision, we had over 3 acres, large home, built-in pool, river for canoeing and fishing, woods for building tree forts in, .....all the while being walking distance to town and the old elem. school (where I attended). There are many subdivisions in and around Waterville now, to fit any price range and lifestyle....and Anthony Wayne Schools are wonderful!

Old 05-29-2008, 02:57 PM

758 posts, read 2,889,700 times
sylvania, perrysburg, monclova, maumee are all nice. Waterville is great but definitely a little farther from the city.

As for schools, the catholic schools are all top notch and consistantly rated at national levels. I went to St. Francis and it was a GREATeducation. While I hate to admit it, St. Johns is good too, as are the two all girls schools (Notre Dame and St. Ursula). Central is a little lower on the bar, but a good school as well.

Not sure about the public schools in the suburbs, but the toledo city schools should be avoided at all costs. I always had a negative opinion of the two sylvania schools as "poor little rich kids with drug issues" when I was in high school, but that was the opinion of a 14-18 year old kid at the time based on interactions with a few students. I wouldn't base anything on that.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:27 PM

Dont' forget McCauley, the other Catholic girls' school....

Old 05-30-2008, 03:03 PM

914 posts, read 1,984,280 times
McCauley closed in 1988. The building currently houses the coed K-12 Toledo Christian School.

There are some other private schools not listed previously. Most notably Maumee Valley Country Day School which is pretty elite (and expensive). I have a couple of friends who graduated there 7-10 years ago. They have an absolutely amazing college-choice list by students.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:26 PM

McCauley closed?? Wow, am I (way) behind the times!

Old 06-01-2008, 09:44 AM

15 posts, read 69,648 times
If I was moving to Toledo, and had young children.. My first choice would be Sylvania. It's known for it's school system.. Of course you pay for it out of high taxes in Sylvania.

I must say all the Catholic schools in Lucas County are TOP NOTCH.. Central Catholic is mentioned as "lower" but actually its academic focus is higher than some others.. Over all I believe the tuition costs anywhere from $11,000 (Maumee Valley) to $5000 (Cardinal Stritch) For Private High Schools..

If Staying in Toledo Vs the Suburbs, my personal choice would be the South end of Toledo Nearer to Maumee. In general it's a nice area, quiet yet family oriented..

Old 06-07-2008, 07:00 AM

12 posts, read 44,657 times
THANKS for all the great info. I've been making random side trips to Toledo these past couple of weeks and visited many schools. After much aimless driving around the Toledo 'burbs, we feel "at home" in the Perrysburg area. My visit to the elementary school exceeded my expectations as well as the abundance of community event & activity offerings. We are excited about our pending move - now its time for some house hunting!

Old 06-08-2008, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 9,201 times
Welcome to P-burg! Born and bred here and moved back after college. My husband and I love it here. It's interesting someone mentioned public schools as being "poor little rich kids with drug issues" since that's how I view private schools now Our next door neighbor just had to move since their daughter got in with the wrong crowd at one of the private catholic girls schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo