Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 12:09 PM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times

Advertisements

Excerpts:

Tornadoes are becoming more frequent in populated parts of the United States and are often occurring as damaging clusters.

The changes in tornado behavior overall represent a major meteorological mystery.

"Tornado numbers have been pretty consistent as long as we’ve been keeping records," Harold Brooks, NOAA.

Tornadoes are expanding in space and time

Over the past 30 years tornadoes have begun to cluster, with far more months with either zero tornadoes — and far more punctuated by series of devastating storm complexes which may drop dozens. In the last 20 years, the U.S. has set 8 monthly records for the most tornadoes per month — and 7 for the fewest. “On days when tornadoes occur, more of them per event — and they’re occurring more often further east,” said Bunting of the Storm Prediction Center.

Rather, “tornado alley is expanding,” he said.

Brooks emphasized that the change in tornado patterns don’t yet rise to the level where individuals should change their migration decisions because of them.

For emergency managers in, say, central Tennessee, a 10 percent increase in tornadoes — while insignificant on the individual scale — is a substantially increased threat, leading to substantially increased costs, Brooks said.

That threat is magnified by the fact that while Western cities like Topeka, Kansas, or Amarillo, Texas may look roughly like their Eastern counterparts, the rural hinterlands of eastern states are far, far more densely populated. While a tornado 10 miles outside of Lubbock, Texas may do little damage, a tornado outside similarly-sized Birmingham, Ala., risks devastating many smaller communities.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...dont-know-why/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 12:29 PM

7,237 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Tornadoes are becoming more frequent in populated parts of the United States and are often occurring as damaging clusters.

The changes in tornado behavior overall represent a major meteorological mystery.
It is obvious. The jet stream has been weakening for a while now and more and more humid tropical air is making it north.

Old 04-16-2023, 12:53 PM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
deleted
not important

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 04-16-2023 at 01:07 PM..

Old 04-16-2023, 01:35 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
Tornado alley is expanding — and scientists don’t know why

My thinking is that weather and climate on Earth varies over very long time periods. We take measurements over 200 years to try and understand weather cycles that may measure in the thousands of years.
It's like watching the DOW for 5 days to predict year-end returns.

Old 04-16-2023, 02:21 PM

5,896 posts, read 6,097,533 times
I think F3+ tornadoes have been decreasing though? So if they're increasing in the east, than means they're decreasing a fair bit in the Great Plains?

Old 04-27-2023, 11:03 PM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
I am pretty skeptical of this kind of stuff. Everyone knows only a certain % of tornadoes are actually recorded as such and that % has gone up considerably over the years with (a) more population (b) everyone having a camera (c) radar technology being increasingly accurate in identifying tornadic circulations.

I do believe there's more or less random fluctuation both in frequency and location patterns. We've seen a time stretch where Central OK and North TX got relatively few violent tornadoes and there's more action in the South both earlier and later in the year than the classic April/May window, but then no-one can quite explain why the 1950s saw some very brutal tornadoes in the North and since then some of those states have not seen much in the way of them. It's been over 10 years since Michigan has even seen an EF-3. The last F4 happened 45+ years ago. Similarly it's going on 30 years since Wisconsin had its last F4. PA saw 7 violent tornadoes on one day - May 31st 1985 - they had seen one before and they've seen one since. And it's been 25 years since the last one.

Given that kind of randomness and the small numbers involved, i think it's probably fair to say that it's very difficult to arrive at causal relationships to explain them.

Old 05-07-2023, 02:10 PM

271 posts, read 294,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It's been over 10 years since Michigan has even seen an EF-3.
Not anymore. This record was broken last May by the Gaylord tornado, which was an EF-3.

Old 05-14-2023, 04:20 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Stupid ques maybe.
Is America the only place getting these tornadoes!!?
My God!

Old 05-14-2023, 08:34 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,097,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Stupid ques maybe.
Is America the only place getting these tornadoes!!?
My God!
Bangladesh and adjacent parts of India can get some bad tornadoes too.

Old 05-15-2023, 04:27 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Hey! I even surprised myself...that was not a stupid ques...I googled it:

''The United States has the most tornadoes of any country. Many of these form in an area of the central United States known as Tornado Alley. This area extends into Canada, particularly the prairie provinces and Ontario."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes