Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 11,428 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I think you got it exactly right.
Speaking from my personal experience, I really think interracial dating comes with a lot of baggage and it takes too much energy to maintain and sometimes takes a toll on everyone involved, especially the children.
Mostly its the cultural gap that persists between the different ethnic groups black, white, brown etc. It is really much more that just the skin color
When I see an interracial couple walking in the street I can only imagine how much added burden they have to reckon with either whether its from society, which has not quite come to term with it, or family members and friends who view this type of relationship as taboo.
In the two years I dated Tariq, we probably went out a dozen times, and I can't remember one single time that we didn't either argue or simply see things differently. Although he was very sweet, well mannered and very social in nature, these nice attributes alone do not make for a good or lasting relationship, let along a marriage.
Its interesting you brought up your uncle how he was very protective. In the inner city high school I went to, the majority of students were blacks, then Latino and there were many Arab Muslim and Christians as well. I remember one Arab student his name was Fadi(Christian), he was the sweetest thing you will ever meet and tough too. He was the big brother to all the Arabic girls both Muslim and Christians, and was extremely protective of all of us girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 05:11 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,729,878 times
Default ... :)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaya View Post
Hi,
I think you got it exactly right.
Speaking from my personal experience, I really think interracial dating comes with a lot of baggage and it takes too much energy to maintain and sometimes takes a toll on everyone involved, especially the children.
Mostly its the cultural gap that persists between the different ethnic groups black, white, brown etc. It is really much more that just the skin color
When I see an interracial couple walking in the street I can only imagine how much added burden they have to reckon with either whether its from society, which has not quite come to term with it, or family members and friends who view this type of relationship as taboo.
In the two years I dated Tariq, we probably went out a dozen times, and I can't remember one single time that we didn't either argue or simply see things differently. Although he was very sweet, well mannered and very social in nature, these nice attributes alone do not make for a good or lasting relationship, let along a marriage.
Its interesting you brought up your uncle how he was very protective. In the inner city high school I went to, the majority of students were blacks, then Latino and there were many Arab Muslim and Christians as well. I remember one Arab student his name was Fadi(Christian), he was the sweetest thing you will ever meet and tough too. He was the big brother to all the Arabic girls both Muslim and Christians, and was extremely protective of all of us girls.
Regarding the difficulty with inter-racial relationships. I actually think if depends. For example for me physical appearance ex skin colour would not make that much of a difference, but religious and cultural does make a huge difference and adds lots of stress. Despite being raised catholic and going to catholic school I have never been in a serious relationship with anyone who was Catholic or even Christian and I married someone that practices a different religion so I am the prime example of how stressful these situations could be. All religious holidays are crazy stressful because they cause huge conflict in my house ( so can't wait until January). December is like my least favourite month of the year now.

As a person raised Catholic who is actually not religious at all and a feminist for some crazy twist of fate always end up with men from very patriarchal cultures who tend to actually practice/ believe in their religions. Orthodox Jews, Jehovah Witnesses and Muslims ( to date I can't not even count the amount of times I have had to explain that, " no... we don't pray to the chubby old man giving children presents" , " no we are not praying to that tree", "yes the holy trinity think makes no sense ... but we believe it anyways" and "no we don't actually think it is okay to eat people because of the whole body of Christ/ host thing and blood/wine reference at church" . So if anyone ever wonders what other religious groups think of Christians, .. rest assured they totally think we are nuts too !).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto