Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 08:23 AM

881 posts, read 2,091,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The US can at least think about banning large-capacity magazines
What, pray tell, is a "large capacity"? Five rounds? Three? Ten? You do realize that in this case the murderer had multiple weapons which he had to reload...

Quote:
; special cop-killer type bullets (which the NRA resists doing);
Want to know how I know you don't know anything @ bullets?

Quote:
and military assault weapons;
Which have been illegal for public sale/ownership in the US since the 30's...

Quote:
limit purchasers to one gun per month, or impose a waiting period for suicidal people to calm down
You also seem to not realize that Mr. Lanza was denied a purchase thrice...

Quote:
; and close the "loop hole" exempting gun-show purchasers from background checks
Want to know how I know you've never been to a "gun show"?

Quote:
No one should respect
Quote:
continuing to allow civilians access to very high-powered assault weapons
except in this case, Mr. Lanza's choices were .223 and 9mm. Not a .50cal in the bunch
Quote:
, - nor would imposing any of those common-sense measures, in any way infringe on the rights of hunters.
See above...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,935 times
It should be mentioned here that the Obama administration allowed a school security program's budget to be axed.

Politicians talk from both sides of their mouths....on one hand he allows the budget for increased school security to be gutted while on the other saying he's going to form a commission to look into how government can act to stop such acts of school violence.

Seems to me that the school security program WAS one way the government could have helped to prevent such things!

Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,949,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Really, you're too scared to travel to Canada?
Then, you are ignorant of the real stats.

Rate of homocide, per 100,000 people
Canada, 1.6
USA, 4.2

Rate of Violent crime in Canada: 900/100,000.
Rate of Violent crime in USA: 380/100,000.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:24 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Really, you're too scared to travel to Canada?
Then, you are ignorant of the real stats.

Rate of homocide, per 100,000 people
Canada, 1.6
USA, 4.2
that was sarcasm.. I gather you did not get that from my post

hint: I mimicked what the OP wrote and replaced US with Canada

Old 12-19-2012, 02:52 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Theres a lot of people like my brother in Florida who easily have an arsenal of 50+ guns.so its not necessarily one gun per household.. As for the op's "The USA is a sick society"? he could have used a more tactful topic title as while the USA like most countries has its problems to solve most of the people in the USA are nice law abiding citizens and i dont think the few nut jobs that get a gun and shoot a bunch of people should be the criteria used to define America.
As the government cant be seen to be doing nothing over this latest massacre i'd expect legislation forthcoming addressing assault type weapons and mega round clips.
I was responding directly to another posters assertion that 90% of households have a weapon. Given the polarizing nature of the debate, that didn't make any sense to me. I found the Pew poll that indicated 47% of households may have a gun, which made much more sense.

Gallup polling indicates 47% currently.

My general rule of thumb to determine where the US might be politically on such polarizing issues is start at 50/50. Then one side or the other chips off supporters from the moderate middle to gather the political capital to spend to actually legislate one way or the other.

I agree with you that some legislation is coming down at this point.

The high profile, national news type killings in December have pretty well ensured that. Starting with the Javon Belcher (NFL player) murder/suicide. And continuing with Newtown.

The only question is whether the legislation will actually make any difference.

By the way, I'm in CA and own a revolver for home protection. No carry permit as I feel safe enough without it.

I do think that people from other countries hear our internal debate and the absolutists on both sides may be the loudest voices that get conveyed internationally. Either you are pro-gun or anti-gun. The reality is the debate has been parsed to the point that we argue about magazine capacity and if that gun is an "assault style" weapon.

I don't see those that are "pro-gun" suing to have fully automatic weapons made legal for personal possession (think Bonnie and Clyde and other famous gansters in the 1920's), neither do I see the "anti-gun" or "pro-gun control" advocates pushing an amendment to repeal the 2nd amendment and make all firearms illegal. Absolutists on both sides seem to fear that the other would do that if the political will was there.

Last edited by Senno; 12-19-2012 at 04:07 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 05:19 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I'm neither anti-gun or pro-gun. I don't own guns. I never have owned a gun. I don't want a gun. I don't give a rats rear end about guns. If one wants to own a handgun or rifle so be it. As long as they are responsible thats fine with me. Personally I do not understand the attraction. Nor do I understand the obsession with them.

I do think though that some people are so ridiculously paranoid. Its as if they are arming themself as if they are expecting an invasion. Im not liberal and I'm not conservative. I am a person though that is fed up, with the control the gun organizations have in this country. And that control sadly took control of our politicians. Making it seem like in order to be an American. One must own a gun, and spend time preaching we can't live without them. I'm sorry but I don't want one and if I had the power today. All assault rifles would be completely banned and anyone caught with one. Would pay a huge fine. No ifs, ands or buts about it. The money from the fines. Would be sent to every family that has lost someone thru these constant massacres.

When I heard that people actually ran out to buy more guns, after this Connecticut shooting. In fact the news reported, the highest gun sales in a long time took place this past weekend. I said to myself. These children and the adults that gave thier lives trying to protect them. They are not even in thier graves and these disrespectful jerks are out buying more guns. Fearing that strict control over guns will quickly come after this massacre. I am ashamed to be associated with these Americans. As far as Im concerned, many of them need to form thier own country and go there. I'm sure if one got to know them, the guns is just part of thier callous personality. There would be a whole slew of undesirable traits to go along with thier selfishness and paranoia.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:31 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I'm neither anti-gun or pro-gun. I don't own guns. I never have owned a gun. I don't want a gun. I don't give a rats rear end about guns. If one wants to own a handgun or rifle so be it. As long as they are responsible thats fine with me. Personally I do not understand the attraction. Nor do I understand the obsession with them.

I do think though that some people are so ridiculously paranoid. Its as if they are arming themself as if they are expecting an invasion. Im not liberal and I'm not conservative. I am a person though that is fed up, with the control the gun organizations have in this country. And that control sadly took control of our politicians. Making it seem like in order to be an American. One must own a gun, and spend time preaching we can't live without them. I'm sorry but I don't want one and if I had the power today. All assault rifles would be completely banned and anyone caught with one. Would pay a huge fine. No ifs, ands or buts about it. The money from the fines. Would be sent to every family that has lost someone thru these constant massacres.

When I heard that people actually ran out to buy more guns, after this Connecticut shooting. In fact the news reported, the highest gun sales in a long time took place this past weekend. I said to myself. These children and the adults that gave thier lives trying to protect them. They are not even in thier graves and these disrespectful jerks are out buying more guns. Fearing that strict control over guns will quickly come after this massacre. I am ashamed to be associated with these Americans. As far as Im concerned, many of them need to form thier own country and go there. I'm sure if one got to know them, the guns is just part of thier callous personality. There would be a whole slew of undesirable traits to go along with thier selfishness and paranoia.
This is what you have to begin to realize: There are vast swaths of this country where people do love guns and want even more. They are not a small minority. Anyone running for office in Texas that said one word about gun control would be unelectable. It is a fact.

We all have to come to terms with the fact that we shouldn't be in the same country together anymore. That is the bottom line. I don't want to be in the same nation with the state of Texas. There will never be a solution to this until we all realize the USA is far too politically divided, diverse, extreme, etc. etc. to share the same Fed Govt. I don't want anyone from Georgia or Texas having any say whatsoever over the gun laws in my state or region. I now long for the day I could live in a republic made up of the New England and mid-Atlantic states. I think we would all do fine. Let South Carolina and the states of the Confederacy have all the unlimited guns they want. Hell, I'm sure if they were free to do so they would legalize machine guns, rocket launchers, sarin gas, etc. etc. just to keep their new govt in check. Have at it as long as my state is not part of your country. Everyone should start working toward this goal to dissolve the US, so that we can finally have the responsive govt we all seek.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
This is what you have to begin to realize: There are vast swaths of this country where people do love guns and want even more. They are not a small minority. Anyone running for office in Texas that said one word about gun control would be unelectable. It is a fact.

We all have to come to terms with the fact that we shouldn't be in the same country together anymore. That is the bottom line. I don't want to be in the same nation with the state of Texas. There will never be a solution to this until we all realize the USA is far too politically divided, diverse, extreme, etc. etc. to share the same Fed Govt. I don't want anyone from Georgia or Texas having any say whatsoever over the gun laws in my state or region. I now long for the day I could live in a republic made up of the New England and mid-Atlantic states. I think we would all do fine. Let South Carolina and the states of the Confederacy have all the unlimited guns they want. Hell, I'm sure if they were free to do so they would legalize machine guns, rocket launchers, sarin gas, etc. etc. just to keep their new govt in check. Have at it as long as my state is not part of your country. Everyone should start working toward this goal to dissolve the US, so that we can finally have the responsive govt we all seek.
No thanks, i like all the states in our country....

Old 12-19-2012, 08:07 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,013 times
Quote:
Tom, it's nice to see that you're now, in effect, publically renouncing all of the times where you raved against anyone who hinted at the mere notion of state secession (and I'm sure that you've virtually eviscerated your shrine of Abe Lincoln mementos by now).

I'm sorry, Tom...I sincerely don't mean to harass you, but it's simply hilarious to see what can "change" in 30 days.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:39 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times
Quote:
We all have to come to terms with the fact that we shouldn't be in the same country together anymore. That is the bottom line.
Speak for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto