Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 09:30 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
Hardly, the LGR covered only single shot rifles. Most weapons are still strictly controlled.
NOPE! the LGR covered all rifles. We do have semi-auto's in Canada. Mag size is strictly limited.

It is also possible to own handguns in Canada should you desire with strict controls of that ownership in place. Application process is convoluted, ownership is limited to Sporting Range use only, permit for transport of weapon to and fro range is required.

Yes; it's difficult but not impossible to own a handgun in Canada; as it should be for legitimate uses!

Now is it just as difficult for criminals to own one? HARDLY! Hit a bar in the Jarvis/Finch area and flash some bucks around or make some inquiries of known gang affiliates (very dangerous process) in Bramalea or Brampton and once you "pass muster" you'll drive home with either a 9MM or .45 ACP. NOW comes the harder part; acquiring ammo or practice time with that new toy and perhaps performing the necessary gun smithing to make the thing comply to any kind of standards of operation, as who knows where it's been or how it's been mistreated.

Should your requirement dictate a "new or nothing" then you need to make a friend of one of the many thousands of truckers coming across the border daily to "smuggle" one across but that will take maxi-bucks as the risk to him is far, far greater. It's happening daily though.

Most Canadians do not avail themselves of these options for the simple reason they have neither the desire nor the perceived requirement to own one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 10:16 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
I'd like to live in a WORLD where I don't have to have an anal probing to get on an airplane too.

I could make a long list of similar things....... including not having to worry that the guy in that car isn't texting his girlfriend when I'm sharing the road with him on my motorcycle.

But since heroin, cocaine, meth, and drunk driving is completely illegal.....I never have to worry that anyone is doing any of that....right?
Whatever you say, the US government should take the example of other developed countries and step by step change gun laws and take measures with long-term goal of banning guns in the US altogether.

This is the only way to go. I do understand that it will probably take a long time to do that, but things change and people's perceptions about guns will change with the time if there is willigness to do so and leadership.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:41 AM

881 posts, read 2,093,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Whatever you say, the US government should take the example of other developed countries and step by step change gun laws and take measures with long-term goal of banning guns in the US altogether..
What mystical land is "gun free"?

Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,935 times
Quote:
Whatever you say, the US government should take the example of other developed countries and step by step change gun laws and take measures with long-term goal of banning guns in the US altogether.

This is the only way to go. I do understand that it will probably take a long time to do that, but things change and people's perceptions about guns will change with the time if there is willigness to do so and leadership.
How long have drugs been illegal? How long has the government tried to change perceptions about drugs? How well has that worked?

There are 30 million guns in the US (that are registered). How do you propose to disarm all those guns and how many people will simply break the law? How many criminals will comply with your laws?

Where gun bans have been lifted (like in Washington DC), gun violence has decreased. In Australia, gun violence didn't drop after guns were banned.

You're allowing an emotional knee jerk response to a rare tragedy control rational thinking.

Rare? Yes......out of 316 million people, there are extremely few who do things like what you saw in CT. The VAST majority of gun owners are responsible people. The VAST majority aren't "sick".

Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
The US undoubtedly has a higher violent crime rate than Canada and probably the entire western world, however, your conclusion the country is just sick and not worth going to goes too far. These random mass killings as unfortunate as they are are more sporadic than being a real threat to everyone's life.

I don't like the gun culture or think people should carry guns, but if it is part of the American constitution, it has its reasons and is part of the culture. We can respect it and don't be part of it. The US as a country is still an attractive place for people to do business in, to study in and to travel to.
Murder yes. Violent crime no. Canada's is double, according to Wikipedia.
Crime in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 12.6% of 7518 is 947 per 100,000.
Crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia See graph, upper right.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
How long have drugs been illegal? How long has the government tried to change perceptions about drugs? How well has that worked?

There are 30 million guns in the US (that are registered). How do you propose to disarm all those guns and how many people will simply break the law? How many criminals will comply with your laws?

Where gun bans have been lifted (like in Washington DC), gun violence has decreased. In Australia, gun violence didn't drop after guns were banned.

You're allowing an emotional knee jerk response to a rare tragedy control rational thinking.

Rare? Yes......out of 316 million people, there are extremely few who do things like what you saw in CT. The VAST majority of gun owners are responsible people. The VAST majority aren't "sick".
You're wrong. I always thought this way. The latest incident didn't change anything in my beliefs.

Your way of thinking is irrational, not mine. And by way, it's totally irrational to try to rationalize and discount tragedies like that to keep the status quo. The rational approach is to try to find a solution with the goal to prevent this kind of tragedies, as rare as they are. And the only answer is to eventually ban guns. Yes.

We'll never agree, you and me. I'll never take any of your arguments seriously, because, first of all, we are products of different time, culture environment and values, secondly, because your way of thinking is flawed from scratch, and last but not least, because, it seems to me that tragedies like that are very insignificant in your mind as you tend to look at the "big" picture: "The VAST majority aren't sick".

Why bother with the incidents like that, right?

Yeah, and the statistics that you have use in this thread all over again is screwed, useless. Gun control works, no question about that.

I've nothing else to add to this conversation. Let's stick to our guns.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
We'll never agree, you and me. I'll never take any of your arguments seriously, .
Yet those of us on the other side of the discussion are to take you seriously?
The reality is that we've (the US) has turned far too many of those unable to care for themselves (much less others) out into the world at large, and now we are to be surprised at the results?

Old 12-18-2012, 11:51 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times
Default agree and disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
The main point for citizens to be able to carry guns is to be able keep its own government in check when it's hijacked by rogue interests like corporatists and international banksters, exactly what's happening in the USA now. Once citizens disarmed government can bend over citizens as they please.

That's why hired elites push for banning guns (Bloomberg, Obama etc.) and Americans are buying guns and ammo in record numbers now. Gangs and sick people will always have access to guns, Mexico is an example. The only difference from banning guns will be: 1) you won't have right to protect yourself and your home from armed criminals and psychos (of course, criminals will always have guns); 2) government, if hijacked and corrupt, won't have any fear of its citizens and go absolute ape **** realizing its power.

So guns for citizens is a part of checks and balances systems to ensure tyranny won't easily happen. That's VERY important. In one of his books Solzhenitsyn expressed great regret people couldn't resist government operatives when they were coming for citizens at night, otherwise things could've been very different for that country.

By the way, Connecticut is one of the 4 states with the toughest gun laws in the US and that school was in a gun free zone, so obviously fewer people could try to stop the massacre there. If it was happening in Texas, it could have been less victims. On the other hand, it probably could not happen in Texas at all.
I agree with your reasoning that the right to bear arms was primarily as a protection against our own government. HOWEVER, we don't allow people to own bazookas, or .50 caliber machineguns, or hand grenades, all of which could be even more effective against our own government. So the argument is not about having ANY gun control, it is about which guns should be controlled.

I think to own or sell a automatic weapon can and should be illegal. I think rifles with more than six-eight round clips should be illegal for everyone but police officers. Saying no to any kind of reasonable control is in effect placing your vote for children dying to protect your right to have a gun that is far beyond home defense. A shotgun will work just fine for that. And if your government is going to use military to "take us over", they will be running Abrams tanks down the street and then you need the bazooka or a LAW. Are you really proposing we let those be legal, because that's the only way you can be sure citizens can fight a modern, technologically advanced military?

Last edited by Wardendresden; 12-18-2012 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-18-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Yet those of us on the other side of the discussion are to take you seriously?
The reality is that we've (the US) has turned far too many of those unable to care for themselves (much less others) out into the world at large, and now we are to be surprised at the results?
You created this reality yourself. Your screwed way of thinking created it.

It's the time to return back to normal.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
you created this reality yourself. Your screwed way of thinking created it.

It's the time to return back to normal.
wt???

Quote:
I think to own or sell a automatic weapon can and should be illegal
And has been in the US for over half a century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto