Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 06:33 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times

Advertisements

Of all things, my local paper had a commentary on the Toronto mayor. What a "unique" politician. Sounds like he believes in fulfilling promises. But, on the other hand, his reverence for the law seems marginal. Now that I think about it, he reminds me of Gov. Jesse Ventura.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 07:04 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
He's so the wrong mayor at the wrong time in the city's history.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:23 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,823 times
All I will say is that HE IS THE WORST MAYOR POSSIBLE FOR THIS CITY AT THIS TIME IN ITS HISTORY. Besides his many personal flaws (which wouldn't matter all that much if they weren't so obviously hampering his ability to be an effective mayor), Rob Ford is an example of Mike Harris's amalgamation chickens coming home to roost. From now on, I expect Toronto will have a lot more councillors from the suburbs running the city, and the results - as we've seen - aren't pretty. You can call Scarborough, North York and Etobicoke Toronto, but that doesn't make them the same thing, and what's good for one may be very bad for the other - and vice-versa.

These competing interests are one of the reasons Toronto will probably still be without better transit twenty years from now - the suburbs want subways despite the lack of population density and ridership to support them. On the other hand, the downtown desperately needs relief lines, but suburbanites scoff at paying a dime to fund any transit scheme that doesn't give them subways, even if what it does give them is exactly what is needed and can be afforded - light rail. Just one example of how amalgamation is screwing the city almost twenty years later, and will continue to haunt us for the foreseeable future. Toronto is just too different from it's "boroughs" to be lumped together as they are. Rob Ford is a product of this, but he is also a sorry SOB who has no business sitting in a mayor's chair anywhere.

Last edited by TOkidd; 05-25-2013 at 07:36 PM..

Old 05-25-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
All I will say is that HE IS THE WORST MAYOR POSSIBLE FOR THIS CITY AT THIS TIME IN ITS HISTORY. Besides his many personal flaws (which wouldn't matter all that much if they weren't so obviously hampering his ability to be an effective mayor), Rob Ford is an example of Mike Harris's amalgamation chickens coming home to roost. From now on, I expect Toronto will have a lot more councillors from the suburbs running the city, and the results - as we've seen - aren't pretty. You can call Scarborough, North York and Etobicoke Toronto, but that doesn't make them the same thing, and what's good for one may be very bad for the other - and vice-versa.

These competing interests are one of the reasons Toronto will probably still be without better transit twenty years from now - the suburbs want subways despite the lack of population density and ridership to support them. On the other hand, the downtown desperately needs relief lines, but suburbanites scoff at paying a dime to fund any transit scheme that doesn't give them subways, even if what it does give them is exactly what is needed and can be afforded - light rail. Just one example of how amalgamation is screwing the city almost twenty years later, and will continue to haunt us for the foreseeable future. Toronto is just too different from it's "boroughs" to be lumped together as they are. Rob Ford is a product of this, but he is also a sorry SOB who has no business sitting in a mayor's chair anywhere.
Transit there may be less than residents want, but let me assure you it is far better than practically every city I've visited in the last few years. Torontians are really spoiled. When you make your comparison, what cities are you benchmarking against? I keep telling people where I live how I got on the system and stayed in it to get to distant suburban destinations. Not only that, the segments were on time! And the riders were disciplined. None of this "Oh do I have my fare?" while the bus sits and waits and people in the line behind who already found their fare steam. But sure, there must be better. I just want to ride THAT transit while still able to enjoy it.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:19 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Transit there may be less than residents want, but let me assure you it is far better than practically every city I've visited in the last few years. Torontians are really spoiled. When you make your comparison, what cities are you benchmarking against? I keep telling people where I live how I got on the system and stayed in it to get to distant suburban destinations. Not only that, the segments were on time! And the riders were disciplined. None of this "Oh do I have my fare?" while the bus sits and waits and people in the line behind who already found their fare steam. But sure, there must be better. I just want to ride THAT transit while still able to enjoy it.
They are comparing to other Canadian cities. Frankly, every Canadian city punches above its weight in transit compared to American burgs. As such, the fact that our largest city doesn't punch higher is embarrassing, its subway isn't even as extensive as Chicago's, the city most similar to it. There's a huge demand for it and the city can't get its act together to deliver what the people want and need.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:23 AM

Visited last year and it seemed fine to me. Guess my standards are really low.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:55 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,723,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post

Transit was the responsibility of Metro so as much as I opposed and still dislike amalgamation I don't think this explains it.

The Downtown Relief Line would benefit suburbanites too...but somehow it's perceived as benefiting "only" downtowners. Maybe they need to change the name!

Old 05-26-2013, 05:56 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,723,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Of all things, my local paper had a commentary on the Toronto mayor. What a "unique" politician. Sounds like he believes in fulfilling promises. But, on the other hand, his reverence for the law seems marginal. Now that I think about it, he reminds me of Gov. Jesse Ventura.
...or Silvio Berlusconi, Marion Barry or Buddy Cianci.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
...or Silvio Berlusconi, Marion Barry or Buddy Cianci.
Yeh, they compared him to Marion Berry. Then there's Kwame Kilpatrick of Detroit.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:39 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
he may not be the greatest mayor, but how our leftist media such as the Star repeatedly reported about him in the darkest possible light is basically harassment. It is more like a personal vendetta than impartial news reporting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto