Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 11:36 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,081,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Also, sects that are proponents of polygamy are not allowed to freely practice their religion in Canada. In many cases women say that they are willingly entering polygamous relationships and that it is a part of their culture and the word of their god. Where is freedom of choice or religion in these cases?

Liberalized social mores have basically made the ban on polygamy a moot point anyway, and the only real impact than the ban has these days is related to taxation-related advantages from being a couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 11:38 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,601,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
True. It is habit and trandition.
However, after moving to Canada, and if given the choice and flexibility (in the absence of fear from men), do you really think most of them will still voluntarily choose to wear those knowing that they don't have to whatsoever and there is no consequence from not wearing them?

An outright ban might be controversial and probably deprives those who truly want to wear burqas, however, I think it liberates more from "having to wear them". Here, I think the pro outweighs the con.

I think the number of women who think "I have to wear them due to my religion to avoid criticism" must be significantly higher than thos who think "I really want to wear them even if the men don't expect me to". Don't you think?
I'm sure many may not want to wear it but then again some may want to, it will depend on the person and their upbringing. I just don't have enough information to determine the actual split, just like we don't really know who is being oppressed and abused behind closed doors. We just don't know. I'm also pretty sure 95% of their children raised in the west will probably not wear it so I don't believe this tradition (which does seems odd and backwards to me too btw) will last anyways. Wearing a Burqa's to the office, school, government offices, etc. is something I don't agree with but what people do in the privacy of their own home or in a public place is none of the government's business unless they are causing harm to somebody and we can prove that.

Last edited by johnathanc; 08-23-2013 at 11:47 AM..

Old 08-23-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
No. That is not true. I am not allowed to walk naked (bad decision) in public.
This is not really a good example because public nudity is generally a"minimum" standard that is common to all contemporary human societies.

The burqa is the exact opposite direction. There is a bare minimum that you have to wear, but beyond that we don't specify how many layers are too many.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I am getting there. You just need to go all the way and I will be joyous.
Ooh the pressure. I fear you may be disappointed.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:52 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,439,777 times
I would urge those who are serious about this issue to watch this brilliant TED TALK about Science and Morality. If you dont have time to watch the entire thing, skip to approx. 10:00 min for Sam Harris' take on this burqa issue. It is just brilliant!

Sam Harris: Science can answer moral questions - YouTube

Old 08-23-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I'm sure many may not want to wear it but then again some may want to, it will depend on the person and their upbringing. I just don't have enough information to determine the actual split, just like we don't really know who is being oppressed and abused behind closed doors. We just don't know. I'm also pretty sure 95% of their children raised in the west will probably not wear it so I don't believe this tradition (which does seems odd and backwards to me too btw) will last anyways. Wearing a Burqa's to the office, school, government offices, etc. is something I don't agree with but what people do in the privacy of their own home or in a public place is none of the government's business unless they are causing harm to somebody and we can prove that.
I agree with this. Sums up my view too.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:09 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,739,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A few months ago I was listening to the CBC Radio show Intersections and they were talking about a new city pool in the Toronto district of Regent Park that had been newly built or renovated. They set up curtains on the windows that are pulled down for women-only swims that are meant to accommodate the concerns of muslim women in the community.
We shouldn't build women-only anything in Canada.

For example, there are plenty of women-only gyms in Toronto, which basically says "men are not allowed". However, why aren't there men-only gyms which prohibit women from entering?

Our world is full of reverse discrimination like this. For example, there is Miss Black USA where only black women can compete, but if someone proposes a Miss White USA then that would be racial discrimination.

If the Muslims can't adapt to the mainstream culture, it is easy, just don't move here.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
We shouldn't build women-only anything in Canada.

For example, there are plenty of women-only gyms in Toronto, which basically says "men are not allowed". However, why aren't there men-only gyms which prohibit women from entering?

Our world is full of reverse discrimination like this. For example, there is Miss Black USA where only black women can compete, but if someone proposes a Miss White USA then that would be racial discrimination.

If the Muslims can't adapt to the mainstream culture, it is easy, just don't move here.
And this is a good example of what I was talking about in my rant in post 129. If there was talk of segregation in any other form the people I was talking about would scream bloody murder, but this type of segregation, in the name of "cultural opennes" is somehow OK?

Old 08-23-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
This is the kind of pseudo-libertarianism that I do not understand.
You keep saying things like I dont agree with the burqa, it seems backward, etc. You want to ban it at schools, offices, etc. But you are okay with it in other places? Isnt this the not in my back yard syndrome?

So as long as your family or your neighbors do not have to deal with this ... you are okay with it! If it is bad, it is bad. It cannot be okay in a park and not be okay in your kid's school.

And what do you mean by office? Whose office (government vs private)? You mean the work place in general? You are saying that the burqa be banned in all workplaces? If you are, then that essentially means that you have banned the burqa (and we are splitting hairs).

Old 08-23-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And this is a good example of what I was talking about in my rant in post 129. If there was talk of segregation in any other form the people I was talking about would scream bloody murder, but this type of segregation, in the name of "cultural opennes" is somehow OK?
Yes! I forgot to mention it, but your RANT has been your best post in this thread.
And my post #139 is also adressed to you (since you agree with johnathanc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto