Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 04:14 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times

Advertisements

To all the Olympic naysayers - here are the fireworks launched from the CN Tower at the finale of the Pan Am closing ceremonies for a bit of inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iJ3cfNjpRs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 04:20 PM

Am Games Closing Ceremonies by Marcus Mitanis, on Flickr

Old 07-29-2015, 09:38 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
In red Botti i'm not too sure about that.. We'll see but I think the Pan Am games could have been a catalyst to get the public support needed. A lot of people I know have in one way or another taken part in the games and enjoyed what they engaged in - A lot of 905's supported these games too! It was a rough start with the media especially having its hand in negative publicity but once the people in the city got into things, it really has taken a positive turn.

Don't forget, Toronto has already put in bids before for the Summer Olympics and although wasn't successful could have very well been so and would have had no choice but to follow through. I think if the city gets awarded the Olympics, the people of the city/region will get behind them more than those who don't. You'll always get the naysayers anywhere and like anywhere the naysayers are always the LOUDEST.... even if they are a minority.
I do notice that the comments under the Olympic related news articles are predominantly negative (like 95% of them), and everyone is like "No, thank you". I don't know if that really represents the general attitude towards the matter or because the naysayers are the loudest.

Although I am fully supportive of another bidding, the cost is indeed a concern for the city. Toronto doesn't have a stadium large enough for the Olympic events as far as I know so there is a lot of uncertainties in that and if the city does decide to go ahead and is successful, it needs to find a more smarter and non-traditional way to fund the project.

On the other hand, the mayor is eyeing the 2025 World Expo
Mayor Tory has his eye on World Expo 2025: report

I will be happy with either. However, I found a lot of argument for the bidding which says it will improve infrastructure projects rather weird. So Toronto has degraded to such a level where we can't build anything needed unless there is a giant 3 week sports game to take place? Are we supposed to build transits and improve public space for its residents, or for a short sports event? I mean, isn't the need obvious enough (judging by horrible congestion and inadequate transit) not to require a big event put a deadline? So far the genius politicians are still debating about the Scarborough subway. Democracy is one thing, this lack of decision or action represents anything but democracy.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:00 AM

3,869 posts, read 5,294,693 times
LA's stance on the taxpayer financial agreement. If LA is hesitant to sign the agreement, with their Olympic infrastructure in place (Including an Olympic stadium) then its tough to see another city in North America doing the same.

L.A.'s Mayor Garcetti is mum on financial pledge for 2024 Olympics - LA Times

I say Toronto should go for the Expo 25 and also piggyback onto a USA World Cup bid for 2026 as one of the host cities.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:25 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,729,878 times
Default Nice picture!

Quote:
Am Games Closing Ceremonies by Marcus Mitanis, on Flickr
Are you/ someone you know taking these pictures? What kind of camera are you/they using? I need to upgrade soon.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:41 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,176,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I do notice that the comments under the Olympic related news articles are predominantly negative (like 95% of them), and everyone is like "No, thank you". I don't know if that really represents the general attitude towards the matter or because the naysayers are the loudest.

Although I am fully supportive of another bidding, the cost is indeed a concern for the city. Toronto doesn't have a stadium large enough for the Olympic events as far as I know so there is a lot of uncertainties in that and if the city does decide to go ahead and is successful, it needs to find a more smarter and non-traditional way to fund the project.

On the other hand, the mayor is eyeing the 2025 World Expo
Mayor Tory has his eye on World Expo 2025: report

I will be happy with either. However, I found a lot of argument for the bidding which says it will improve infrastructure projects rather weird. So Toronto has degraded to such a level where we can't build anything needed unless there is a giant 3 week sports game to take place? Are we supposed to build transits and improve public space for its residents, or for a short sports event? I mean, isn't the need obvious enough (judging by horrible congestion and inadequate transit) not to require a big event put a deadline? So far the genius politicians are still debating about the Scarborough subway. Democracy is one thing, this lack of decision or action represents anything but democracy.
Can you not tie everything back to a cheap attack on Canada's political system? If you are so damn gung-ho with authoritarian bull-dozer style decision-making then by all means, China and North Korea should be your top immigration destinations.

Also, even Tory made it very clear in his response to whether Toronto should host Olympics, and that is the reality of large-scale events is that they put a deadline to get things done. I'm sure we'd all be happy if everyone in government and private sector works together everyday like they do before an Olympics, but that's just not the reality of how humans actually behave. Tory understands this fact very clearly, and he's willing to use another large scale event to speed things up in other areas of the city. Idiotic tactic? Yes. But it works every single time.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Comments sections of news articles - you for real? Only people who complain are attracted to those.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Are you/ someone you know taking these pictures? What kind of camera are you/they using? I need to upgrade soon.
Oh i'm not taking them - just flickr pics that are found in the public domain.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-29-2015 at 05:08 PM..

Old 07-30-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Can you not tie everything back to a cheap attack on Canada's political system? If you are so damn gung-ho with authoritarian bull-dozer style decision-making then by all means, China and North Korea should be your top immigration destinations.

well from someone who loves freedom of speech so much, all of a sudden I can't even express my discontent with the Canadian government and how it works.

OK, OK, everything is perfect here, best democracy and freedom. Everyone other country is envious. Let's call it a day.

While you are unhappy with me "tie everything back to a cheap attack on Canada's political system", you don't seem to miss a single chance to engage cheap attacks on China. I at least live in Canada/US for 10 years, what's your knowledge based on, textbooks and English media? Unlike most Canadians, I am not totally brainwashed into believe any system other than "democracy" is evil and people living under it needs some sort of liberation. Trust me, those people live just fine.

The North Koreans are fine, too really don't worry about them so constantly, especially when you haven't set your step there once, what makes you so confident that it is so inferior? How many times did you start cheap attack on North Korea when it has nothing to do with North Korea? Like that's justified while against Canada is just wrong.

I will keep attacking Canada's political system. That's my right. And where I move to is nobody's business.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Comments sections of news articles - you for real? Only people who complain are attracted to those.
that's true. Even today's news reporting opening of the island airport pedestrian bridge was met with 100 negative comments. Examples:

Great. Now for step 2: close the stupid airport and convert it into a park!

Now you have the UPS to Pearson and a tunnel to Toronto Island then you can close the Island Airport and have them fly from Pearson. Now the island can belong to the citizens not a corporation. Look at the tourist dollars you can make.

The cross channel ferry WAS A JOKE !! I could kick a soccer ball across that channel !!

I'd be too frigthened to go down there. What if they didn't build it strong and the lake falls on you? (best one, where was he raised, South Pole? )

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto