Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 01:19 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

agreed BK other than Pan Am technically is the largest sporting event in Canadian history - more participants are taking part in the Pan Am games than even the YVR winter Olympics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 01:24 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post

As to the party, you have your right to party and I have my right to complain, this city is not just for you either!
C'mon man - there are plenty of leafy green options for boring suburban life in the Toronto area... Some areas and especially the DT core and immediate surroundings should be the centrepiece of events in the city.. They bring in dynamic life to the city and ensure that the whole place isn't like Etobicoke, North York or Scarborough or will you be happy if Toronto moves in the direction of having a Houston like DT which essentially becomes abandoned after 6pm - thanks but no thanks but yes - they'll always be whiners/nimbys I just hope your type are overruled.

Anyway, I don't have a lot of sympathy for you at all - events like Pride have been going on for decades now well before you moved to Toronto.. You should have done more research into what you were getting yourself into - taxpayer or not! Its like people complaining about aircraft noise after moving close to Pearson International airport - like hello you knew you were moving close to the airport and yes there is going to be noise - noise pollution is part in parcel of living in a growing large city...

Last edited by fusion2; 07-04-2015 at 02:19 PM..

Old 07-04-2015, 03:22 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
All I know is that we have been enjoying the restricted HOV lanes when heading downtown from Ajax this week. Got from westney to Richmond station for dinner on Tuesday night in no time.

Otherwise I have to admit no one we've spoken to has been all that excited about the games. Hopefully it is a success though, as long as you get some infastructure changes and end up breaking even or running a surplus it has to be a success. Also hopefully this blossoms into a focus on youth development in sports other than hockey in Canada or even just Toronto in general.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:40 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Talk about being in the right place at the right time. Was just running into a local grocery store to get something and just got there as the Pam am game torch relay was passing! Pretty cool. Never seen that before. Come on people of Toronto the party is here!!! Time to take part. If you are not from Toronto and reading this YOU need put this city on your to do list and don't listen to those self hating Torontoians! My guest from Paris that was here for 3 weeks in May keeps on e-mailing me raving about how he wants to come back and about how much he loved Toronto. I think we are too spoiled to appreciate how LUCKY we are!

Old 07-05-2015, 10:02 PM

Default The city has lots of options for all lifestyle preferences

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
C'mon man - there are plenty of leafy green options for boring suburban life in the Toronto area... Some areas and especially the DT core and immediate surroundings should be the centrepiece of events in the city.. They bring in dynamic life to the city and ensure that the whole place isn't like Etobicoke, North York or Scarborough or will you be happy if Toronto moves in the direction of having a Houston like DT which essentially becomes abandoned after 6pm - thanks but no thanks but yes - they'll always be whiners/nimbys I just hope your type are overruled.

Anyway, I don't have a lot of sympathy for you at all - events like Pride have been going on for decades now well before you moved to Toronto.. You should have done more research into what you were getting yourself into - taxpayer or not! Its like people complaining about aircraft noise after moving close to Pearson International airport - like hello you knew you were moving close to the airport and yes there is going to be noise - noise pollution is part in parcel of living in a growing large city...
You can have both options tranquil and hyped up in this city. I live in a part of the city that looks like cottage country. Walk 10 minuets from home in each different direction you get different vibes. Hop on a bus or subway for $3 you can explore a whole new interesting area. Each day if you choose to you can find something different, new and exciting to do in this city. I am actually getting overwhelmed by all the stuff there is to chose from to do. There just is not enough time. This weekend alone there were 3 really cool festivals and not to mention a gazillion concerts and other events ( I only had time to go to 2 due to a scheduling error on my part ... Enjoyed Salsa on St Clair and Afrofest ... Both good... line ups to buy food were a pain in the butt so I did not exactly get to eat, but I guess I can just make my own empanadas ! I really hope the stores on St. Clair West made some money because that area has some cool places, but not enough traffic so I find things tend to close fairly fast. Re noise .... My take is bring it on. In most area it is only for a short time. Re traffic due to the pan am games. ... Suck it up and take public transit, walk or car pool it's only for a few weeks. Who knows the change in your routine could be exciting or inspirational!

Old 07-05-2015, 10:04 PM

800 posts, read 730,356 times
HOv lanes are dumb but o well.

Imo toRonto is pretty dead come 2 am or so. You would definitely hate Manhattan if u can't stand noise after 2 am. Lol.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:24 PM

I think more people should work staggered hours... I hate the 9 to 5 concept. There are 24 hours in the day.... That would probably lessen some of the traffic congestion.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:54 AM

281 posts, read 327,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I think more people should work staggered hours... I hate the 9 to 5 concept. There are 24 hours in the day.... That would probably lessen some of the traffic congestion.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:45 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
HOv lanes are dumb but o well.

Imo toRonto is pretty dead come 2 am or so. You would definitely hate Manhattan if u can't stand noise after 2 am. Lol.
I think that's fine with 97% of the city's population. I go to bed before midnight since ... forever. I fail to understand why people have to "have fun" after midnight often at the expense of annoying regular people and then end up sleeping past noon with puffy eyes and an hangover. That's makes no sense to me and definitely doesn't sound cool to me at all.

Regarding Pam Am, no I don't care about it, nor does most of the world. However, I do wish it a big success so that Toronto will be more prepared for a real international sports events that people actually care about.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:04 AM

284 posts, read 492,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
agreed BK other than Pan Am technically is the largest sporting event in Canadian history - more participants are taking part in the Pan Am games than even the YVR winter Olympics
The actual numbers (based on a quick Google search):

2010 Vancouver Olympics- 2566 athletes, 86 events, 15 disciplines.
1976 Montreal Olympics- 6084 athletes, 198 events, 21 disciplines.
2015 PanAm projection- 6135 athletes, 364 events, 36 disciplines.

Anyway, it is a very big event, but track and field, swimming, diving, boxing, gymnastics, cycling, rowing and many other sports do not have a huge following in Canada, or the US, so may not attract many local or cross-border spectators.
Personally, I have tickets for one day's events at York University as I am a track fan, and I look forward to watching many of the events on TV, especially the men's 100M because of the new Canadian sprinting sensation, Andre deGrasse. (Cam Levins and Mo Ahmed, Nicole Sifuentes, Brianne Thiessen-Eaton and Sheila Reid, and Dylan Armstrong in shot putt and Fleabag McCabe in swimming are other Canadians I want to watch.)

I would agree that the games presented an opportunity to redevelop parts of the waterfront and update transportation from downtown to the airport, and presumably to get funding assistance from other levels of government for these projects. Some other infrastructure projects are not as beneficial in my view; for example the new soccer/football stadium in Hamilton which has 22,000 seats but only 212 parking spots. I hope Tiger Cats fans come by bus to watch their team!

I do think there was an ego factor in play among the supporters of the games in that Vancouver, Calgary and Montreal had all hosted events of this nature and Toronto politicians and boosters felt left out.
We will have to see in a few years time whether there is a net benefit and if we invested wisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto