Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 04:38 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,903,910 times

Advertisements

So the Pan American Games are coming to T.O in July 2015.. Anyone planning to take part.. I dunno i'm leaving it open - wouldn't mind doing the opening ceremonies and track events.. This event isn't as prestigious as the Olympics yet will be the largest multi sport event in Canadian History...

Here is pretty cool commercial about em..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMv2dlC2JFQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 06:39 PM

281 posts, read 328,047 times
This has cluster eff written all over it. We'll be paying for it for years. No one gave a poop about the PanAm games before we got them and no one will care about them afterwards. For those of us trying to go about their lives during the games will be living a traffic nightmare. Plus we'll be stuck with some of facilities and buildings that will sit there and collect dust while we pay for them for years. Just like what has happened elsewhere.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmbpmp View Post
This has cluster eff written all over it. We'll be paying for it for years. No one gave a poop about the PanAm games before we got them and no one will care about them afterwards. For those of us trying to go about their lives during the games will be living a traffic nightmare. Plus we'll be stuck with some of facilities and buildings that will sit there and collect dust while we pay for them for years. Just like what has happened elsewhere.
Well... That's the spirit

Old 12-22-2014, 01:29 AM

3,874 posts, read 5,299,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well... That's the spirit
LOL. If you like athletics in general, then of course check out a couple events as it should be fun.

None of the superstars will be there as they never participate in the Pan Am Games. Especially the track and swimming events. The world championships for Track and Field are a month later in Beijing and the World Aquatics Championships are in Russia as well. So none of the top tier folks are going to risk injury to participate in the Pan Am games a month prior.

So people expecting to see Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps and Lebron James will be pretty disappointed. If you go into it accepting it for what it is, then you should have a good time.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:00 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,053,779 times
I don't think anybody is expecting the likes of Bolt, Phelps or Lebron.... that's why there isn't much excitement or even discussion.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:39 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,739,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmbpmp View Post
well, if "no one gives a poop about the PanAm games", then where will the "traffic nightmare" come from during the games?

I am glad Toronto is hosting some of the international games, the merit of which can't be purely measured by "how much cost and how much revenue", which is a very provincial minded small town way of thinking. If that should be the logic, then no city would ever want to host an Olympic Game. Plus, people think the big games are a losing cause based on a few bad examples in history while ignoring the successful ones. If managed well, an expensive international event could be a net benefit to the city in the end. Part of the benefits comes from advertising effects (besides infrastructure building which the city desperately needs). Big companies spend millions of dollars to advertise their products, which looks like nothing but an expense, however, good advertisements end up selling more products and help the company in the long run.

At the point, I think it is a perfect timing for Toronto to host some international events to put itself more in the spotlight.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:40 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,178,152 times
Quote:
So the Pan American Games are coming to T.O in July 2015.. Anyone planning to take part.. I dunno i'm leaving it open - wouldn't mind doing the opening ceremonies and track events.. This event isn't as prestigious as the Olympics yet will be the largest multi sport event in Canadian History...

Here is pretty cool commercial about em..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMv2dlC2JFQ
God hate that commercial and music.... looks like some Gotham dark knight rises trailer. And sorry. You do not pitch ball on Bay Street.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
LOL. If you like athletics in general, then of course check out a couple events as it should be fun.

None of the superstars will be there as they never participate in the Pan Am Games. Especially the track and swimming events. The world championships for Track and Field are a month later in Beijing and the World Aquatics Championships are in Russia as well. So none of the top tier folks are going to risk injury to participate in the Pan Am games a month prior.

So people expecting to see Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps and Lebron James will be pretty disappointed. If you go into it accepting it for what it is, then you should have a good time.
Usain Bolt is coming.... I'm emailing him right now

Phelps definately won't be coming - silly guy!

Michael Phelps banned for 6 months and 2015 FINA World Championships by USA Swimming - The Washington Post

Actually I forgot the aquatic events - those should be fun but yeah I'd like to check out the opening ceremonies and just be a part of that spirit.. Hopefully they'll be some nice fireworks - I've always loved those..

Old 12-22-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
God hate that commercial and music.... looks like some Gotham dark knight rises trailer. And sorry. You do not pitch ball on Bay Street.
I like it... Man you guys are tough to please

Old 12-22-2014, 04:39 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,178,152 times
Quote:
I like it... Man you guys are tough to please
Yea we are tough crowd. I'm confidently expecting something on the level of Beijing 2008. Either that or nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto