Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 04:06 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Not everyone is very religious. Just like everyone in Canada or France is not religious. We can't just assume that.
Absolutely and this was the point I was trying to make in that you can't take the radical or even on paper fundamentalist views of certain religion at face value. A human being is a complicated entity. In any event - AJ has no concerns about the growing Muslim community in Canada so all is good

Old 05-30-2018, 05:24 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Hmm ok well please by all means expand on how it is not secular in 2018? Which religion has an over arching power here to make decisions and please cite laws and in our constitution whereby we ascribe to being a religious nation. When I say religious I mean in our laws....
This is a Christian cracker country to the core. Not understanding or particularly caring for religion, I'm not thrilled about it, but Canada was founded by people of profound Christian faith, it was built by them, and the laws and the institutions reflect that through and through. Why do you think so much public education was and is delivered by religious denominations? Why do you think that so many public hospitals are run by the Catholic church? (I assume that there may well be other Christian denominations running public hospitals out there, perhaps Jewish congregations as well, but I can't claim to know of any which do so at present.) Why do you think that abortion, homosexuality, divorce, etc. have been such hot-button issues in the past, all of which were subject to all kinds of Christian-inspired restrictions, and they still are today for some Canadians? Look to the pulpit, to scripture, to articles of faith, etc., and it should be patently obvious that Christian fingerprints are all over Canadian society to this very day.

I wish this wasn't the case. America set out to be secular. Where it ended up wasn't what the founding fathers had in mind, but they set out to separate church and state. That wasn't the case at all here in Canada. Not at all.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
This is a Christian cracker country to the core. Not understanding or particularly caring for religion, I'm not thrilled about it, but Canada was founded by people of profound Christian faith, it was built by them, and the laws and the institutions reflect that through and through. Why do you think so much public education was and is delivered by religious denominations? Why do you think that so many public hospitals are run by the Catholic church? (I assume that there may well be other Christian denominations running public hospitals out there, perhaps Jewish congregations as well, but I can't claim to know of any which do so at present.) Why do you think that abortion, homosexuality, divorce, etc. have been such hot-button issues in the past, all of which were subject to all kinds of Christian-inspired restrictions, and they still are today for some Canadians? Look to the pulpit, to scripture, to articles of faith, etc., and it should be patently obvious that Christian fingerprints are all over Canadian society to this very day.

I wish this wasn't the case. America set out to be secular. Where it ended up wasn't what the founding fathers had in mind, but they set out to separate church and state. That wasn't the case at all here in Canada. Not at all.
Well I think there are distinct differences in some of the major cities. Toronto is a good example of that where I think over time the Christian influence has waned. I was really more referring to our laws however. I don't think there is anything in them that is blatantly favouring one religion over the other so that is what I mean by secularism - we are making as a nation, a concerted effort to separate church from state.

As for who built this country - I think it is a misconception that it was in its entirety built by Christians. Look at Chinese railroad workers as an example in the 1880's who connected this nation through their blood and sweat and in some cases, they paid with their life. I'm not saying people of Christian faith haven't had a big influence on the history of this nation or that they still don't. I'm not saying we still don't have offshoots of that institutionally. I would however be hard pressed to think that we are blatantly creating laws that favour religiosity. So yeah - secularism while may not be done 100 percent in practice throughout the country - is certainly now the prevailing sentiment in our laws and in our national value system.

As for homosexuality- 70% of Canadians polled supported gay marriage in 2015. That is a pretty substantial amount and of the 30% who didn't - who knows how much of that was defined by a strict religious interpretation.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
So yeah - secularism while may not be done 100 percent in practice throughout the country - is certainly now the prevailing sentiment in our laws and in our national value system.
Actually, Judeo-Christian tradition informs and shapes much of modern Canada, laws included. Again, religion isn't my cup of tea, but it's hard to ignore that the laws and the institutions that built this country and that shape it to this very day were profoundly Judeo-Christian in orientation, if not in origin.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:43 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Default ......

Quote:
Absolutely and this was the point I was trying to make in that you can't take the radical or even on paper fundamentalist views of certain religion at face value. A human being is a complicated entity. In any event - AJ has no concerns about the growing Muslim community in Canada so all is good
This is why diversity WORKS for me.
I don't want to be saturated with anything.
I want a mixed basket of thoughts, ideas, views, exposure.
It allows us to grow and explore more of the world at our finger tips.

Diversity is a strength if you want to get the most balanced ideas developed.

Canada needs to continue to market this aspect of our strength as it may easily help us become a global leader in trade, commerce and most industries as we have people already in team Canada that understand religion, culture and languages from all over the world.

If you were creating a business you have your foreign in site at your finger tips within this country.

This to be in an exceptional benefit.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Actually, Judeo-Christian tradition informs and shapes much of modern Canada, laws included. Again, religion isn't my cup of tea, but it's hard to ignore that the laws and the institutions that built this country and that shape it to this very day were profoundly Judeo-Christian in orientation, if not in origin.
Well I think you have some influences sure but please quote me laws whereby we are quoting the bible.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
This is why diversity WORKS for me.
I don't want to be saturated with anything.
I want a mixed basket of thoughts, ideas, views, exposure.
It allows us to grow and explore more of the world at our finger tips.

Diversity is a strength if you want to get the most balanced ideas developed.

Canada needs to continue to market this aspect of our strength as it may easily help us become a global leader in trade, commerce and most industries as we have people already in team Canada that understand religion, culture and languages from all over the world.

If you were creating a business you have your foreign in site at your finger tips within this country.

This to be in an exceptional benefit.
There are people who are threatened by this and simply do not want it or are not sold on it. They truly believe you need to be smoking something to buy into all of that. In terms of Toronto and how it markets itself to the world - we'll see if leveraging the diversity strength as being marketable to attracting business and investment. The city on the whole has done well for itself so it'll be interesting to see as we move forward if this diverse global metropolis will continue to build on that.

What you have written has reminded me of what the esteemed President of the U. of T is teaching us all about our city and how increasingly, the worlds most globally connected players will increasingly be linked more socially, intellectually and economically. If you ever have the chance to read material written by Mr Gertler or Richard Florida I highly recommend!

This video is a short snapshot on what Mr. Gertler is talking about. The video is about how important an airport is to a global city like Toronto - but Gertler really makes an interesting point about urban spikes and how they are connecting more to one another in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zos146cEwis

Old 05-30-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Well I think you have some influences sure but please quote me laws whereby we are quoting the bible.
No one said that it had to be the Bible. How about this:

CONSTITUTION ACT, 1982

PART I

CANADIAN CHARTER OF RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS

Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law:

Guarantee of Rights and Freedoms

Constitution Acts, 1867 to 1982

Old 05-30-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
No one said that it had to be the Bible. How about this:

CONSTITUTION ACT, 1982

PART I

CANADIAN CHARTER OF RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS

Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law:

Guarantee of Rights and Freedoms

Constitution Acts, 1867 to 1982
Well it's a pretty vague reference to the 'supremacy' of god which isn't really connected to Christianity. Look i'm not denying that there are elements of Christian influence rooted in our laws - not all bad either just that I think the spirit of the law in modern day Canada is of secularism over any particular religion. This isn't to diminish the Christian influence on our society. I can't erase history nor do I want to. Additionally, I think KLM did a good job demonstrating that religiosity of an individual doesn't necessarily mean they are bible thumping fundamentalists. It is far more nuanced than that.

On the whole looking at the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms to me is quite secular and free of religious association actually.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Well it's a pretty vague reference to the 'supremacy' of god which isn't really connected to Christianity. Look i'm not denying that there are elements of Christian influence rooted in our laws - not all bad either just that I think the spirit of the law in modern day Canada is of secularism over any particular religion. This isn't to diminish the Christian influence on our society. I can't erase history nor do I want to. Additionally, I think KLM did a good job demonstrating that religiosity of an individual doesn't necessarily mean they are bible thumping fundamentalists. It is far more nuanced than that.

On the whole looking at the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms to me is quite secular and free of religious associate actually.
A capital "G" god is mentioned in the first line of the Charter and his/its supremacy is explicitly acknowledged, and you're trying to argue that isn't a clear and unambiguous acknowledgement of Judeo-Christian tradition and the respect/deference to the God of Abraham that the drafters of the Charter had in mind? You do know that Pierre Elliott Trudeau was ga-ga for God and for Catholicism/Christianity, don't you? I'd imagine that the same was true of more than a few of the people who hammered out the Charter.

I swear you'd argue that it isn't dark at night if you thought for a moment that doing so might result in you prevailing or getting in the last word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto