Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 04:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

unlike you Montreal folks who judge everything by the 401 hahaha...
You mean theres actually another road in TO oh yeah the 407 which costs about a dollar a minute to use..
Good advice on staying near the subway if you dont actually need a car,unfortunately it seems our op has to drive around as part of the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 06:33 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,728,899 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You mean theres actually another road in TO oh yeah the 407 which costs about a dollar a minute to use..
Good advice on staying near the subway if you dont actually need a car,unfortunately it seems our op has to drive around as part of the job.
If he needs a car for work then it wont matter all that much, but he will be glad not to need the car once home in the evening. If I was single I would 100% love living on the Danforth or the Beaches. I would basically be doing to The Danforth Music Hall every night of the week. I love walking on the Danforth at night. People out on the patios having dinner. It is a cool place. Very walkable area. You are literally on the subway line. There is a gym there too ( you will need it lots of great food in the area ). I really have not had time to try all the restaurants I wanted to in that area ex Tapas Embrinjo, That Brazilian Steak House Place which are near Broadview look cool). Plus there is a pretty decent belly dance school in the area ! Not the best one though.... but good. I almost bought there... but the house are way too close together and that was a totally turn off for me. If renting as a single wick place to live!

Old 05-21-2017, 11:57 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marks5 View Post
I need the car because my job requires me to be on the road as well. I'm gonna look for something around Danforth but near a subway station.
Gotcha - if you are going to commute in rush hours I would say if you can do the subway/lrt do it. Otherwise car will be fine and you'll learn all the arterials/sideroads necessary to beat the 401/DVP etc. I could take the highway to my work but its pointless so I just learned the best combo of major arterials and sideroads to take!

Old 05-21-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Jambo you're talking about going through the city as someone who is just crossing it to go from say Montreal to wherever as opposed to living in the city and knowing all the ins and outs. The OP is going to be living here so he'll learn all the requisite ins and outs. Thank god - your advice would be horrible lol - only fools would rely on the 401 all hours of the day living and commuting in the GTA

As for his job, depends on where in the city he needs to go. I would combine PT with car depending on time of day and where he is going a to b. Toronto isn't that much more of a disaster driving around than Montreal and you know it

Old 05-24-2017, 03:38 PM

13 posts, read 7,433 times
Hi guys, I'm currently in Toronto. Lot's of friends suggesting Yonge and Eglinton so going to check out the area tonight. This is what they call midtown if I'm not mistaken. What do you think?

I'm also going to check klmrocks suggestions (Danforth and Yonge/Sheppard) tomorrow.

edit: It's currently 5.45 pm and I just checked google maps. From my work to Yonge/Eglinton is 45 min, to Danforth village is 30 min since it avoids the 401.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:15 PM

Yonge and Eglinton might be a great compromise location. Its actually been called Yonge and Eligible given the high number of young professionals in the area. It is midtown but has a pretty strong growing core its own. Its on the Subway line so you are definitely well connected by PT and it actually gives you a lot of opportunities to take major arterials right into Scarborough. Only negative for the time being is there is LOTS of construction going on - condo construction galore and they are building the new Eglinton Crosstown LRT and Yonge Eglinton will be one of the focal point stations. That all said, it is highly accessible to the DT core and only a few stops south and you are right there. There are also a decent array of shops/bars and resto's in the area. I'm feeling this recommendation actually - you'd be far happier living here than pretty much anywhere in Scarborough for sure! I say check it out 100 percent!

Old 05-24-2017, 06:55 PM

Sold! like you said, it seems a great compromise. Moving a bit up north to Yonge and Sheppard might be better for work but is possibly a bit too far from the DT core.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Sold! like you said, it seems a great compromise. Moving a bit up north to Yonge and Sheppard might be better for work but is possibly a bit too far from the DT core.
Nah!! Yonge and Eglinton.. It just feels so much more connected with the city and is more central and just a more interesting nabe. Once the Crosstown is completed in 2021 it'll give you even more transit options into Scarborough.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:37 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,858 times
Quote:
Do yourself a favor and avoid Yonge and Sheppard. There is nothing "bad" about that area per se - it has lots of condos, easy access to 401 highway, and has 2 subway stations on line 1.

That being said, it totally lacks any sort of neighborhood character, the type that you'd find around Yonge Eglinton, Yonge Davisville, or Yonge St. Clair. Yonge Sheppard is great if you like 8 lane streets next to a highway, lined by generic chains like Loblaws, Cineplex, Shoppers (Pharmaprix in Quebec), and RBC branches, and a local population that tend to get riled up about "not enough parking spaces" (there are over 17,500 parking spots around that intersection...). Facepalm.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Do yourself a favor and avoid Yonge and Sheppard. There is nothing "bad" about that area per se - it has lots of condos, easy access to 401 highway, and has 2 subway stations on line 1.

That being said, it totally lacks any sort of neighborhood character, the type that you'd find around Yonge Eglinton, Yonge Davisville, or Yonge St. Clair. Yonge Sheppard is great if you like 8 lane streets next to a highway, lined by generic chains like Loblaws, Cineplex, Shoppers (Pharmaprix in Quebec), and RBC branches, and a local population that tend to get riled up about "not enough parking spaces" (there are over 17,500 parking spots around that intersection...). Facepalm.
Already convinced

Looking for apartments on viewit.ca around Yonge/Eglinton, I then google them and most seem to have negative reviews about either bed bugs or ****ty management Guess I have to keep on looking then go see them live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto