Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:02 PM

25 posts, read 74,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
size is relative !!!
you could make up a whole nother city with the extra 400 or so thousand chi has on TO. minneapolis and pittsburgh, two great cities, are under 400 thousand
hey chicken nugget -- size doesn't matter.. it's what you do with it that counts

Old 03-24-2009, 12:22 PM

175 posts, read 1,593,229 times
I don't know why would anyone compare Toronto to New York City... Maybe only Torontonians do that. I am sure that New Yorkers will never do the same thing. It just doesn't make any sense. It is like we never compare Toronto with Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:31 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,758,300 times
The original poster on this thread was based in Newfoundland and expressed an interest in moving to Toronto. The question was likely broached with the idea of getting some input for that move.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:35 PM

122 posts, read 412,714 times
Toronto Winters are Colder Than NYC Winters and NYC gets more Rain

Toronto Gets Average: 709.8 mm (27.94) inches of Rain

NYC gets Average: 1,262.4 mm (49.7) inches of Rain

Winters are Colder in Toronto. Toronto also gets more Snow on average than NYC.

NYC winters are much milder than Torontos Winters.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:57 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,958,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter-40c View Post
Toronto Winters are Colder Than NYC Winters and NYC gets more Rain

Toronto Gets Average: 709.8 mm (27.94) inches of Rain

NYC gets Average: 1,262.4 mm (49.7) inches of Rain

Winters are Colder in Toronto. Toronto also gets more Snow on average than NYC.

NYC winters are much milder than Torontos Winters.
Actually this past winter i'm sure the U.S Northern East Coast States got more snow. I work at the Airport in Toronto and there were more times that Laguardia, JFK and Newark were in Ground Delay Programs due to bad weather than Toronto. True this is only one winter, but if the trend continues than we will have to lock away the assumption that Toronto gets more snow than NYC. Doesn't really matter anyway, winter sucks in both places lol and i'd rather be in Hawaii.

One thing is for sure, Flying into or out of New York sucks. The airports are more in a state of delay than not due to either weather or congestion.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:06 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,958,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanusc View Post
I don't know why would anyone compare Toronto to New York City... Maybe only Torontonians do that. I am sure that New Yorkers will never do the same thing. It just doesn't make any sense. It is like we never compare Toronto with Winnipeg, Manitoba.
There are areas that are comparable. Both are major centres and both are established world centres and if you use the Gawc scale NYC is top tier A and Toronto is top tier B, but yes NYC is on a whole other level as a financial sector. Other economic indicators the same thing. However, there are some aspects of culture where the gap isn't as great. You can compare cuisine as well and they actually have a similar feel in that regard though NYC just bigger with more variety. Certainly it is a better comparison than Toronto Winnipeg. I see in here though, that some people just love to chisel away at Toronto just because it dares to be the only Canadian city that has notched its way up to be an all around world city by many institutions evaluating the worldliness of major citeis. Other countries take pride in their top cities, many in Canada outside Toronto (not all but there are plenty) just like to chisel away at Toronto for a reason i will never understand...bored maybe I don't know. It certainly isn't rational and based on intelligence...

Old 04-20-2009, 04:55 AM

793 posts, read 1,455,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
There are areas that are comparable. Both are major centres and both are established world centres and if you use the Gawc scale NYC is top tier A and Toronto is top tier B, but yes NYC is on a whole other level as a financial sector. Other economic indicators the same thing. However, there are some aspects of culture where the gap isn't as great. You can compare cuisine as well and they actually have a similar feel in that regard though NYC just bigger with more variety. Certainly it is a better comparison than Toronto Winnipeg. I see in here though, that some people just love to chisel away at Toronto just because it dares to be the only Canadian city that has notched its way up to be an all around world city by many institutions evaluating the worldliness of major citeis. Other countries take pride in their top cities, many in Canada outside Toronto (not all but there are plenty) just like to chisel away at Toronto for a reason i will never understand...bored maybe I don't know. It certainly isn't rational and based on intelligence...
People love to chisel away at Toronto because it is the countries largest city and in turn is in the spotlight. NYC comes under a lot of scrutiny in America because of its size and influence and the fact that most people have visited at least once so everyone has an opinion. So in that sense they have a bit in common.

Being a self proclaimed foodie, that writes food reviews on the side and grew up in a culinary household I couldn't help but notice your comparison of cuisine between NYC and Toronto. I would like to say that Toronto should never be mentioned in the same category food wise as NYC and actually the only other North American city that deserves mention is San Francisco. There is probably only one kitchen in the Toronto area that is cooking at a Michelin star level (Splendido-if you have not been go soon because the executive chef is about to concentrate almost all his attention on Nota Bene) where NYC has 33 that were awarded and quite a few that were also under consideration. I have lived in both cities as well, so I am very in tune to the culinary scene in each area, the only two cuisines that can compare are Greek and Chinese, even though the best regional chinese cooking in Toronto is in Markham/RH and not Downtown Chinatown.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:36 AM

176 posts, read 639,201 times
mattncind,

woohoo! Thanks for confirming my hunch about Markham's chinese food. I yearn for it from NYC and its usually the first meal I eat in the GTA the day I arrive. Always had a hunch Markham's was good, even though the good late night places in downtown Toronto are a welcome sight too.

Look honestly, before I read your full message, I was honestly going to rant about my opinion on NYC vs Toronto food. Then you mentioned the Michelin star fact and that has grounding.

I honestly feel here in NYC though, when it comes to Chinese food, MAN! ... Toronto's cuisine is really missed, for me, some dishes, the minute the wheels leave the ground, knowing I won't be able to taste them for months.

I mean here, there may be an abundance of Chinese restaurants, but they are aimed at
cheap-quick, low yield of quality ingredients, skimpy ingredients, and lack of finesse and flavor. If you've tried it here on a whim expecting what you're used to in Toronto, you'll know what I mean. I just wanted to add that to our foodie discussion offshoot from this thread, and hope we are in agreement on the Szechuan and Cantonese cuisine difference between cities.

(N.B. There are 'some' authentic Chinese Restaurants in NYC too. Not all in our Chinatown as my initial searches found (just like downtown Toronto vs suburbs). You have to really search for them on yelp . com and such, and they do involve travel for me.)

Last edited by Lionsdale; 04-20-2009 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: typo + N.B.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:21 AM

793 posts, read 1,455,083 times
Lionsdale,

I completely agree that Chinese overall is much stronger in the GTA. I am glad you realize though that Chinese on and off Spadina is really mediocre, but in Markham/RH you have some of the most exciting Chinese cooking going on currently anywhere in North America.

The only regional Chinese that I think NYC does better is Taiwanese, specifically in Flushing Queens and there can be an argument made for Fujian as well, but I still think the GTA is at least equal. All the other regions of China are represented better in Markham/RH.

Once I get off the plane I drop off my items and drive directly to Markham/RH to eat at some of my favorite places. The one I tried most recently was Tanchikee in Richmond Hill, the snake soup is absolutely incredible. Honestly I could talk about food all day.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:19 PM

175 posts, read 1,593,229 times
I'd like to point out that food in Dundas/Spadina Chinatown is by no means representative of "Chinese food". Most are the old fashioned Catonese style restaurants. They are run and managed in the same way as 1980's. Crampy space, corny decorations, bad service, and lots of noise. So far I have found none that looks to me like a typical nice Chinese restaurants that I'd like to go to.
If you want real Chinese food, you have to go north or east. All Downtown Chinatowns in North America have mysteriously managed to simply stay in the 70-80's China and never moved forward ever again. Try avoid restaurants whose name contain corny words such as "dragon", "panda", "Golden", or "fortune". And if orange chicken or beef broccoli is listed as chef recommended or displayed in large fonts on the walls, chances that it is authentic are pretty low. I had no idea what those were before coming to North America.

Last edited by evanusc; 04-20-2009 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto