Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:19 PM

110 posts, read 620,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
What's so good about "bohemian"? It basically means impovished artists and writers' lifestyle. They live like that not because they want to, but because they have to. Isn't it true?
A bohemian community basically means a neighborhood where you can live cheaply and behave in an untraditional way. I don't see the charm of it. If given a chance, those artists would choose to live in a luxury condo rather than a rundown warehouse, wouldn't they?
I partly agree with you. But some artists actually prefer living that instead of being commecialized. Other artists would rather be on top than living like bohemians but.....but more importanly is that it is an important passage for many artists, not to say alsmost essential, especially when young. It can also be very stimulating artistically speaking. Many artists have to start that way because rare are the ones who will start with plenty of money in their bank accouts therefor these young artists have to find a way to make a living and have a lot of free time to create or do whatever they want. The Bohemian lifestyle offers that.

But also.....not only artists can live the bohemian life. Ordinary people as well. One doesn't have to be an artist.

As for myself, i am no artist at all and if i would have the choice, meaning plenty of money, i would still live in such an environment rather than in a suburb or an upscale neighborhood.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:41 AM

701 posts, read 1,900,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoyne_42 View Post

As for myself, i am no artist at all and if i would have the choice, meaning plenty of money, i would still live in such an environment rather than in a suburb or an upscale neighborhood.
I am confused. Doesn't Bohemian indicate a cheap way of living? Why do you need plenty of money to do that?

Old 07-16-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
I am confused. Doesn't Bohemian indicate a cheap way of living? Why do you need plenty of money to do that?
I said if i had the choice, meaning if i had a lot of money, i would still prefer to live the bohemian way of living. One doesnt need a lot of money to do so but if one has a lot of money then he has the choice of doing so or not.

Still confused ?

Old 07-16-2009, 03:41 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Because living there for 2 years does not equate to someone born and raised there.. and who spent most of his life there! I have spent exponentially more time in NYC than your measly 2 years. After NYC I moved to Oz for 3 years and became a citizen and no way am I an expert on Oz nor will I be arrogant enough to claim I know it so well. I spent over a year in Toronto and I won't claim to be an expert on the city. NYc on the other hand I can keep my eyes closed on the 1/9 and based on the bumps on the track know when the train is approaching my stop on 110th street. I've fought for parking in many neighborhoods. I've met my neighbors as we sat in our cars waiting for the clock to reach 7pm which meant we could leave the car overnight without fear of a ticket. I've seen neighborhoods gentrify (I remember when Chelsea scared me) and have walked by a drug deal on 125th street before Starbucks and hipsters moved in. I ran down the stairs of tower 1 on 9/11 and was hit by the dust of Tower 2 when it fell. I've even stepped on a dead NYC rat. Now that's local knowledge.

You can be the know it all about Montreal all you want. But please don't claim to be THE expert on NY or the USA. You can do Quebec and Montreal.

Quote:
What makes you think i don't know NYC ? I have lived there 2 years and worked a full year in Bay Ridge (Brooklyn). My best friend lives in Sheepshead's bay and i spent most of my time in Queens.

Now. Yes, NYC still has a lot to offer and a lot of highly cultural activities but the ''balance'' beetwen the artistic/cultural aspect of the city and the business/finance/corporate aspect as been hurt a lot over the past 15/20 years. Thanks to Giuliani amd Bloomberg.

This is not only me saying this but native New yorkers that once lived in bohemian neighborhoods and now their old area is gone because of 45 storey apartment building, brand new ''boutique'' upscale hotel, numerous Starbuck coffee's etc....

Anyone who has been there 25 years ago, 15 years ago and lately should have noticed the difference if they stayed and explored long enough. Not only in the Village, the Upper east side, Park Slope but even in the Meat packing district...who would have thought !!!

Toronto never had the same cultural/bohemian feel to it and in the last 15 years it has created one but at the same time has gone way too far (in my opinion) in the corporate department. It's a choice. I dont say it is wrong but it's a fact. The high price of rent is playing a role but the constant need to develop big and high and copy NYC and Chicago is also ruining part of what could be interesting.

On Queen street west, which is one nice street, High rise condo's are being built and more are being proposed. I don't think it is with these addition, the City Place, Dundas Square and the Air Canada center area that it will give a bohemian feel to the city or bring some street level cultural activities.

While Montreal keeps a very good balance beetwen both world. The finance is present but never dominates the city while the cultural life is spreading all over....or almost !!!

Last edited by minibrings; 07-16-2009 at 03:51 PM..

Old 07-16-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Because living there for 2 years does not equate to someone born and raised there.. and who spent most of his life there! I have spent exponentially more time in NYC than your measly 2 years. After NYC I moved to Oz for 3 years and became a citizen and no way am I an expert on Oz nor will I be arrogant enough to claim I know it so well. I spent over a year in Toronto and I won't claim to be an expert on the city. NYc on the other hand I can keep my eyes closed on the 1/9 and based on the bumps on the track know when the train is approaching my stop on 110th street. I've fought for parking in many neighborhoods. I've met my neighbors as we sat in our cars waiting for the clock to reach 7pm which meant we could leave the car overnight without fear of a ticket. I've seen neighborhoods gentrify (I remember when Chelsea scared me) and have walked by a drug deal on 125th street before Starbucks and hipsters moved in. I ran down the stairs of tower 1 on 9/11 and was hit by the dust of Tower 2 when it fell. I've even stepped on a dead NYC rat. Now that's local knowledge.

You can be the know it all about Montreal all you want. But please don't claim to be THE expert on NY or the USA. You can do Quebec and Montreal.
I never said i was an expert on NYC but you are the one who claimed i didn't know NYC beyond Manhattan. There you we're entirely wrong on your assumption.

Plus it doesnt take an expert to realize how NYC has changed over the past 25 or 30 years. And when i mean change i mean slowly going from a well balanced corporate-cultural-bohemian-multi-cultural and obviously commercial city to a much more corporate city with still a big cultural and multi-cultural aspect but one has to admit that the bohemian lifestyle has almost vanished....almost !

Me, my 57 years old friend born and raise Brooklyn friend, my 62 years old born and raise Bronx friend, my 58 years old Upper west side friend and most of their acquantainces who are all New Yorkers as well as long time columnists in the NY Post, the New Yorker, the New York Times and other influential medias have all mentionned about the city going wayyyyyy too corporate.

Have you seen the number of Starbuck's coffee, banks, Pharmacy's, Hotels and other corporate company's replacing good old mom and pops stores ?

Now, if you want to play my ''father is stronger than yours'' then i will keep up with you. Not only have i stayed and worked there for two entire years but i have been going there, since 1985, at least 3 or 4 times a year and some of them including weeks and months of staying in an appartment in Fort-Greene Brooklyn, one place in West Orange (NJ)where i had to take the PATH train every day to go to work but also and especially in ''my'' Upper east side appartement since 1995 (which is owned by my friend who's a born and raise pure New Yorker).

I use to buy my records from Vinylmania on Carmine street which closed definitively a year or so ago. I used to buy my favotire NY style pizza slice on 42nd street way before they changed everything into a corporate disney venue. I used to rent my foreign films on two video stores, one also on Carmine Street (in the village) and one on 1st avenue and 57th street...both are closed now. I used to buy my CD's in some places on St-Marks place in the East Village. Most of them are closed. I used to go to a small Lebanese restaurant on 67th street on the Upper east side, it is also closed and replace with a new corporate donut shops. i used to browse in the Meat packing district late a night with all the weirdo's. Most places have been replace by corporate stuff such as a highrise boutique hotel, a Stella McCartney clothing store, other independant but fancy clothing stores. Even the best Meat Packing District rendez-vous has closed a year ago.....restaurant ''Florent''.

My favorite little cinema's have all closed only to be replace by corporate coffee shops or pharmacy's such as the one in the Village. I used to meet with homeless people in Tompkins Square (Alphabet city), they have been chased away. I used to to eat my little cheap meal on 2nd avenue Deli down in the east Village. It is now Closed. I enjoyed browsing around the Park Slope and Boerum Hill area before they kicked out most of the bohemian or ordinary citizen only to replace them by young trendy yuppies which is the case in so many neighborhoods. Almost every sunday i would go down in Brighton Beach for a good russian meal and atmosphere. I sometimes went and bought my polish sausages in Greenpoint (Brooklyn) or went for a hot dog at the Original Nathan's on Coney Island. I love going to Katz's or Yonnah Schimmel but sometimes i'd go up on the west side for a burger at ''Seinfeld's spot'' (Tom's restaurant). I saw the St-John the Divine almost being ruined by a fire. I took a picture of Hillary Clinton on the Puerto-rican day parade in 2004 (5th avenue). I walked by hundreds of thousands of protesters against the Irak war (That was on Broadway). I almost....almost bought a wine store in the Great Neck area (the limits of Queen and Long Island). I used to go for a walk on Roosevelt Island, across from my friends Apartment and i saw the Manhattan portion of the Queensboro bridge going from a safe heaven for homeless people into a huge sophisticated and super clean food store.....just under the bridge !!!

I had an afternoon by myself inside the Shea Stadium only to take pictures....all by myself ! Thanks to a worker who let me in while he was cutting the grass for a evening game. I had my dick sucked by a prostitutes in Hell's kitchen way before it became corporate....we are in the 80's here. I had my car towed at the Bronx zoo for not paying the parking fee, i then had to pick it up at an awful city building lost somewhere on Long Island city (Queens). I went and bought my first George Dalaras CD in a huge Greek music store in Astoria. I took pictures of a Chinese wedding in Central Park. I have a collection of hundred's of old and new NYC postcards. My ex girlfriend, who's from Trinidad, lived in East Flatbush where many carribean people have settled and where one can find many good spicy little carribean mom and pop restaurants. I wouldn't go there by myself after dark....

The DUMBO ''movement'' where young bohemians fled manhattan for a cheap spot in Brooklyn was somekind of response to that yuppie trend that was and still is invading Manhattan. Even them are struggling to keep it as ordinary and bohemian as possible. Then many young artist have fled to Philly to find a much cheaper rent which. Now all these trends shows how NYC has lost it's bohemian touch, not all....but most of it !

Now, i am not saying it is right or wrong but only saying the Bohemian feel is almost gone from NYC.

I am not saying i know more than you or anyone else i am just saying i know it well enough to be able to criticize and give my opinion about it. If you dont like it and think it is arrogant than that's your problem if you cant deal with other people knowing stuff. You can just buzzz off....

If you wish to keep playing the ''I know more than you'' game just let me know and i'll keep going...we will just have to move this stupid battle to a New York city thread because this tread is about Montreal and Toronto but hey.....

How did New York city slipped beetwen Montreal and Toronto ???

Old 07-17-2009, 06:16 AM

366 posts, read 1,186,048 times
Hi! I was looking for the Toronto vs. Montreal thread?

Old 07-17-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
Hi! I was looking for the Toronto vs. Montreal thread?
Let"s get right back into it. Let's have a good old Montréal-Toronto fight !!!

But before we start fighting, i would like to ask Torontonians about their views on some of the best Toronto bohemian, cultural and artistical environment ?

To my knowledge, which is limited, i would say Kensington market, Cabbagetown, parts of Queen Street west.

Any other parts ?

Old 07-17-2009, 12:51 PM

366 posts, read 1,186,048 times
Antoyne - I think Queen West is often derided as 'poser' by those in the know... Parkdale is home to may bohem types pushed out buy high rents.
Someone told me The Junction is attracting more artistic types too...

A questions for Montrealers: Don't you get tired of losing to Toronto?

Old 07-17-2009, 01:16 PM

701 posts, read 1,900,814 times
Quote:
Let"s get right back into it. Let's have a good old Montréal-Toronto fight !!!

But before we start fighting, i would like to ask Torontonians about their views on some of the best Toronto bohemian, cultural and artistical environment ?

To my knowledge, which is limited, i would say Kensington market, Cabbagetown, parts of Queen Street west.

Any other parts ?
You are assuming the "bohemian" stuff is a good thing and everyone likes it. I for one, don't. I don't like impoverished artists with long hair in weird outfit in my neighborhood at all.
I also prefer a city which is dead quiet at 11 PM. And I am a big fan of skycrapers, but not a fan of mountains.
Therefore, such arguement is kind of silly as people are different.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
Antoyne - I think Queen West is often derided as 'poser' by those in the know... Parkdale is home to may bohem types pushed out buy high rents.
Someone told me The Junction is attracting more artistic types too...

A questions for Montrealers: Don't you get tired of losing to Toronto?
I think you are right. I noticed the Queen street west was a bit yuppish but further west, like in Parkdale (Where i stayed last time) is much more bohemian but it also has some kind of rough edge. I would say.

The Junction ? Never heard about it. I will have to check it out.

As far as loosing to Toronto, you mean like the Maples leafs and the canadians ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto