Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:58 PM
hbj hbj started this thread

10 posts, read 21,897 times

Advertisements

I grew up in New England and we used to reguarly get several feet of snow. Lately, snow is much rarer, and the big storms almost never happen. The temperature seems warmer too.

Would you say that winters in Toronto too are getting less cold and snowy than they were, say 10, 20 or more years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 11:49 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,446,202 times
The whole world's climate is shifting. Look at Environment Canada's climate data on Toronto to find the answers to your questions.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:13 PM

How about any personal experiences?

Old 08-19-2009, 02:56 PM

701 posts, read 1,901,272 times
if so it will be a good thing for Toronto and Canada as a whole. The reason why Canada has so few people is most of its land is not livable.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:29 PM

409 posts, read 1,459,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbj View Post
How about any personal experiences?
Toronto never was in a snow belt. They get more snow north of us and more snow south of us (in the U.S.).

That being said, the last several winters have seemed relatively mild.

Toronto is extremely well positioned for Climate Change (not that I would encourage it, but...)

Old 08-19-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Derf View Post

Toronto is extremely well positioned for Climate Change (not that I would encourage it, but...)
You're kinda reading my mind, Fred. From what I'm reading about the permafrost melt and the data on methane release, could be that winters get milder sooner than anyone expects.

You don't get droughts up there either, right? Plenty of water from the big ol' lake?

Old 08-19-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbj View Post
You're kinda reading my mind, Fred. From what I'm reading about the permafrost melt and the data on methane release, could be that winters get milder sooner than anyone expects.

You don't get droughts up there either, right? Plenty of water from the big ol' lake?
No, if anything, we'd be more likely to get wetter. Take a look at a Google satellite map of Toronto, zoom out and then look north. It's small lake after small lake after small lake. There is no shortage of fresh water in Ontario.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:00 AM

53 posts, read 237,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
if so it will be a good thing for Toronto and Canada as a whole. The reason why Canada has so few people is most of its land is not livable.
So you're suggesting that Global Warming is a good thing?

Anyway, last winter was pretty bad in Toronto. It snowed almost every day from November to March, and we had a couple feet accumulated for most of that. But we could have just as easily had a mild winter like a few years ago.

One thing is certain about Toronto winters, they're very unpredictable.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:00 PM

701 posts, read 1,901,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cturtle View Post
So you're suggesting that Global Warming is a good thing?

Anyway, last winter was pretty bad in Toronto. It snowed almost every day from November to March, and we had a couple feet accumulated for most of that. But we could have just as easily had a mild winter like a few years ago.

One thing is certain about Toronto winters, they're very unpredictable.
Yes, I think it is a good thing for cold cities like Toronto. Why are you surprised? I'd like Toronto to be 3-5 degrees warmer on average. There is so much we don't know about this whole "global warming" publicity, and we are far from certain it is due to human related activities. So let's not be so scared and environmentalistic every time this is brought up like it is the evil we have to fight against.

I am not sure where you live in Toronto, but in downtown, there were only about 4 snow storms last winter. It snowed almost every day from November to March??? I seriously don't know which city you are talking about. We probably had 20 snowy days in total...

Old 08-20-2009, 06:18 PM

Climate Change will screw the developing world (like Africa) more than anywhere else. It will push up the cost of food and up to 30% of the planet's animal species will be placed at risk.

We are likely in a natural warming cycle but mankind's activities (the release of anamorphic gases) are very likely to be the cause of more than half of the world's observed temperature increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto