Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 12:40 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Toronto attracts me least of the major Canadian cities. I'd much rather go to Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax, or even Vancouver than what is basically a generic North American city with a cold climate and reserved people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 08:45 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Toronto attracts me least of the major Canadian cities. I'd much rather go to Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax, or even Vancouver than what is basically a generic North American city with a cold climate and reserved people.
A lot of people who come to Canada feel this way, and are initially less attracted to Toronto than other cities, but when choosing a place to live many end up in Toronto anyway. For a variety of factors: economic opportunity of the biggest city in the country, cost of living vs. average salaries (Vancouver does not do very well on this front), language (Montréal, Québec City), etc.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:50 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A lot of people who come to Canada feel this way, and are initially less attracted to Toronto than other cities, but when choosing a place to live many end up in Toronto anyway. For a variety of factors: economic opportunity of the biggest city in the country, cost of living vs. average salaries (Vancouver does not do very well on this front), language (Montréal, Québec City), etc.
Yes, it's a more practical place to live. I doubt I'd live in Canada because of the winters, and I find the States more interesting although it's not out of the question) but in terms of a place to live, Vancouver seems alot nicer in terms of recreation, landscape, lack of winter cold. Surely the job market can't be that much smaller in a city of 2 million? In some ways I've heard it's a bit overrated too though. The Maritimes are pretty but the climate is too harsh. I'm speaking more as places to visit, anyway. I'd go to Toronto for a couple of days, but it's not a place that gets me excited. I haven't heard anyone say they want to go to Canada for Toronto. Usually it's places like BC, the Canadian Rockies, the Maritimes or Quebec, but Ontario is more just where alot of people live. The CN Tower would be pretty cool, since it's the tallest in North America.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:20 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,831 times
Quote:
Yes, it's a more practical place to live. I doubt I'd live in Canada because of the winters, and I find the States more interesting although it's not out of the question) but in terms of a place to live, Vancouver seems alot nicer in terms of recreation, landscape, lack of winter cold. Surely the job market can't be that much smaller in a city of 2 million?
Trust me, of my friends who live in one or the other, a much higher percentage of my pals in Vancouver struggle to make ends meet. A combination of significantly higher property prices and salaries that are much lower than those on offer in Toronto, Calgary and possibly even Edmonton make it a difficult, if attractive, place to live. It's a lovely part of the country, though.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Trust me, of my friends who live in one or the other, a much higher percentage of my pals in Vancouver struggle to make ends meet. A combination of significantly higher property prices and salaries that are much lower than those on offer in Toronto, Calgary and possibly even Edmonton make it a difficult, if attractive, place to live. It's a lovely part of the country, though.
This is exactly what I meant about Vancouver. The cost of everything there compared to the average amount of money you can make is seriously imbalanced.

Toronto is a pretty expensive place to live as well by Canadian standards but at least the costs are somewhat offset by the fact you can make more money there (on average) than in Vancouver and even most places in the country.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:29 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,667 times
Quote:
Yes, it's a more practical place to live. I doubt I'd live in Canada because of the winters, and I find the States more interesting although it's not out of the question) but in terms of a place to live, Vancouver seems alot nicer in terms of recreation, landscape, lack of winter cold. Surely the job market can't be that much smaller in a city of 2 million? In some ways I've heard it's a bit overrated too though. The Maritimes are pretty but the climate is too harsh. I'm speaking more as places to visit, anyway. I'd go to Toronto for a couple of days, but it's not a place that gets me excited. I haven't heard anyone say they want to go to Canada for Toronto. Usually it's places like BC, the Canadian Rockies, the Maritimes or Quebec, but Ontario is more just where alot of people live. The CN Tower would be pretty cool, since it's the tallest in North America.

Really? Toronto is the most visited city in Canada and one of the most visited cities in the world.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
Really? Toronto is the most visited city in Canada and one of the most visited cities in the world.
A lot of the ''most visited city'' lists simply measure international arrivals at a city's airport. They often list Frankfurt as the most visited city in Germany - I am not sure that this is the most popular tourist destination in that country.

Also, some tourism statistics also count what are known as VFRs (visiting friends and relatives). The biggest city in any given country, especially if it has a diverse population, will get lots of VFRs: aunt Maria from Napoli, uncle Bhupinder from Mumbai... A large city can be a dump (not saying that Toronto is) and it would still get tons of VFRs.

In addition to a lot of business travellers as the largest city tends to be the country's main business centre. They don't necessarily go there because it is attractive.

None of this really says anything conclusive about a city's attractiveness and interest for a leisure traveller.

For attractiveness to leisure travellers purely looking to see what a city has to offer, Toronto is nowhere near the top of destinations in Canada, and places like Vancouver and Quebec City are probably way ahead of it on a per capita basis.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Blah, Blah, Blah. Womp, Womp, Womp.
Whatever makes you sleep at night. How ever you slice it, more people are coming to Toronto and spending their money here compared to other Canadian cities.

Quote:
For attractiveness to leisure travellers purely looking to see what a city has to offer, Toronto is nowhere near the top of destinations in Canada, and places like Vancouver and Quebec City are probably way ahead of it on a per capita basis.

And who are you to judge what's attractive to tourist? That's up to the individual. New Orleans is way more attractive to me than Vancouver and Quebec City will ever be. Hell, even Philipsburg, Sint Maarten. So maybe, maybe there are people out there that find Toronto more attractive as a tourist destination than other cities in Canada. I know it's hard to believe that there are people (who don't live in the city) that actually like or even *gasp* love, Toronto.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:40 PM

10 posts, read 26,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
I know it's hard to believe that there are people (who don't live in the city) that actually like or even *gasp* love, Toronto.
Gasp?!!! really? I moved to Toronto 4 years ago and before that I've lived in many cities in different countries and by far Toronto is the most boring and ugliest of all. As far as Canada is concerned, Montreal is way more attractive and interesting than Toronto.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedian View Post
Gasp?!!! really? I moved to Toronto 4 years ago and before that I've lived in many cities in different countries and by far Toronto is the most boring and ugliest of all. As far as Canada is concerned, Montreal is way more attractive and interesting than Toronto.
That's nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto