Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2010, 11:30 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Have no idea why you would associate a Prius with someone who is necessarily educated. Its usually just average, white, left wing "limousine liberals" that buy them up and slap an Obama sticker on the back.

Most of them have fallen prey to the Prius marketing scheme... they are just another demographic that has been manipulated into being a cash cow consumer. Most of these owners think that the Prius is God's... errr excuse me... the self-aware cosmos' gift to mankind. That has been drilled into their brains through the cult following.

Relatively speaking the Prius is a pseudo environmentally friendly vehicle at best. However because it has this overwhelming aura of being "green", peaceful, friendly, etc... consumers don't even bother delving into the nitty gritty facts or even try to crunch any numbers to see what all the hype is about. They just buy it.

As for your assessment on Hummers. I wholeheartedly agree. Every time I see an H2 I really can't fathom why someone needs that as a daily driver. It is far too excessive for anything I can think of. They are usually poorly skilled drivers, they drive too fast, too aggressively and they usually turn out to be some suburbanite soccer mom in gucci sunglasses on her cell phone.
It makes sense what you're saying about the Prius and "educated people". Maybe I just get that vibe since I happen to live in a college town, and every other car on the road happens to be a Prius.

I should probably change my assumption of "educated" to "pseudo-intellectual". There's no shortage of Prius owners here who act like they are "smarter than most"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 11:43 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
It makes sense what you're saying about the Prius and "educated people". Maybe I just get that vibe since I happen to live in a college town, and every other car on the road happens to be a Prius.

I should probably change my assumption of "educated" to "pseudo-intellectual". There's no shortage of Prius owners here who act like they are "smarter than most"

In st louis, most prius owners are very snobbish over educated senseless people. And they sure as h*** have yet to learn how to drive! 99 percent of them are too stupid to have a drivers license when you see them block the road and waste road space, plus the wrecks their stupidity causes.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:29 AM

456 posts, read 1,122,683 times
Has everyone forgotten how people ran out and bought these cars like crazy when gas prices were approaching $5/gallon?? You couldn't find a Prius and had to wait months to get one. I had a 100 mile round trip commute to work and couldn't drive my 14 mpg premium car anymore since it was too expensive so I bought a Prius. Would I rather drive an H2 hummer if it cost the same in gas or even a Ford F150? Sure!!! My only reason for buying the car was to save money on gas. That's it. And, a lot of people bought it around this time for the same reason.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:54 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
Has everyone forgotten how people ran out and bought these cars like crazy when gas prices were approaching $5/gallon?? You couldn't find a Prius and had to wait months to get one. I had a 100 mile round trip commute to work and couldn't drive my 14 mpg premium car anymore since it was too expensive so I bought a Prius. Would I rather drive an H2 hummer if it cost the same in gas or even a Ford F150? Sure!!! My only reason for buying the car was to save money on gas. That's it. And, a lot of people bought it around this time for the same reason.

Alll that money for the car will take years to pay for it in mppg savings. Then the other issues starting to crop up on them, will just make it overpriced.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:31 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
People buy specific vehicles for a wide range of reasons. Personally, I've never had the luxury of buying a car I really, really wanted. I've always bought a car that fit my needs the best at the time.

So, I've had a BIG station wagon (a Ford LTD "woodie" we named the Queen Mary), two minivans (still have one - very practical), an assortment of Hondas and Toyotas (for reliability and gas mileage, starting with an '80 Honda Civic wagon), and the random Dodge, Ford, and Chevy.

Did I get a Prius to "make a statement"? No. I needed to get a hybrid to access the HOV carpool lanes in Northern Virginia with just me and my wife in the vehicle. I didn't like my first choice - a Ford Escape hybrid. The next hybrid we tried was the Prius, and we bought it.

No Obama bumper sticker. No sitting in the left lane doing the speed limit (or less). No dirty looks at the drivers of gas hogs.

And no long period of time to pay back the "hybrid premium." We traded in a vehicle that cost more to buy, cost more to finance, cost more to insure, and didn't get half the gas mileage that the Prius gets.

We've been delighted with the Prius. And if I had to do it all over again, I'd make the same purchase in a heartbeat, and that's something I haven't been able to say about every vehicle I've owned.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:57 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Hey, my friends and I are renting a Prius for a 2 week cross country trip, going from Baltimore to Los Angeles and then back again. We decided on the a Prius because we reckon it might same us some money on gas because of the fuel efficiency, and because since its a rental we won't be responsible for maintenance or whatever.

Its suddenly crossed my mind however about the Prius's very liberal reputation, that its a car driven mostly by typical East Coast yuppies and liberal Democrats, especially those into trends and fads (fads like Obama, etc). We're nothing like that, and we'll be going through a lot of Middle America and the southern states. Are we going to be mistakened for the typical arrogant, pretentious East Coast liberal? I hope not because I'm nowhere near that kind of person. I am a patriotic conservative American from a blue collar family who voted for George Bush twice and also for McCain. I despise liberals actually since my grandfather escaped from communist China. My dream car, once I finish grad school and have the money will be either a large SUV like the Expedition, a Hummer, and/or a large Chevy pickup truck.

Maybe we should see if there are any McCain-Palin bumper stickers to be bought on Amazon, or maybe a Christian or Confederate bumper sticker...hmmm....

Anyways is it true that most people see the Prius as a very liberal car that people buy to show their political motivations such as tree huggers, showing oppostion to the war, etc.
I think it only saves you money in local driving. On a long trip on highways it should not get much better mileage then any other similar car.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:59 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Alll that money for the car will take years to pay for it in mppg savings. Then the other issues starting to crop up on them, will just make it overpriced.
They hold their value as well. That has to also be considered. All things being equal they are actually a good buy compared to other cars you take a bath on.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:02 AM

14 posts, read 19,970 times
i'd never own one for the sole fact that the car is a posterchild for the liberal enviro-nazi movement.

one of the funniest things i've ever seen was a lonely lib on the side of the road with her shiny prius getting gas put in it from a highway help truck........... i still laugh about it till this day. irony.

or better yet, a prius being driven by a smoker..........

Old 07-07-2010, 10:05 AM

747 posts, read 2,759,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
No sitting in the left lane doing the speed limit (or less).
Thank you

Old 07-07-2010, 12:03 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
As for your assessment on Hummers. I wholeheartedly agree. Every time I see an H2 I really can't fathom why someone needs that as a daily driver.
Technically, we don't "need" most of the things we have. We don't "need" more than roots and tubers and some water to live on. We don't "need" more than a cave to curl up in and sleep. We don't "need" clothing unless we are in extreme weather conditions. We cerrtainly don't "need" daily drivers, and even if we do, we don't need NEW ones, regardles of how "green" they may be.

Everything modern humans have is due to "want" not "need" unless you count certain life saving medication.

Worrying about what someone else may need when discussing automobiles is folly and misguided at best. We buy things because we want those things, even if they aren't the "optimum" product for our lives.

And building/buying wants keeps the economy going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion