Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:35 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times

Advertisements

My 2000 4Runner has a burning odor under the hood which is relating to the need for new gasket valve covers. At the present mileage (172K) I'm planning to do the timing belt & water pump.

Just did the rear brakes & all the belts except timing...

One of the car repair services has brought up the seals for front cam & crank shaft, idler pulleys w/bearings & intake spark plugs...all of which probably need attending to as I bought the truck in 2003 with 70K miles & haven't gotten into any of these repairs.

All parts will be Toyota with the exception of water pump/seals. I know this is an interference engine & if my timing belt blows there goes the engine...

Estimate was $1,500

I love my 4Runner & plan on keeping it. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 09:40 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Since you have neglected the repairs for along time I would suggest you get them done. Sounds like a very reasonable price to get all that done. I paid $900 recently to get my timing belt, drive belts, waterpump and hoses replaced on my 92 4runner.

I would also recommend you get you radiator hoses replaced at this time too.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:46 AM

220 posts, read 376,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
My 2000 4Runner has a burning odor under the hood which is relating to the need for new gasket valve covers. At the present mileage (172K) I'm planning to do the timing belt & water pump.

Just did the rear brakes & all the belts except timing...

One of the car repair services has brought up the seals for front cam & crank shaft, idler pulleys w/bearings & intake spark plugs...all of which probably need attending to as I bought the truck in 2003 with 70K miles & haven't gotten into any of these repairs.

All parts will be Toyota with the exception of water pump/seals. I know this is an interference engine & if my timing belt blows there goes the engine...

Estimate was $1,500

I love my 4Runner & plan on keeping it. Thoughts?
$1500 sounds a little high. I'd take it to another shop and get another estimate. Do you have a highly-reputed local shop that you trust?

That said, what you're talking about does involve a lot of work.

Also, Toyota 4Runners have a reputation of never dying, so it's probably worth doing the maintenance.

By the way, is "intake spark plugs" simply a typo?

Old 12-27-2011, 09:57 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
That actually isn't a bad estimate for all of that work and parts. Some of the labor operations are duplicated though and I would look at how much they are charging in labor for each things. For instance, say the timing chain is a 3 hour job. Well, the water pump needs to be removed to do it so there shouldn't be anything more than a very minor labor charge for putting the new one on, if any at all and since everything is out of the way, the seals that you are having replaced are right there and again what would be in the book for say 1.2 hours is really only a 10 minute job when you have the whole front of the engine apart anyway.

So, the estimate seems right, but check the labor operations and make sure they aren't double dipping anything on the labor.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBanson View Post
$1500 sounds a little high. I'd take it to another shop and get another estimate. Do you have a highly-reputed local shop that you trust?

That said, what you're talking about does involve a lot of work.

Also, Toyota 4Runners have a reputation of never dying, so it's probably worth doing the maintenance.

By the way, is "intake spark plugs" simply a typo?
This is a reputable shop.
intake spark plugs/not a typo...that's what they said....
I have a friend of a friend who works on major big trucks & he will be giving me a quote as well as another shop.

Yeah, it does sound like a lot of work but I love my 4Runner & the reputation is worth upholding...it's paid off as well....

Old 12-27-2011, 10:20 AM

220 posts, read 376,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
This is a reputable shop.
intake spark plugs/not a typo...that's what they said....
I have a friend of a friend who works on major big trucks & he will be giving me a quote as well as another shop.

Yeah, it does sound like a lot of work but I love my 4Runner & the reputation is worth upholding...it's paid off as well....
Not questioning the price or anything, but to the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as "intake spark plugs." There are "intake/spark plug covers," but spark plugs are just spark plugs.

Anywhooo... Good luck!

Old 12-27-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBanson View Post
Not questioning the price or anything, but to the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as "intake spark plugs." There are "intake/spark plug covers," but spark plugs are just spark plugs.

Anywhooo... Good luck!
Must be the covers then!

Thank you all very much!!!!

4Runners are awesome vehicles (I've had the 1997, 2001, '02, & 03)...I don't know what I'd be driving if it wasn't a 4Runner except possibly a Honda Passport...which is no longer made...)....my xmil was a used car dealer so been lucky to try out many different SUVs...but love the 4runner best.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:49 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
That actually isn't a bad estimate for all of that work and parts. Some of the labor operations are duplicated though and I would look at how much they are charging in labor for each things. For instance, say the timing chain is a 3 hour job. Well, the water pump needs to be removed to do it so there shouldn't be anything more than a very minor labor charge for putting the new one on, if any at all and since everything is out of the way, the seals that you are having replaced are right there and again what would be in the book for say 1.2 hours is really only a 10 minute job when you have the whole front of the engine apart anyway.

So, the estimate seems right, but check the labor operations and make sure they aren't double dipping anything on the labor.
If the job was priced right, it would give the base price for the t belt then anything else would be an add-on.

Example
R&R timing belt - 7.4
replace water pump - add .9
replace tensioner and idler - add .7
replace cam seals - .9 each
and so on
(not the actual times for this job)

The seals will definitely take more than 10 minutes.

To the OP
The intake spark plug wording may have meant replace the spark plugs while the upper intake plenum is off for the valve cover replacement.

Any reason why they're not using Toyota replacement seals? The oem seals lasted 172K. It's also a good time to replace the all the coolant hoses and thermostat.

$1500 is a decent price considering the work involved.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
If the job was priced right, it would give the base price for the t belt then anything else would be an add-on.

Example
R&R timing belt - 7.4
replace water pump - add .9
replace tensioner and idler - add .7
replace cam seals - .9 each
and so on
(not the actual times for this job)

The seals will definitely take more than 10 minutes.

To the OP
The intake spark plug wording may have meant replace the spark plugs while the upper intake plenum is off for the valve cover replacement.

Any reason why they're not using Toyota replacement seals? The oem seals lasted 172K. It's also a good time to replace the all the coolant hoses and thermostat.

$1500 is a decent price considering the work involved.
The way it's been priced is following:

Valve gasket cover/timing belt/water pump @ $606
(tire kingdom quoted me $650 on the above)

Seals: front cam/crank/2 idler pulley w/bearings @ $403

Intake spark covers @ 380

Due to the awesomeness of this truck, I want to do the right thing by it!!!!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Even if you get only another year out of it the $1,500 is a bargain, you'd be spending 2-3 times as much on a new car payment, and have to continue on for 4-5 years. If you like it fix it. The real risk is if the transmission goes out, that's close to $3,000 (automatic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion