Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:46 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
They won't be able to make enough of these things.

11.5 sec 0-60.....that's a safety issue in my books.
The Mercedes 240d auto gets 0-60 in about 20 seconds. Now that's dangerous.

My wife's Prius gets 0-60 in about 10, and that car has plenty of power. We can pass on the freeway just fine.

I'd say the average 0-60 of most cars and trucks on the road is around 8-9, and even that might be generous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 03:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
At that price they will sale as many as they can make.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:29 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I won't be buying it.

People freak out about gas prices for the wrong reasons.

If gas jumped from $3.50 to $5.50 tomorrow, it would only affect my entire household has in my wife and I just under $200 a month. $2400 a year.

It would still be cheaper to keep my current vehicles then get that thing. I bet it sells for mids 20s when all said and done.

BTW that thing looks just about worthless if you need to haul anything or have a baby or infant.

The reason to freak over gas prices is cost of the transportation of goods, and how it will affect the prices of everything in the world, not just your gas bill.
But, if gas went to this level, wouldn't everything cost you more like food? Trucks that deliver the food would have to pay more too. And airlines fares would go up. You would be paying more than just what gas cost you.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:42 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
I did a quick search and selected some of the hybrid friendly links because I knew the tree huggers would openly deny info from a site not friendly to hybrids. If friendly sites report this much, wonder how much they're holding back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
No offense, but did you read the links you posted?

Quote from the first link...

The second link is from 2006 and is discussing the impact of using LEAD batteries to a greater scale. It goes on to state that NICKEL is far less damaging to the environment and while it may be "a probable carcinogen" and is not without its negatives, is a better choice then lead. They then go on to extoll the virtues of lithium ion and how depending on the composition of the battery it will have very negligible environmental impact. The article then goes on to discuss how Toyota and Honda recycle all of their hybrid batteries.

I agree with you that there are some environmental issues related to the production of the batteries, but they are not nearly the massive issues that people spun them to be in the wake of that "Hummers are better for the environment then a Prius" report which has been totally debunked.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:55 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times
Holding back? Holy tin foil hat! Aint black magic... The "science" is not brand new and unknown.. many "diesel" trains have used much the same hybrid technology for DECADES... Holding back.. lol

Old 03-16-2012, 05:37 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
On the surface, hybrids and EVs are environmentally friendly. However, when you factor in the damage to the environment caused to produce such vehicles and their batteries, they seem less environmentally friendly than your average gasoline powered vehicle.
At this point who cares, the main thang is are the dependable, last a long time, cheap to own and actualy get the mpg they claim. The one co-worker I know that has one gets about 45 or so mpg in his running the ac wide open and driving the car plenty hard.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:40 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
On the surface, hybrids and EVs are environmentally friendly. However, when you factor in the damage to the environment caused to produce such vehicles and their batteries, they seem less environmentally friendly than your average gasoline powered vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It may interest you to know that virtually every battery installed in a hybrid vehicle in the US and then retired has been recovered and 100% recycled, down to the plastic covers.
Don't you hate when facts get in the way of a potentially good point

Old 03-16-2012, 08:48 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,649,357 times
Don't know if its still the same. Don't have any references like a proper internet warrior.. But awhile back. I remember reading an article that the carbon footprint of a Prius was bigger then a bummer h2.

Based on the nickel being processed and mined in Canada being shipped to Russia or something refined, then sent to Japan. Then all the energy produced to build the car, then ship it across pacific back to north America and sold. Then that hummers are truck based and tend to be last high mileage.

While the H2 was built in the NORTH AMERICA.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Last edited by MustangEater82; 03-16-2012 at 09:03 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 03:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Interesting article on one particular Electric car of the past,110 mile range and even had charging stations scattered around the city...http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/05/au...AKER.html?_r=1

For my around town needs an all electric car would be ideal, all thats needed is a way to charge the thing in minutes rather than hours as i have no way to plug it in in the apartment block i live in..

Old 03-17-2012, 05:18 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
The "news" factor for me was that AOL is still around...
You dirty son of a gun
Yea, I have a little trouble with change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion