Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:59 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
There are 29 models of the VW Golf available in the UK. What makes you think I have the 1.2 TSi? Have a look at the 1.6 Tdi version, which is the one I own. Volkswagen Golf 1 6 Tdi 90 S 3dr Review | What Car?

My post did quote US gallons, hence the (US Gallons) in the post.

You also can't compare European pricing directly to US pricing. Do you really think the Golf 1.2 Tdi would be sold for $30,865 in the US? For comparison, the base Prius sells for $36,044 in the UK, compared to $24,200 in the US.
Another Diesel comparison to Hybrid. Diesel in the US costs more money to run and the fuel economy doesn't justify unless I have to drive 40-50 highway miles a day to see 45mpg+ with a diesel and don't bring in European prices and standards here.

Take any diesel car available in the US and compare, there is not a single model that's competitive enough in cost savings.

Typical 87 octane gas cost $3.25 while Diesel fuel cost at least $0.25-0.40 more.

The reason why America has not adopted diesel cars as quickly as hybrids because diesel fuel cost more here and lower quality than Europe diesel.

Still, there are zero petrol car in America that gets a reliable 40mpg regardless of how the car is driven. Just about every non-hybrid car out there that advertises 40mpg is not giving real world stats. I hope all those Hyundai Elantra owners are getting their class action checks as the company consistently lie about their mpg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 07:53 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
And what are you driving now?
I said it in the post you quoted.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:03 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,227 times
The gas price thing seems overblown to me. Probably because gas was so cheap in the 90s and because giant gas price signs are on every corner. How much gas can one person use, though? At most, $200/mo if you drive a lot? I get that a lot of people are watching every penny, but it's not the biggest expense in the world. Healthcare and college costs are way higher up on my list.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:15 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
70s when the Honda Civic weighed like 1500-1700lbs with safety standards almost all regular cars today weigh over 3000lbs.

It is absolutely untrue that 40mpg is common today, there is no ordinary car today that gets 40mpg doing city driving without some type of fuel cut off tech. Show me an normal passenger car that gets 40mpg+ in the city with just regular unlead 87 gas.

Not even the Chevy Cruze Eco does 40mpg in the city. All these newer cars that claims to do 40mph+ is only getting 40 highway in ideal conditions that they don't hit traffic jams and at sea level.

2014 Honda Accord 27/36mpg
2014 Camry 25/35mpg
2014 Mazda 3 30/41mpg

Where is the 40 (city) MPG car that you say is very common?

I tell you what I can hit 47mpg in the Prius driving like I stole it without even looking at the console.

No car out there without hybrid can hit 40mpg city driving unless they strip the car's weight down significantly.
There are reviews from places like Edmunds where 2012+ VW Passats getting 45 city 51 highway. Might not be common but they are available

Old 03-29-2014, 08:26 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
The gas price thing seems overblown to me. Probably because gas was so cheap in the 90s and because giant gas price signs are on every corner. How much gas can one person use, though? At most, $200/mo if you drive a lot? I get that a lot of people are watching every penny, but it's not the biggest expense in the world. Healthcare and college costs are way higher up on my list.

And if you do that in a car that AVERAGES 44mpg compared to a more average 22mpg you could put $1200 in your pocket at the end of the year instead of in your gas tank. And some people drop $200 bucks + a WEEK at the pump.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
There are reviews from places like Edmunds where 2012+ VW Passats getting 45 city 51 highway. Might not be common but they are available
We get up to 57 mpg with our old school Jetta TDI. Too bad we about "make up for it" though with increased maintance costs and diesel being 60-80 cents more per gallon anywhere around here.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:36 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Another Diesel comparison to Hybrid. Diesel in the US costs more money to run and the fuel economy doesn't justify unless I have to drive 40-50 highway miles a day to see 45mpg+ with a diesel and don't bring in European prices and standards here.

Take any diesel car available in the US and compare, there is not a single model that's competitive enough in cost savings.

Typical 87 octane gas cost $3.25 while Diesel fuel cost at least $0.25-0.40 more.

The reason why America has not adopted diesel cars as quickly as hybrids because diesel fuel cost more here and lower quality than Europe diesel.

Still, there are zero petrol car in America that gets a reliable 40mpg regardless of how the car is driven. Just about every non-hybrid car out there that advertises 40mpg is not giving real world stats. I hope all those Hyundai Elantra owners are getting their class action checks as the company consistently lie about their mpg.
While there is a small federal tax difference between ulsd and gasoline, the largest culprit is because of the cost of refining Ulsd. That same cost is going to hit gas in 2015 when the epa ultra low sulfur gas standard takes effect. That difference in price will largely evaporate.

There are many models that are competitive with hybrids and many more coming out in the next few years. Many get high 30s and low 40s in the city and 40+ on the highway. The reason they are competitive is because is a 5 mpg gain when your getting 40 is insignificant when you have to sacrifice the luxury of driving a real car.

Lets face it. I dont care what you drive but anyome driving a prius is deluding themselves if they think it handles or is as comfortable as a real car.

Also anyone driving a hybrid or electric car around should google how those materials are stripped out the ground by pumping caustic into it. Thats real "green".

Old 03-29-2014, 08:42 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
I'm one of those Volkswagen Diesel guys, and absolutely love the thing. I've averaged 43 MPG combined since I've owned the car, and recorded 48 mpg at an average speed of 71 mph on a roadtrip last summer. Great little cars, even with the larger 2.0L TDI.

When in Germany, I was able to manage 40 MPG combined city/highway while doing autobahn speeds...same 140 horsepower 2.0L TDI engine as well. Not sure of differences between German/European diesel fuel vs US spec ULSD#2, but I did find it interesting that diesel is the cheapest fuel to purchase in Europe, where-as it's the most expensive here in the states.

My purchase comparison was a bit easier though. The other cars I was comparing it to all used premium fuel, so I was suddenly looking at a $0.10-15 cost differences, often less. Right now I can buy diesel fuel at $3.79, and Premium is running $3.75. Not much difference there, and a lot more economy.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:

Lets face it. I dont care what you drive but anyome driving a prius is deluding themselves if they think it handles or is as comfortable as a real car. .
A prius is a perfectly fine handling and comfort wise auto. Obviously its not Bentley plush, but I can name dozens of other cars its size and smaller or larger that both do not drive any better and are no more comfortable inside. Saying that its vastly different than any other $18-27k, economy/mpg minded auto is just plain blowhard b.s. Thats from someone that over the course of a year actually drives pretty much every auto sold in the U.S. for plenty of miles to see for myself and not getting my info from reading others thoughts and experiences online.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:34 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
While there is a small federal tax difference between ulsd and gasoline, the largest culprit is because of the cost of refining Ulsd. That same cost is going to hit gas in 2015 when the epa ultra low sulfur gas standard takes effect. That difference in price will largely evaporate.
Don't forget that Europe has much more lax standards when it comes to diesels as well. Over there, a diesel doesn't command near as high a premium as it does in the US because it lacks the many emissions controls that are forced upon the car makers here by the EPA.

Diesels also have other "issues" namely, reduced fueling stations, long term smell on clothes/hands even if not spilled (someone I knew would fill up wearing a disposable glove to help with that) and on the newer ones increased mx requirements. I won't even touch the HP fuel pump failures on VWs that lead to a $10k repair bill.

Quote:
Lets face it. I dont care what you drive but anyome driving a prius is deluding themselves if they think it handles or is as comfortable as a real car.

Also anyone driving a hybrid or electric car around should google how those materials are stripped out the ground by pumping caustic into it. Thats real "green".
What exactly is a "real car"? A Prius has an ICE, so do "real cars". Are diesel cars "real cars" or "fake cars" like the Prius in your eyes? What makes a Prius a "fake car"? Is it the large amount of technology that exists? The efficiency of it? The reliability of it far outpacing a tradtional car?

I don't think that many people are buying the Prius for the perceived environmental aspects of it - they buy it due to the efficiency of city driving (something most ICE cars still can't touch with most getting at best low to mid 30's in around town driving), the reliability, the safety features, and the usefulness of it (hatchback type car) all rolled into one neat little package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion