Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:22 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

I like the FR-S and xB. The other models are lame and I don't recall ever seeing one outside a dealer's lot (and usually not there, either). The xB does seem to attract a senior citizen audience, which is clearly not what the company was going for. The tC has potential. I really like the new design for the most part, but it does feel a bit like the front didn't get the aggressive styling that the side received.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I though scion was originally trying to target the younger Generation Y to get them into their first new car so they would become brand loyal to Toyota still the FR-S is decent IMO but then again Subaru sells pretty the exact same car (the BRZ) for a few grand less then Toyota.
Base model BRZ - $25,695
Base model FR-S - $25,470

It's essentially the same car at the same price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 04:25 PM

861 posts, read 1,336,181 times
Scion's demise is due to them pricing themselves out of the market they helped popularize.

Why pay $17k for a xB when Kia Soul costs $15k? xD for $16k when Hyundai Accent costs $14k?

Not only do their competitors make em better but for much less.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:51 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I though scion was originally trying to target the younger Generation Y to get them into their first new car so they would become brand loyal to Toyota still the FR-S is decent IMO but then again Subaru sells pretty the exact same car (the BRZ) for a few grand less then Toyota.
BRZ=more $$ than the FRS. Mainly/especially when options are added.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:52 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
I don't really think the FR-S/BR-Z is a car young people really WANT either. It's a car 50 year old white men THINK young people want.

Look how many 18-30 year olds drive Mustangs/Camaros/Challangers, it's a pretty big number. I bet good money most of them are Automatics too.

The FR-S with it's puny engine is the Kids' Table in comparison, and no-one wants to sit at the Kids' table. The kids want the big V8s.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:59 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I don't really think the FR-S/BR-Z is a car young people really WANT either. It's a car 50 year old white men THINK young people want.

Look how many 18-30 year olds drive Mustangs/Camaros/Challangers, it's a pretty big number. I bet good money most of them are Automatics too.

The FR-S with it's puny engine is the Kids' Table in comparison, and no-one wants to sit at the Kids' table. The kids want the big V8s.
Not true. One of my friends (29) has a BRZ, and most people on the brz forum I am in are 30 or under. A lot of young people are actually learning to drive and value what the brz and frs bring to the table for scca type activities.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:12 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post

How many FR-S owners do you know?

Yes, lots of young people drive Mustangs/Camaros/Challengers, but there are also a lot of young people driving an FR-S. You mock the FR-S's puny engine, but ignore that the car is significantly lighter.

It's also smaller, which is great when you have to park it in cities. And it gets better fuel economy. And it has great handling.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:07 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
I don't want a big v8. The size, or sound of the motor mean absolutely nothing to me.

Reliability, tune-ability, power.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:56 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
How many FR-S owners do you know?

Yes, lots of young people drive Mustangs/Camaros/Challengers, but there are also a lot of young people driving an FR-S. You mock the FR-S's puny engine, but ignore that the car is significantly lighter.

It's also smaller, which is great when you have to park it in cities. And it gets better fuel economy. And it has great handling.

The thing's got 151 lbsft torque, that's pretty pathetic for a sports car. A V6 Camry or Accord can smoke it.

Also it's a sports car, so fuel economy shouldn't be a priority. Also the size difference between it and a Muscle car isn't enough to warrant a significant increase in ease of parking.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:12 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
I had an '08 Scion tC with the 5 speed manual. It was a fun little car to drive, had a lot of room considering the small size of the vehicle. However, there was a lot of road noise, it was severely underpowered and you could tell that it was an economy vehicle. I also had an issue with the hatch where the rear plastic piece broke off. I believe there was a recall issued for it but I had already gotten rid of the vehicle by the time I got the notice.

Also, for a vehicle with a 4 cylinder, I thought the mileage could've been better.

IMO, if they offered a forced induction version of the FR-S/BRZ that wouldn't break the bank, I think they would sell a lot of them.

Horsepower can sell cars.

I think Toyota really dropped the ball recently on the Scion line. They were quite popular when they first came out but now they've faded quite severely.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:30 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
My wife and I each own an XB.. And as for older people driving them, yes we do but a hell of a lot of young people drive them as well.. Most of you on here must not be into the car scene or live in So Cal.. If you were you would see tons of Scions at the events and driving all over mostly by young people....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion