Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 09:21 PM

276 posts, read 576,760 times

Advertisements

When I purchased my 2015 xB a little more than a week ago, the finance person tried very hard to sell me a $600 LoJack vehicle locator system, along with an alarm system, and stated that the xB is a high theft vehicle. Since I had never heard of the Scion xB being a high theft vehicle before, I opted not to get any additional security items on the vehicle. Since I had used The Club (steering wheel lock) on my previous vehicle for over 19 years, I have never had any break-ins or attempted theft issues.

Yet I was just curious does anyone know if an xB have a high theft rate? Since the 2015 year was the last year that the xB was made, I suppose theft might become an issue in the years to come, as they will become more valuable for their parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 10:31 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,207,011 times
I will bite....has a single Xb ever been stolen?

Old 09-15-2015, 09:15 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Nah...Thieves want cars that are easy to steal, or easy to sell the parts for, or are high end/exotic. Ideally a combination of the first two; that's why Honda Accord's and Ford F150's top the stolen lists.

The Finance manager wanted to sell you the Lo-Jack because he made a hefty profit in it. You don't think that the car is unreliable because he wanted to sell you an extended warranty, right?

Old 09-24-2015, 07:56 AM

Wankel7, now that is a very good question.

JONOV, thank you for your reply and for sharing your thoughts. Out of curiosity, since 2015 was the last year that the xB was made, do you think that “maybe” 20 years from now, will xBs become valuable for their parts or do you think that 20 years from now, that the parts of a Scion FR-S or xC will be in higher demand than an xB, since a FR-S or xC will “probably” be a more desirable car to have long-term? Yet that was a great call about the extended warranty. LOL!!! The finance guy did not push the extended warranty at all . . . it was more of a thing that he “had” to mention it as part of his job . . . yet it was the added alarm system and the LoJack that he pressed hard on. Yet since I have known many Toyota owners personally over 35 years, all of them have been happy with their Toyotas, and I have never once heard any of them complain about them long-term in regards to reliability and or quality issues. Sure their cars and trucks had regular mechanical problems over the years, but nothing really major during their ownership. In many cases, those same people either went on to buy another Toyota or 2 or 3 over the years. In some cases, some went on to buy a Lexus.

Starting back in the late 70's, I always had Japanese cars and I had good luck with them. Then by the 90's, there was that big push to “buy American automobiles” . . . which I had 2 brand new American Vehicles in 1991 and 1996 (out of guilt and wanting to do my part to help the American economy) . . . but overall, the quality and reliability just was not there. So after driving American cars for over 24 years, I think I am done with American cars for now. Yet since I had never owned a Toyota before and after hearing all of the great comments from Toyota owners (I knew personally) for over 35 years, I decided to try my luck and buy one. Hopefully I will be “another” happy and satisfied Toyota owner and Toyota family member that Mr. Toyota can add to his family tree.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user9430961 View Post
Wankel7, now that is a very good question.

JONOV, thank you for your reply and for sharing your thoughts. Out of curiosity, since 2015 was the last year that the xB was made, do you think that “maybe” 20 years from now, will xBs become valuable for their parts or do you think that 20 years from now, that the parts of a Scion FR-S or xC will be in higher demand than an xB, since a FR-S or xC will “probably” be a more desirable car to have long-term? Yet that was a great call about the extended warranty. LOL!!! The finance guy did not push the extended warranty at all . . . it was more of a thing that he “had” to mention it as part of his job . . . yet it was the added alarm system and the LoJack that he pressed hard on. Yet since I have known many Toyota owners personally over 35 years, all of them have been happy with their Toyotas, and I have never once heard any of them complain about them long-term in regards to reliability and or quality issues. Sure their cars and trucks had regular mechanical problems over the years, but nothing really major during their ownership. In many cases, those same people either went on to buy another Toyota or 2 or 3 over the years. In some cases, some went on to buy a Lexus.

Starting back in the late 70's, I always had Japanese cars and I had good luck with them. Then by the 90's, there was that big push to “buy American automobiles” . . . which I had 2 brand new American Vehicles in 1991 and 1996 (out of guilt and wanting to do my part to help the American economy) . . . but overall, the quality and reliability just was not there. So after driving American cars for over 24 years, I think I am done with American cars for now. Yet since I had never owned a Toyota before and after hearing all of the great comments from Toyota owners (I knew personally) for over 35 years, I decided to try my luck and buy one. Hopefully I will be “another” happy and satisfied Toyota owner and Toyota family member that Mr. Toyota can add to his family tree.
I don't think that the xB will be particularly collectible in 20 years, and I wouldn't worry about the parts being valuable to the point of theft. Of the vehicles you mentioned, I would look at the FRS as being the most theft prone. In any case, aside from body panels, I doubt that there is a whole lot that is mechanically unique about the xB. The engine, transmission, etc are probably what you see in the Corolla and other Toyota products.

If a car IS collectible, then usually there are secondary markets that pop up to serve the demand. For example, you could probably find all the parts you could want for a Toyota Supra, but for a Cressida of the same year? Not so much.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:47 AM

JONOV, thanks for the feedback. WHEW!!! Now I can sleep better knowing that the chances of my xB being stolen are slim . . . or slim for now. Since I live in Los Angeles and was living here when the first generation of the xB was introduced, I must say that I do not see a lot of people (maybe just a big handful) over the years driving around in souped-up, tricked-out, uber customized xBs . . . so hopefully while I own mine, the xB will not grow into some sort of cult classic and end up on our nation’s annual 10 most stolen car list. LOL!!!

DARN!!! I guess I will have to kill my retirement dream of fully restoring my grandpa’s 1979 Toyota Cressida, since it sounds like I will not be able to get all of the parts I need.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user9430961 View Post
DARN!!! I guess I will have to kill my retirement dream of fully restoring my grandpa’s 1979 Toyota Cressida, since it sounds like I will not be able to get all of the parts I need.
Learn how to weld and work with metal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion