Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 04:43 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,377,347 times

Advertisements

Loved my 2000 Avalon, bought used in 2002. And...I was not in the "senior crowd". Smooth ride, quiet cabin, buttery leather, surprisingly decent sound - cool bustle back design. Don't like the newer ones however. I would laugh and think that I was probably one of a handful of non senior persons that owned the car.

Edit to add: I see several threads mentioned the decline of large sedans for SUV's. I prefer a large sedan, I like the floaty, couch feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 01:19 AM

296 posts, read 413,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
It rides better than the Camry and is quieter.

I'm going to go pick up a 2007 Avalon XLE tomorrow. 60K miles for $10k.

My previous Camry test rides were rough, bouncy, and loud. The Avalon is more quiet and smooth. I like a quiet and smooth ride. Reliability is supposed to be good. I'm OK with the styling.

BTW, a Buick Lucerne was an alternate choice for me. That is also a nice driver with a reliable engine.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:25 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,830,293 times
Sounds good. Hope you enjoy it.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:20 PM

Turned out to be a bust. Electrical system started to fail. Had a bad alternator.
Carcomplaints.com calls it a clunker.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:32 AM

9,376 posts, read 6,985,952 times
Old persons car... if you want that might as go Lexus LS.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:12 PM

You're probably right. LS is reported to be smoother and more quiet. Going to go test drive one next week. BTW, I'm 57, so I guess I'm old now.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:28 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Old persons car... if you want that might as go Lexus LS.
Well, the LS is a lot more pricier because it competes with a Merc S-class type.

Usually the Avalon is benchmarked vs. an ES as the price and size is closer.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:58 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
I think that segment still exists, although it may be more of a niche market than in the past. I actually fit into this group of consumers. I'd rather have a Toyota Avalon over a Lexus ES 350 and I'd pick a Honda Accord Touring over an Acura TLX without a second thought! IMO, the Avalon and Accord are better cars (and better values) than their premium-branded siblings (or cousins, perhaps).

I may not be the norm for a single 41-year-old guy, but I wouldn't drive the entry-level model for any premium/luxury automaker. When I see a BMW 320i or Lexus IS 250, I can't help but think that the driver bought (or leased) the cheapest model (often with no options) just to get the luxury nameplate. I can't fathom buying/leasing a car (like the 320i) with a sticker price in the mid $30s, but it doesn't even have power seats, leather or heated front seats. Once you add those 'extras', the price is closer to $40k. But it has the BMW emblem.....

We called them "posers" back in high school.
I also really like the Avalon. I'm a bit hesitant to get a premium brand car lest my clients see it and think I might be making too much money at their expense.

The BMW 320i and Lexus IS interior room is a bit on the skimpy size which is a deal breaker for me.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:23 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,830,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I also really like the Avalon. I'm a bit hesitant to get a premium brand car lest my clients see it and think I might be making too much money at their expense.
That's sound logic. The Avalon is a nice car, luxurious enough for me while being practical and reliable.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:03 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,566,806 times
We got my grandmother a brand new Avalon in the late 90's and she drove it, but mostly the family used it to take her on trips. I loved driving it. Six years later we got her another Avalon with even more options and within a month my cousin drove it (probably drunk) and plowed into the large brick sign at the front of their neighborhood. Then we got her a lexus. I'm not sure why she chose to step up, maybe because her stocks were doing so well.

So for me, the Avalon just has good memories. It's a bit too large for my taste, but every time I see one it's full of good memories even though the new models look totally different. I don't like that the 2018 Camry's are coming out with the new Toyota Angry Face front. I hope they don't do that to the Avalon, it's something that somewhat ruined the Lexus for me.

I am one of those who went with the current SUV/CUV craze. Now I'm seeing a lot of my friends go back to sedans. One went from Jeep to Infiniti, another from a leased Mercedes to a Hyundai Elantra (the lease was way too much) and the others are reconsidering their SUVs. With so many people leasing though, it only takes a few years for the tides to turn.

I went from an Accord to an Escape Titanium and my next car (2 years away at the very least) will be back to a sedan. But that's the LA car market. I'm sure the SUV craze will take longer to fade in other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion