Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 01:33 PM

342 posts, read 318,039 times

Advertisements

These are solid reliable vehicles. The downside is they suck fuel and are really outdated compared to the German competitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 02:25 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Lexus are solid and reliable. The Sequoia has more room and similar MPGs. The GX is the Lexus version of the 4Runner, so the third row can be smaller. The Land Cruiser/LX are roomier and will go anywhere, but fuel economy is not a strong suit as I barely break 15 in mine on the highway, but it will go anywhere and through anything.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-04-2017, 07:28 PM

635 posts, read 783,833 times
A great vehicle. I like Lexus better than German vehicles. It would be my choice if i have the money.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:13 AM

607 posts, read 2,367,815 times
I just drove the GX 460 (Lexus) and can now take it off the search list. It was way to cramped and small feeling. Reminded me of being in a forerunner on steroids, While the features were cushy, the size just does not get it done.

My better half is pushing towards the "boxy" Honda Pilot before they switched to the new rounded sleeker model (2014-15).

I'm thinking the Toyota Sequoia myself, but wondering if the actual gas mileage isn't worth the roominess....

While I agree on the utilitarian features of the minivan, I am struggling with the concept.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:07 AM

192 posts, read 131,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
I just drove the GX 460 (Lexus) and can now take it off the search list. It was way to cramped and small feeling. Reminded me of being in a forerunner on steroids, While the features were cushy, the size just does not get it done.

My better half is pushing towards the "boxy" Honda Pilot before they switched to the new rounded sleeker model (2014-15).

I'm thinking the Toyota Sequoia myself, but wondering if the actual gas mileage isn't worth the roominess....

While I agree on the utilitarian features of the minivan, I am struggling with the concept.
I think you owe it to yourself to sit in the pilot and Odyssey. We did both recently while car shopping, and logically we couldn't go with the Pilot, as nice as it was.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:25 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post

I don't think you'll find the Pilot to be notably roomier...Its about the same as a Highlander.

For the space you desire, you're really limited to Sequoia/LandCruiser/Armada/Tahoe/Expedition class vehicles.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:54 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,399,531 times
You do yourself a disservice if you do not look at the VW Atlas. I am 6'2" and I fit comfortably in the 3rd row.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:59 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,554,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I don't think you'll find the Pilot to be notably roomier...Its about the same as a Highlander.

For the space you desire, you're really limited to Sequoia/LandCruiser/Armada/Tahoe/Expedition class vehicles.
Completely agree! We're a family of 4 and have a 2013 Highlander and love it. Use the 3rd row for kid's friends every now and then, and sometimes adults when we have family in town and going somewhere. But it's rare we use the 3rd row. With 3 teenagers, definitely too small.

I am thinking Sequoia, maybe Land Cruiser. Fact, the Land Cruiser is considered to be one of the most reliable and bullet proof vehicles ever made in general (one reason why they cost sooo much and people rarely get rid of them). The Sequoia is like it's good cousin.

Honestly, I've had a few Lexus vehicles (LS400 and GS430), and a few Toyota vehicles (2005 V8 4Runner, current 2013 Highlander Limited). I much prefer the Toyota's over the Lexus. Lexus isn't as reliable as you might think. True, they'll always run. But that super smooth ride and quiet interior is primarily due to soft suspension bushings throughout the car, and when one starts to go, it's very annoying and costly. They also tend to do things to the Lexus badge that really isn't necessary, and can get pricey to fix. For example: that GX you were looking at - they're known for a rear leveling system that has been a notable area of issue (and costly). Wake up one day, and find your Lexus sitting in the garage looking like it's constipated. The driveshaft that runs down the middle of the car, needs to be serviced via a grease gun every year or so to prevent a loud and notable banging noise every time you come to a stop (it's a sleeve-like design and known to stick, then when it moves, it slams into the rear differential causing the thump and making you think you were just gently rear ended). I've never had that problem with our Toyota cars, which were/are perfectly smooth, quiet, and bullet proof reliable. I only got rid of the 4Runner (at 150k miles) because it just felt too unstable. Like if a deer jumped out and I had to jerk the wheel, it'd roll over. Not sure if it would, but certainly didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that it wouldn't. Almost found out the hard way once while going through W. Virginia. I can confirm the Highlander does not act like that (car-based, not truck based), as we found out at 80mph over thanksgiving on I-95 to avoid an 18-wheeler that was staring to jackknife because the rear wheels locked up with an empty trailer. It acted like a Camry, not a Tacoma.

I view the argument between Toyota and Lexus along the lines of "if it isn't broken, don't fix it". Meaning, get a loaded up Toyota for a few thousand less than the comparable Lexus and be close enough to be happy for many years to come, without having to worry about the added "coolness" stuff that isn't necessarily needed but tacked onto a Lexus.

Personally, I won't buy Lexus again myself. But will buy Toyota, no doubt about it.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:23 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,527,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

We have a Pilot and 4Runner and the Pilot is noticeably larger. The Pilot replaced a Highlander. My favorite was/is the Highlander.

The 4Runner is a pain to get into.

I have not idea about the OP budget but guessing it is not high enough for new rides and therefore I would check out a used Expedition and an Armada. For size.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:29 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
subaru outback can sit 5 adults fairly comfortably with trunk space for luggage

well, 5 adults that arent obese :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion