Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 11:34 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times

Advertisements

Rumor has it the updated 2020 Tacoma may debut at the Chicago Auto Show this month. What do we hope changes? I know I wasn't satisfied with the 2015-2019 truck to replace my older Tacoma so I've been waiting to see what happens. After all, my old truck with almost 650k miles is still going strong!

Some hopes:
  • More headroom. I have to tilt my head sideways to sit in the latest Tacoma. Having a seat with height adjustment would help.
  • Auto 4WD - Should have been there a long time ago
  • Better automatic transmission mapping
  • Apple CarPlay
  • Homelink availability
  • Improved gas mileage

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 06:18 PM

686 posts, read 804,768 times
I hope they do something with the tundra as well in 2020.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:02 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
I'm hoping they tweaked the powertrain a bit to smooth it out and offer more power across the board as those seem to be the only real drivability complaints people have.

Increase reliability. Yes, it's currently the most reliable midsize truck and the introduction of the Gladiator and Ranger and unlikely to challenge it's standing in that regard but it's still the least reliable Toyota model as far as I know. Toyota buyers expect stellar reliability out of their vehicles NOT average reliability.

Interior. Make it up to par with the current 4Runner. Offer at least the the Softex option at various trim levels on v6 models. Alot of people don't want cloth interior nor do they want to be forced into a fully loaded vehicle in order to get rid of it. The Softex is a good compromise.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:24 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Rumor has it the updated 2020 Tacoma may debut at the Chicago Auto Show this month. What do we hope changes? I know I wasn't satisfied with the 2015-2019 truck to replace my older Tacoma so I've been waiting to see what happens. After all, my old truck with almost 650k miles is still going strong!

Some hopes:
  • More headroom. I have to tilt my head sideways to sit in the latest Tacoma. Having a seat with height adjustment would help.
  • Auto 4WD - Should have been there a long time ago
  • Better automatic transmission mapping
  • Apple CarPlay
  • Homelink availability
  • Improved gas mileage

What do you think?

What do you mean by auto 4wd? Do you mean AWD, selector switch, or the stick? I personally hate the selector switch and prefer the separate stick for it like I have in my 4Runner.

You won't see much better fuel economy unless they go to the 8 speed tranny which might help with your tranny mapping comment.

Apple CarPlay, I personally don't care for Apple so not a deal breaker for me.

I have sat in the current generation Taco and have no issue with headroom.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
What do you mean by auto 4wd? Do you mean AWD, selector switch, or the stick? I personally hate the selector switch and prefer the separate stick for it like I have in my 4Runner.

You won't see much better fuel economy unless they go to the 8 speed tranny which might help with your tranny mapping comment.

Apple CarPlay, I personally don't care for Apple so not a deal breaker for me.

I have sat in the current generation Taco and have no issue with headroom.
No, not AWD. Auto 4WD like they have on the 4Runner Limited, and much of the competition has. Similar to the unit on my Land Cruiser. Much different than AWD.

Glad you don't care about ApplePlay. Most people do. Do you still spin CDs or 8 tracks?

The current headroom, with a non-adjustable height seat, is terrible. If you are over 6 foot. So, at 6'3", a deal breaker for me and most of my friends that are interested in the Tacoma. Now, I see a lot of petite guys in the current Tacoma but not a lot of tall guys. May indicate a problem.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:42 PM

686 posts, read 804,768 times
I second the CarPlay and or android play feature. Entune sucks!!

Push button start would also be nice. My neighbor has a 2017 f150 platinum and it puts my tundra to shame in a lot of categories.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:28 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
No, not AWD. Auto 4WD like they have on the 4Runner Limited, and much of the competition has. Similar to the unit on my Land Cruiser. Much different than AWD.

Glad you don't care about ApplePlay. Most people do. Do you still spin CDs or 8 tracks?

The current headroom, with a non-adjustable height seat, is terrible. If you are over 6 foot. So, at 6'3", a deal breaker for me and most of my friends that are interested in the Tacoma. Now, I see a lot of petite guys in the current Tacoma but not a lot of tall guys. May indicate a problem.

Actually you mean full time 4WD. Meaning it is in 4WD all the time. That really kills gas mileage and is a more expensive system which is why you will only find it in the LC and the Limited 4Runner.

And yes I do use CD's still and refuse to have anything to do with Apple.

And as far as your arrogant slam against those who are not over 6 feet tall, apparently since Tacos sell very well, I would say that most men are not over 6 feet tall and have no issue with the current Taco as far as headroom. And no we are not "petite".

Old 02-02-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Actually you mean full time 4WD. Meaning it is in 4WD all the time. That really kills gas mileage and is a more expensive system which is why you will only find it in the LC and the Limited 4Runner.

And as far as your arrogant slam against those who are not over 6 feet tall, apparently since Tacos sell very well, I would say that most men are not over 6 feet tall and have no issue with the current Taco as far as headroom. And no we are not "petite".
Guess I don't see the term 'petite' as an arrogant slam. Short in stature, less than tall? Bottom line - not tall folks.

Regarding 4WD. I'm not looking for a full time 4WD system. I have a Land Cruiser 100 and a 200. Those are full time 4WD. And, strangely, the real world mileage isn't that bad. But what I am talking about is the Auto 4WD that my old 15 year K2500 Suburban had, and the current F150 and Chevy pickups have. They are 100% rear wheel drive until they sense slippage, then they auto engage the front to make 4WD. A modern truck would have these features. Having driven my old 4x4 Taco and 4Runner without this, in mixed snow and ice highway conditions, it makes the vehicle much safer which I would like to have if I am going to invest $40k in a new truck. Hopefully Toyota will incorporate this.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:21 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I’d like to see a soft open tailgate, Tundras have had this for years so it can’t be that difficult. More sound deadening would be nice as well since many Taco owners upgrade to bigger all-terrain tires which are noisy.

Personally I don’t care about Apple CarPlay and all of that crap. I seldom ever even use the Bluetooth in mine.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:40 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
Quote:

From what I am seeing there is only like a 2 mpg penalty between a 4Runner SR5 4x2 and the Limited 4x4. All the 4Runner models are so close in mpg ratings that it hardly matters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion