Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 05:06 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,068,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Your probably one of the people ranting this past summer that we would never see cheap gas EVER again... sooooo many people were singing this tune. Don't speculate because your probably just going to be wrong.
Or maybe, I'll be right! If that's okay with you, I'll keep my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 09:25 AM

347 posts, read 1,358,743 times
Quote:
Sales of the hybrid car have softened in recent weeks as gasoline prices dropped from a summer spike of more than $4 a gallon.
OK, so we saw gas prices rising for the past 3 years and dropping for 3 months, and that was enough to freeze production of the Prius?
What happened to "While the Big 3 are losing sales, Toyota is profitable and blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda"?
All I can say is that Toyota's business model is flawed.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:31 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,688,487 times
I hope GM didn't waste money by creating the Volt, they sure need that car to be successful.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:02 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,068,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I hope GM didn't waste money by creating the Volt, they sure need that car to be successful.
I'm starting to have serious doubt about the Volt, did you know it's going to cost about 40 grand?! That's just too expensive and the charge is only good for 40 miles before running on the gas engine AND while the gas engine is running, the battery will not be going through a charge!! Why would anyone in their right mind spend 40 grand on that type of car with its limitations??!! Not to mention reliability concerns. It's crazy talk!

Old 12-16-2008, 05:58 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,725,665 times
GM is "weeping"??? More like laughing... ohhh chinese engineering, always at the deepest valley of of quality.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:23 PM

620 posts, read 2,085,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
GM is "weeping"??? More like laughing... ohhh chinese engineering, always at the deepest valley of of quality.
I doubt it. They laughed at the Japanese early efforts and look what it got 'em. They're a lot more circumspect now.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
I doubt it. They laughed at the Japanese early efforts and look what it got 'em. They're a lot more circumspect now.
Actually Americans put Japanese on their manufacturing feet by teaching them quality control techniques in mass production. Japanese have also always been able to engineer/design on their own, we never laughed at them rather we helped become who they are... this symbiotic relationship is still shared with them in technological fields... none of this reverse engineering crap that the Chinese are constantly guilty of, I would never use any heavy equipment made by those people, not in this century at least.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:58 PM

620 posts, read 2,085,903 times
All of what you say is true, on a national level. But we were speaking of the automotive industry. The early efforts of the Japanese automakers at marketing their vehicles in our country were scoffed at by management of the big 3. I believe I might have laughed at them a few times myself.

But, by the mid 70s I owned a Toyota Celica and felt certain that it was the best car in the world for its price.

The Chinese have built a reputation for being reverse engineers, it's true. But, like the lotus, we'll have to wait for their manufacturing expertise to go full bloom. Best we not judge them too quickly.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
The Chinese have built a reputation for being reverse engineers, it's true. But, like the lotus, we'll have to wait for their manufacturing expertise to go full bloom. Best we not judge them too quickly.
They will always lag behind until they get that practice out of their blood, until that day comes I will continue to chuckle and snide... should I also mention that they have the longest history of mass reverse engineering than any other country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion