Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:42 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times

Advertisements

I think Ford and Hyundai will be the fastest rising auto makers for 2010 and for maybe 2011. I am looking at both manufacturers and I'm also considering buying a Malibu. Basically, it's a Sonata, Malibu, or Fusion for me. I'm tempted by the Fusion hybrid, though the Malibu has gotten consistently high marks.

My wife wants a Honda Fit ....... so assuming the usual rules go, we'll be getting a Fit *sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 12:00 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I think Ford and Hyundai will be the fastest rising auto makers for 2010 and for maybe 2011. I am looking at both manufacturers and I'm also considering buying a Malibu. Basically, it's a Sonata, Malibu, or Fusion for me. I'm tempted by the Fusion hybrid, though the Malibu has gotten consistently high marks.

My wife wants a Honda Fit ....... so assuming the usual rules go, we'll be getting a Fit *sigh*

If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!!! LOL

Old 02-26-2010, 06:16 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,134,615 times
If I felt Toyota went the way of Detroit, and this was not a temporary mess up, I certainly would NOT buy a Detroit 3 car! The Detroit 3 had so many recalls for so many different things over the years it's not funny! The press just didn't create mass hysteria over it. I would buy a Honda or a Hyundai over anything that spewed out of Detroit.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:26 PM

404 posts, read 1,557,194 times
gogogo HYUNDAI!!!

EDIT: and don't look now here comes KIA!

Kia Plant Buoys U.S. ‘Ambitions’ as Toyota Stumbles on Recalls - BusinessWeek

Last edited by ploopy; 02-26-2010 at 06:42 PM..

Old 02-26-2010, 11:13 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
If I felt Toyota went the way of Detroit, and this was not a temporary mess up, I certainly would NOT buy a Detroit 3 car! The Detroit 3 had so many recalls for so many different things over the years it's not funny! The press just didn't create mass hysteria over it. I would buy a Honda or a Hyundai over anything that spewed out of Detroit.

With a statement like this and your forum name, I'd say you are outafocus alright!

Old 02-27-2010, 12:42 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
gogogo HYUNDAI!!!

EDIT: and don't look now here comes KIA!
Yeah, gogogo... back to Korea!
(Kia, too.)

Old 02-27-2010, 01:14 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
First of all the poor economy overhangs everything. I do not see how the auto business as a whole, improves meaningfully over the next few years.

Cars/trucks will of course be bought, so the manufacturers are fighting for market share.

I think Ford will continue to gain market share. Ford will take share from all brands except the luxury imports since Ford has nothing that appeals to a Lexus or Mercedes buyer. GM will win some and lose some. They still have no distinctive small cars. No one who would normally buy a Honda Civic will choose a Cobalt instead.

Not one good thing is happening at Chysler. They will lose share in all of their markets, including Jeep, their best brand. No one will trust their updated models because Chrysler has 20 years of bad history.

Toyota will be stung - and some of their buyers will choose Honda, Subaru, Hyundai, Ford, and Nissan instead.

I don't think Honda will be a big winner per se. Many of their current vehicles are not special - the Pilot for example. The CRV is very good but is underpowered compared to others with equivalent fuel economy (RAV4 V6 especially). Honda doesn't have a sports car in the lineup anymore.

I think Subaru and Hyundai are on a roll and it will continue.
Great analysis, overall.

I just think many are underestimating Toyota. Once this whole news, other suspecting (behind the scenes) players are done with their witch hunt, Toyota will fare well. Again, mark my words. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. But in the business I'm in (actuary), I am betting on Toyota in the long run.

The thing is plenty of people are just waiting for this thing to blow over, to get their Toyotas.

They know:
1. Toyota cannot and will not rest on its laurels anymore, hence better products.

2. Toyota will do whatever it takes to keep its segment share, and Toyota has the deep pockets to do it. They need to bring more interesting cars, and let the suppliers from Japan get more parts in the American cars.

3. Better products will come sooner than later, making all competitors work harder to stay ahead. (We all benefit anyways, whether we like Toyota or its competitors). If it weren't for the Japanese, US Automakers would still be producing S-hitty cars.

4. Toyota will be offering 100k mile warranty in their cars very soon, to match the Domestic's warranties.

My wife and I are going to test drive the new Sienna tomorrow. It would take more than the news/media to get many, many Toyota owners who have had repeated success away from their cars, and future Toyotas.

Ask people who owned more than one or two Toyotas, and you'll get the honest truth, the news can't deny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
What I hope is that when this whole thing blows over....Toyota will cut their prices in order get their customers back. If that happens, I'll be down at the Toyota dealer with my checkbook...even though I don't really need any new vehicles right now...
Either that, or I'm just looking for unsuspecting suckers who will let go of their Toyotas for dirt cheap. I'm ready...Cash in hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
The new Malibu is very stylish, the Buick LaCrosse is nice too.
I have always had a personal preference for Chrysler myself. If I had the money I would go out and buy a new Dodge Challenger SRT-8. It would be worth the $46k to have that car
$46k for a Dodge? That's just crazy!!

I would never pay $5k for one, let alone $46k. I can get a new Camry LE and a brand new Accord LX (both 4cyl) for that money. Or a Sienna and change for a low mileage Civic LX. Or get a BMW 335i, Lexus IS350, or even an EcoBoost Taurus for less money (with minor mods, I'm beating that Dodge on all tracks with the last 3 cars).

Too many options for that kind of money.

That's just crazy. What are the guys from Detroit thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Listen to the wife. She knows best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Agreed. Too many good options out there. But in Ford's defense, they have improved. They're making better cars, but again, too many options out there.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:23 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yeah, gogogo... back to Korea!
(Kia, too.)
Do you want them to go back with the jobs they created in the USA too?

Sure, why not? Since our loving US Automakers are shipping jobs elsewhere too.

Then blame the gov't (and liberals too, right? )....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc130 View Post
Yeah, Hyundai will probably pick-up whatever slack Toyota leave. Chrysler might bring this to the US to compete with Ford Transit Connects

If it comes as a turbo diesel with 6speed manual and Ford is still trying to push gas motors with a 4speed auto on people wanting transit like vehicles, then I may just get that Fiat/Dodge
Only if it comes with the Fiat badge (which I hope it does). If Dodge stamps its name on that car, it's not going anywhere. The Ford Transit will walk all over it, if the Chrysler badge is on it.

I hope Fiat sets foot here, and distances itself from Chrysler, once established. It would benefit them in the long run.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Listen to the wife. She knows best.
No, definitely DON'T listen to the wife!

Old 02-27-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Do you want them to go back with the jobs they created in the USA too?

Sure, why not? Since our loving US Automakers are shipping jobs elsewhere too.

Then blame the gov't (and liberals too, right? )....
I stand by my statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion