Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 6,175 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be travelling from turkey to Egypt, and in the Israel-Egypt Segment, I'm looking for any suggestions/advice of anyone who's done the holy land tour-
Has anyone done this? Whats the best way to do this? I wouldn't mind getting a guide for this, as It will probably take less time than finding everything yourself, and will leave a few extra days for me to wander around and explore. Any suggestions on where/how to get a good guide?
Is anyone perhaps going there at the same time (again) and would like a travelling buddy for that segment? I'm travelling in October.
Also, with the holy land sites, are the majority of those in Israel? or Jordan? whats the relationship between the 2 places, and could I visit both if need be?
...and if anyone has an approximate Idea of how much $ i'd need for 1 week (holy land tour, Israel and/or Jordan, Dead sea visit, crossing into Egypt) It would be greatly appreciated. I'm couchsurfing (unless more convenient otherwise), so approximate $ for food/entrance fees/Transportation only.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 12:09 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
I know the best guide for Egypt, if you're interested. I know several people that used him in the last year and they have nothing but positive things to say about him. I'll PM you his info if you want.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:05 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
In Israel are you interested in the Christian Holy sites or the Jewish Holy sites or both?
Yes, you can visit both Israel & Jordan & Egypt in the same trip if needed.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I know the best guide for Egypt, if you're interested. I know several people that used him in the last year and they have nothing but positive things to say about him. I'll PM you his info if you want.
Yes, that would be great! do you know where he starts from? (city)

Old 08-17-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In Israel are you interested in the Christian Holy sites or the Jewish Holy sites or both?
Yes, you can visit both Israel & Jordan & Egypt in the same trip if needed.
In both. 'cept I imagine there are LOTS, so any suggestions on which to see & which to avoid would be great

Old 08-17-2010, 03:50 PM

In Jerusalem, you need to go the Old City which is walled. Within the Old City, you can see Western/Wailing Wall which is the holiest site for the Jews. There are several churches within the Old City of different denominations.
I also suggest you visit Nazareth in Northern Israel which also has several important churches.
Another city to visit is Tiberias which is on the shore of the Sea of Galilee which has important ancient churches as well as ancient synagogues.
You also mentioned that you would like to visit the Dead Sea. While you are there you should visit Masada (a mountain fortress overlooking the shores of the Dead Sea where Jewish Sicarii insurgents held out for three years against the Romans after the fall of Jerusalem in 70C.E. and then committed mass suicide to avoid capture)and if you would like to take a short hike I suggest visiting the Ein Gedi Nature reserve to see a wonderful waterfall & pool in the middle of the desert. I also recommend taking a scenic flight of the area from the Masada/Bar Yehuda Airstrip.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:54 PM

Thanks! Thats great info Chava61. Is there maybe hot air baloon flights? or you mean helicopter or plane?

Old 08-17-2010, 04:30 PM

From the Masada/Bar Yehuda airstrip you can take a small 4 seater airplane for a scenic flight. There is one company that operates from that small airstrip. If you take the flight, you will be given a certificate that you took off & landed from the lowest airport on Earth! There is also a Bedouin tent there for one to relax and have a traditional meal made by a local Bedouin.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 AM

322 posts, read 710,329 times
Default MAK802 - your PM is off to non-friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Could you kindly PM the guide you know in Egypt?

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:56 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
When visiting Christian sites in Egypt, be very careful.

In Israel a "must" visit is the Jewish mystical city of Safed (sometimes spelled Zefat, S'vat, etc.) in HaGalil; this is were much of the Kabbalah was written and there are mystic yeshivas here. It's also a charming artist's colony. It's an ancient historical mountain town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel