Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:57 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I know three people denied entry to the UK because they didn't have cash/credit cards and it was obvious they were going to try to work on a visitor visa. I also know someone denied entry into New Zealand for the same reason. A former coworker was almost denied entry into France last year for that reason, she was allowed in after the friend she was going to stay with signed a waiver stating that they would be financially responsible for her. One of my cousins was denied entry into a South American country (Argentina? I can't recall for sure) for not having the right documentation and not having enough cash to pay the entry AND exit visa fees.
Ditto.

I was extensively quizzed when I went to the UK at the age of 21 what exactly I was doing there and what I was doing out of school since I stated I was a student(spring break).

I've also been queried quite a bit on entry in Australia and New Zealand.

With all the hundreds of perpetual travelers I have known personally I know quite a few knocked back for not having their finances in order.

I seriously doubt you'll be allowed into any country with $160 in funds, especially with a 3 month trip. As I have found with traveling, often things end up costing twice as much as expected due to unexpected or unknown expenses. I think with a week trip you might pass but with a 3 month stay on the cards I suspect they'll be asking how you intend to support yourself.

Here is a scruffy adventure motorcycle dude that got hit with a $100 bribe by the mexican police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5OglEqjRFo

Could he had handled it better? Sure, but no one wants to take a chance of being ridden like a hobby horse in a stinking mexican jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 02:16 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I seriously doubt you'll be allowed into any country with $160 in funds, especially with a 3 month trip..
I disagree, I've entered third world countries dozens of times with visas ranging from 14 days to multiple entry 90 day, and not once have I been asked to show proof of money. Not a single time.

Entering Panama or Costa Rica he'll be fine.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:20 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
This is not the 1970s, youre not just gonna find a daily job in random places, people cant find jobs when they live in the city! why dont you just work some extra hours and save up some more money and actually enjoy a vacation?
Bull. Much of Europe operates as an underground economy, especially in more corrupt countries like Italy and Portugal. Farms, cafes, etc in smaller towns do not obey the laws as regularly as you'd like to believe when it comes to insurance, regulations, etc of supplemental staff.

OP, do not believe this hip deep level of BS.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:41 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I disagree, I've entered third world countries dozens of times with visas ranging from 14 days to multiple entry 90 day, and not once have I been asked to show proof of money. Not a single time.

Sure, I say go for it, sounds completely wise and sensible to travel in a foreign country for 3 months on $160 bucks. "Central America on a $1.65 a day until I was cornholed in a Panamanian Jail by a gang of transvestite prostitutes". Could be a new line of travel books and shows. Think of the possibilities.

I'm just passing along things I have heard and seen, but since I don't have a dime in it, certainly people can do what they please.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Sure, I say go for it, sounds completely wise and sensible to travel in a foreign country for 3 months on $160 bucks. "Central America on a $1.65 a day until I was cornholed in a Panamanian Jail by a gang of transvestite prostitutes". Could be a new line of travel books and shows. Think of the possibilities.
Hey that is pretty neat, I disagree with your misguided claim about cash requirements to get thru immigration and you change direction into some monologue about the wisdom of the amount as a reasonable budget for the trip. I agree with you on the budget, as I stated in previous post in this thread I can't even imagine the entire $560 stretching three months.

Quote:
I'm just passing along things I have heard and seen, but since I don't have a dime in it, certainly people can do what they please.
Well your doubts that any country would let someone with only $160 on them enter are wrong, especially arriving on an international flight to Costa Rica or Panama from the U.S.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:56 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Bull. Much of Europe operates as an underground economy, especially in more corrupt countries like Italy and Portugal. Farms, cafes, etc in smaller towns do not obey the laws as regularly as you'd like to believe when it comes to insurance, regulations, etc of supplemental staff.

OP, do not believe this hip deep level of BS.

Yeah, and how the hell do you expect the OP to get there? I assumed the OP would be in USA because on 560 he/she wont get to another country and to arrive with 0 dollars would be completely stupid. Think before you talk.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:09 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Try googling "Travel and Work for 3 months" to see what all you get. I got the following:

Adventure Heart - Thailand : 3 Months Travel, Adventure and Voluntary work - GoAbroad.com
I wish I would have known of this last year when I was out of work. I've visited Thailand before and loved it. The people were very friendly and the countryside is beautiful. Waiting out the bad economy for a few months and getting something that looks good on a resume too (volunteer work is always a good tie-breaker when an employer is deciding between two people who both have the required set of job skills).

Old 12-30-2010, 02:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Well, fishing in Maine or Alaska, or teaching , sound like jobs to me. So just go somewhere that seems fascinating, and get a low-income job. My stepsoninlaw went to Santa Fe and spent the winter delivering pizzas.

Quote:

Same here. Theoretically, they have a right to refuse entry if you can't support yourself there, but all you have to do is look fairly clean and tidy. If you have a couple of plastic things that look like credit cards, how will they know if you can access cash with them or not?

However, an airline might not let you board on a one-way flight unless they are satisfied that you'll meet all entry requirements.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:28 PM

Plus they have ATMs in so many places now, even last time we were in Cambodia (approx six years ago) they didn't have ATMs but I've heard there are plenty now. All these cheap third world countries have ATMs now so why would you bother to carry $500 on you and worry about getting it stolen?

Old 12-30-2010, 04:34 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Plus they have ATMs in so many places now, even last time we were in Cambodia (approx six years ago) they didn't have ATMs but I've heard there are plenty now. All these cheap third world countries have ATMs now so why would you bother to carry $500 on you and worry about getting it stolen?
Yeah, I didn't even have to give a bank statement for my visa to India, but that doesnt mean going to Costa Rica (or any 3rd world country) isn't a completely stupid idea. Its people like this that go to countries like that, run out of money, have something go wrong and then the media makes it look like that country is the worst place in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel