Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 01:55 PM

157 posts, read 475,224 times

Advertisements

Sometime this year we're (finally, hopefully!) going to visit California. We live near Louisville, Kentucky.

These days I HATE flying and there is much of the USA I have not seen (i.e. the land between us and California). Is driving a bad idea? We could take the time--would 2 days/1 night be enough for one-way trip? Is getting around the mountains difficult? Would gas and motels cost more than plane tickets?

I think this would be fun but the farthest I've driven from Louisville is Atlanta.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 04:53 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
it will cost you more money and more time to drive...on top of that driving through the middle states is the most boring trip you'll ever make. save yourself the sanity and fly

Old 01-30-2011, 05:03 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Like 09 sez...
It will be a long boring unattractive drive if you're doing the usual freeway route, which is the fastest way. Very little mountain driving. Depending on how many miles you plan to drive each day it's going to take you 3-4 days traveling time. You'll have gas food and motel costs so you'll figure $150-$200 day in average expenses.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:29 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Gazela View Post
Sometime this year we're (finally, hopefully!) going to visit California. We live near Louisville, Kentucky.

These days I HATE flying and there is much of the USA I have not seen (i.e. the land between us and California). Is driving a bad idea? We could take the time--would 2 days/1 night be enough for one-way trip? Is getting around the mountains difficult? Would gas and motels cost more than plane tickets?

I think this would be fun but the farthest I've driven from Louisville is Atlanta.

Thanks.
I say drive and I disagree with those who are saying the drive will be boring. I have driven from Florida to Texas to Colorado, Vegas then to Indianapolis and back...twice. 80,000 miles in 3 years.

I flew yesterday from Denver to Houston via Phoenix and THAT was boring. I feel like you're cheating yourself by flying. It feels so fake. You fly over the air for 2-3 hours and then magically you're at your destination. Yawn.

The land changes dramatically once you pass western Texas/Kansas...depending on what highway you come down. And to see the beauty of the mountains after seeing nothing but grass for several hours is stunning. You can spot the Rockies from about 150 miles away. And if you're doing it for the 1st time, it creates an Aura of 'I've made it to the west'. And the sun setting in the western states is absolutely breathtaking.

Its cheaper to drive even with hotels. If its 'we', then one can take turns driving. You can easily do 8-10 hours a day each. If I'm doing something like 1,000 miles...I'll catch some zzz at a rest stop for the night. But being winter, it may be tough in some areas with the cold. You shouldn't need to stop for a hotel more than 2-3 times. Internet has the best prices...

Old 01-30-2011, 06:08 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Boring is in the eye of the beholder. I drove from Chicago to San Francisco in 1994. I went through Nebraska which I thought would be boring. I stopped at Offutt Airforce Base and saw the museum there. My parents were there in the 60's. And, surprise, surprise. We were amazed by Lake McConaughy. Imagine finding a huge reservoir after miles and miles of dry, brown fields everywhere.

The other states were interesting too. We passed through just the bottom of Wyoming and stayed at an RV park there. That was interesting. The terrain is so different than the other states.

Depending on when you go, you could drive through the eastern side of Yosemite into California, or you could drive through Lake Tahoe on the way to San Francisco.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:13 AM

157 posts, read 475,224 times
Google maps says it's 2, 101 miles to our destination in southern California, and the duration would be 1 day 9 hours. It looked doable but I'm having second thoughts. If we were to go it would be in the summer or fall. I would just have to think if my husband and I can handle 2 days straight just pure driving! I want to see the scenery and have the experience...but we may need more time than I thought.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:20 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
OP. I am presuming you're driving to the Los Angeles area. If so, according to google, it's a 32 hour drive, 2164 miles. If you're like the average traveler, you'll drive about 8 hrs a day which means you'll be on the road for 4 days. If you push it maybe 3 days, and remember fatigue is the #1 cause of travel accidents.
We drive twice a year to Minneapolis and back to Phoenix. We travel I-35 to I-40 to I-17.
I-40 into CA is the quickest rte. The drive is boring boring boring until you get into Flagstaff AZ.
Others may disagree, but it's a non-scenic boring drive. If you decide to go across the northern routes, yes you'll see some scenic areas, but the travel time will be longer.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:29 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
I drove from brandenburg to Las Vegas in 4 days. I was in a full size bronco loaded with stuff moving out there after I got out of the navy.

I loved my trip. I know it is not all the way to the coast but I had a great time. I took my time and had an amazing trip really. There were boring parts yes but some that i will never forget! Most memorable was going across the hoover dam at 4:45 in the morning and no traffic just hearing my exhaust echo through there was memorable lol

Old 01-31-2011, 03:15 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Gazela View Post

Thanks.
Everyone should drive accross the country at least once in their life. It would be more expensive indeed then a discount plane ticket. I think the drive is pretty boring until you get to near the front range, depending on what route you take. The mountains? Not a problem, except maybe the highest passes in winter. After all - millions of truckers drive this route every year, do they not? You take the extreme south route you won't even notice crossing the continental divide.
I would plan a vacation out of it and take your time.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:58 PM

180 posts, read 526,613 times
If you have the time, I say DRIVE. You do need to give yourself longer than 2 days to drive each way for it to be worth it though.

It will depend on how many people are traveling to say if driving is cheaper.

The drive certainly does not have to be boring. Every city, small or large, has something to see it seems. Kansas for example, which many considering very boring, is one my favorite states. I really enjoy some of their museums and other unique attractions. Not all attractions have to involve scenery.

You may have to venture off the main interstates to appreciate the true beauty of the West, including some of the great national parks. But it is worth it. Make the most of the journey. You can alter your route on the return and see even more.

My advice is to decide the general route you want to take. Make a list of what cities are along and near the route. Do a search for these cities online. Most likely, the search will bring up their visitor web site. You can learn a lot about what each place has to offer from them. And you can request visitor information be sent to you.

Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel