Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:08 AM

299 posts, read 1,133,361 times

Advertisements

My first trip was in October 2001. Most Americans hadn't even heard of the place (except on CNN during the Balkan War) and I fell in love with Rovinj. No Americans to be found in site. Loved it.

DIdn't get the feeling people were trying to rip me off at all... but then again, it wasn't a popular place for Americans.

Looks like that has changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 02:43 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,314,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I did the survey.
I was sort of meh about Split, too. Loved Hvar. The lavender was in full bloom while we were there.
I enjoyed our 2006 visit there but I did sort of get this impression of "all your kuna belong to us." Maybe I am a naive tourist, but Croatia was my very first experience of having to pay a fee for a guy loading my backpack onto a bus.
I just poured the last of my lavender oil into potpourri yesterday.
I drive so I miss out on some things.
Croatia is not cheap. I stay with friends in Zagreb, and camp the rest of the time (unless it's raining, then I get a room).

Old 04-13-2011, 03:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,059,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
My first trip was in October 2001. Most Americans hadn't even heard of the place (except on CNN during the Balkan War) and I fell in love with Rovinj. No Americans to be found in site. Loved it.

DIdn't get the feeling people were trying to rip me off at all... but then again, it wasn't a popular place for Americans.

Looks like that has changed.
My husband's first trip to Dubrovnik was in 1977, back in the Yugoslavia days.
Plenty of Americans had heard of it and been there back then; back when we first met and he showed me his photos, I knew what I was looking at even though I had not yet been there. My grandmother had an old Yugoslavia guidebook from the 50's that she had bought when my grandpop was stationed in Austria.
These people have been in the hospitality business for a long time.

Of course the Balkan Wars were a huge disruption.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Croatia to join the EU, and what that might do to tourism costs.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:33 PM

50 posts, read 95,191 times
The survey ratings were confusing. Usually a rating of 1 means "least applicable" and a 10 means "most applicable" and not reverse. I filled it out and hopefully it helps. Croatia is amazing and I love it.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:44 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,937,660 times
God I am in love with Croatia. My most favorite country in ALL of Europe. What an amazing place. Absolutely stunning. Not as expensive either, well that is of course until they get into the EU. Hopefully EU integration won't ruin them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel