Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:10 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times

Advertisements

This is becoming a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I fly fairly often and almost always have carry-ons only (I try to never check luggage, especially when traveling for work). I am sick of people hauling on these enormous rollaboard luggage pieces that are way bigger than the carry-on size limit (the size has shrunk in recent years). They clog up all of the overhead bin space, causing issues for people who board after them.

I find it rude and inconsiderate of the passenger, though I fault the airline for not enforcing the rules. If I were the gate attendant, I'd turn them away and tell them to go check their bags- read the rules before you fly. I actually enjoy flying on commuter jets because their monster carry-ons won't even fit in the overhead bins so they are forced to gate check their luggage.

Do I just have terrible luck or is everyone else having this problem on their flights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:14 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,922 times
I have the same exact issues as you do....irritates me to no avail. I know that folks hate paying baggage fees - I do too....but the fact of the matter is that if I can afford to fly....I can afford to cough up a few extra bucks to have my bag checked in. I don't agree with the baggage fees but I have no choice unless I choose to carry less or hold of on the liquids, etc.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:52 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
It's a huge problem. When I'm made king of the world, it will be first checked bag free, any more than one carry on, baggage fee. If you can't lift your own carry on into the overhead, it gets checked, and you have to buy your row, and the ones immediately in front and behind you drinks as a stupidity levee. And your giant purse counts as carry on.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:05 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Part of the problem is the airline has cut back the check-in staff, So the enforcers are busy and they goal is to load the plane and turn it. Keep it on time. What I would do is If you have a carry on that is to big, It gets gate checked at Twice the normal bag fee. and it goes on the next flight out (later that day, or next day).

I would also like, after seeing a few emergency evac on tv (with people going down the slides with the carry on bags).
Is the overhead to auto/lock whenever the seat belt light is lit. So in a emergency they can't get to it. Also they can't get stuff out of the overhead when the plane is still taxi'ing to the gate.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:23 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
It's inconsistent, at least on Delta, most of the time they will not enforce since the gate staff is just too busy to do that.

It's becoming a huge problem now because it delays flights with long boarding and disembark times, and the times that it takes to gate check the bags that don't fit...plus it's just generally irratating to fellow passengers.

Changing the rules to "first bag free" would really solve all this, but the airlines are too in love with the extra revenue for these fees.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Part of the problem is the airline has cut back the check-in staff, So the enforcers are busy and they goal is to load the plane and turn it. Keep it on time.
We had a flight that was delayed by 40 minutes because people could not get on the plane because they were too busy trying to fit their bags into the overhead when they wouldn't fit. I just couldn't believe it. The flight attendants were yelling down the aisle that if it didn't fit - bring it to the front. It was gridlock on a plane.....ridiculous!

Old 06-03-2011, 02:23 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I check my bags and will bring ONE satchel or backpack or sometimes NOTHING on board the plane with me. People who have their entire lives packed into mini-suitcases who insist on bringing all that sh*t into the passenger area make my blood boil...lazy MFs. They clog up the planes, they clog up the security line, and they make boarding and getting off take way longer than it ever should.

I did notice on my last United flight...they did enforce them. What was hilarious is how many people got mad about it. Mad about following the rules that have been there forever? Yeah, I had you pegged as to what kind of person you were right off the bat.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:32 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Airlines such as United usually do pull passengers out of line if their luggage is too bulky; unfortunately, there are passengers who have some need to bring multiple suitcases onto an airplane. Are these peole going on vacation, or are they moving in?

Old 06-03-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Airlines such as United usually do pull passengers out of line if their luggage is too bulky; unfortunately, there are passengers who have some need to bring multiple suitcases onto an airplane. Are these peole going on vacation, or are they moving in?
I wish they did that on the United flights I was on but that's good that you've seen them doing it!

Old 06-03-2011, 06:17 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
Probably the worst thing I have seen regarding carry-on bags was on a flight where the gate agent made an announcement saying the flight was going to be completly full and in order to expidite boarding they were going to let all of the passengers with large rollerboard suitcases board first. Everyone that did not have an oversized rollerboard was penalized for not abusing the carry-on policy. Not sure how things turned out as my flight was called before they started boarding.

One time on a flight there were 15 flight attendants riding as passengers. I think they might have just finished training as all of them had the exact same carry-on's. They each had 2 large rollerboards that would only fit sideways in the overhead bin and an overnight bag. They let them board first. They used up a third of the overhead bin space on the airplane. The last 30 or so paying passengers to board did not have any overhead space at all. Most of them had gate check their carry-on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel