Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:41 PM

79 posts, read 249,771 times

Advertisements

I once sailed to Tikopia, in the South Pacific.
We were the first white family to visit there for 3 years.

That's what I call remote.

No power, No roads, No buildings only huts.
All they did all day long was, well, I mean, kinda like, ya know.
Make love and eat!

I live in Seattle. Why the hell did I ever leave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 09:01 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Nuwara-Eliya in the Hill Country of Sri Lanka.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:11 PM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Ive been to a few remote places but one very memorable one was up in WY on the way to Calgary (Canada). Our truck needed fuel and there was nothing for miles and miles, but finally came across one little bitty place that was supposed to be a truckstop. It consisted of a fuel island, a ma-and-pa general store, and for us truckers there was a stand up shower in back, (one) so small even someone as small as I was had a hard time without banging my elbows against the walls every time I turn around. We observed a few roaches crawling across the old wood floor in the shower room, but the holes in the floor must be their way in and out. Ol' grampa there must have forgot to put his teeth in that day but had a good sense of humour, lol.
In fact, the drive clear though WY I dont recall seeing much of human life at all, more cattle roaming the roads and pastures than anything else. We had a slight delay, somehow wild cattle were walking, single file, off to the shoulder of the highway. Interesting, but we didnt want to startle them and have them stampede the truck by blowing the air horn so we just played along with them awhile, till another trucker got brave enough to pass us. It was very memorable, yet somehow fun.
By the wasy, there really is a place called 'Boondocks'. Its in Iowa.
Is there any signs of life up there yet? (lol)

Old 08-06-2007, 11:59 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_A_Woman View Post
Ive been to a few remote places but one very memorable one was up in WY on the way to Calgary (Canada). Our truck needed fuel and there was nothing for miles and miles, but finally came across one little bitty place that was supposed to be a truckstop. It consisted of a fuel island, a ma-and-pa general store, and for us truckers there was a stand up shower in back, (one) so small even someone as small as I was had a hard time without banging my elbows against the walls every time I turn around. We observed a few roaches crawling across the old wood floor in the shower room, but the holes in the floor must be their way in and out. Ol' grampa there must have forgot to put his teeth in that day but had a good sense of humour, lol.
In fact, the drive clear though WY I dont recall seeing much of human life at all, more cattle roaming the roads and pastures than anything else. We had a slight delay, somehow wild cattle were walking, single file, off to the shoulder of the highway. Interesting, but we didnt want to startle them and have them stampede the truck by blowing the air horn so we just played along with them awhile, till another trucker got brave enough to pass us. It was very memorable, yet somehow fun.
By the wasy, there really is a place called 'Boondocks'. Its in Iowa.
Is there any signs of life up there yet? (lol)
I've been to many parts of Wyoming, and they certainly are isolated, but not nearly as remote as the setting mentioned in the original post. Like those parts of Wyoming, there are parts of Nevada that are much the same way. I recently traveled from Wells, NV, to Ely, NV, then on to Tonopah, NV. There were very few others traveling these roads when I took them.

Probably the most remote place I've ever been is in the back country up in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Some of the places I backpacked into were so remote that we didn't see any other people for two days, and this was during the peak tourist season. We were still only 20 or so miles from the nearest road, though.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:26 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
South Georgia Island in the South Atlantic and St Helena.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:40 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
I have been to a lot of very remote places. I grew up in Tenwek, Kenya. Try finding that on the map!

I spent a week alone in Mauritious, off the coast of Madagascar.

I spent a month in UganPangdan, Sulawesi, Indonesia.

I can think of more, but those are off the top of my head.

Dawn

Old 08-07-2007, 10:47 PM

255 posts, read 1,195,774 times
The most remote place I've ever lived was in the village of Faui in the province of Iran Jaya (now Papua), Indonesia when I was a missionary linguist there. The only way into the village and out again for that matter was by plane. It was approximately 190 air miles from the "city" of Sentani on the coast to our inland workshop center and then about 60 miles south to Faui.

The village was located in an area known as the Lakes Plains which were sago swamps 200 miles from east to west. We did a language survey by helicopter there before we went to live in Faui and as I remember it, my most lasting memory of the area - besides the incredibly difficult tonal languages - was its famous black, inky mud and mosquitos.

Faui on the other hand, was on the edge of the sago swamps, had a beautiful swiftly flowing, yet fairly shallow stream running past it when was incredibly wonderful for cooling off during the heat of the day. I remember my co-worker and I sitting in the river, chewing on sugar cane and yet at the same time, learning the language.

We had supply flights every 6 weeks or so, which brought food, kerosene and best of all MAIL. It was a wonderful time in my life and I have super memories of those wonderfully welcoming people.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:06 PM

122 posts, read 385,243 times
Falkland islands, Mcarthy Alaska, and Terlingua Texas.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:53 PM

3 posts, read 16,864 times
Sochi /Russia/ The place where the winter olimpic games 2014 will be. I was there about two weeks ago and I have to say it's something out of change

Old 08-09-2007, 01:21 PM

404 posts, read 711,396 times
I passed a sign on the way to a campground in Dinosaur National Park, Colorado that said nearest services 52 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel