Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 05:03 PM
ORM ORM started this thread

4 posts, read 7,353 times

Advertisements

What are the pros and cons of visiting a country like Japan?
What did you dislike about the country?
Will Japan appeal to everyone?
Is Japan an overrated travel/tourist destination?
Did you find Japan to be weird and disturbing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 11:52 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Been to Japan 3 times. It is a most beautiful country with much history, friendly people, crowded, great food, kobe beef is fantastic, pricey. I'd go again if the chance arises. Never had a bad experience. The shrines and gardens are worth every bit of your time too.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:06 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,094 times
I LOVE Japan. I have probably been about 7 times whilst I lived in Asia. I have been to many other countries but this is one of my favorites. I felt safe there, it was culturally interesting, the history and the architecture are fascinating, I love sushi and despite finding few people who spoke English it was easy to get around if you have half an ounce of intelligence. once you understand how the metro works you will have a great time traveling around Tokyo. I've also seen Yokohama, Kyoto, Osaka, Fuji, Nikko and Kamakura. Except for Kyoto and Osaka I did all the exploring myself whilst my husband was working. I would go back there in a heartbeat as there is so much more I want to see. In fact if we got the chance to live there I wouldn't hesitate either.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:09 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
I visited Japan 5 times for vacation when I was between the ages of 19 and 32. I would have gone more except it is not cheap. It is a great place to visit. The people are friendly, but a little shy. Most people do not speak English but they can read it OK. (Reading is stressed on the college enterance exams but there is no test on speaking). You can learn enough from a phrasebook or intro language book to get around.
Some tips:
Get the JR rail pass. It allows unlimited travel by rail and is available only to foreigners (it's THAT good a deal that they ban their own citizens from using it or else the rail system would lose money).
Stay at business hotels. They are MUCH cheaper than tourist hotels. The only downside is that, again, no one will speak English. The price differnce though is worth it (more than $150 difference a day). These aren't the capsule hotels that drunk Japanese stay at when they miss the last train home. I never stayed at those. These are just regular, if a bit smaller, hotel rooms.

Lastly, you can find some forums where Japanese post online and ask if anyone wants to hang out when you are over there. You will have many Japanese that want to meet forenginers and will be happy to show you around. And if you are single...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel