Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 06:57 AM

4 posts, read 4,087 times

Advertisements

Has anyone rented an apartment in Rome? We are thinking of renting something through VRBO (only because they have lots of reviews) in October but have never done this before. Looking for any advice. Are there good locations? Areas to stay away from? Amenities to look for?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 11:14 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
We did and will do it again when we go. I wouldn't use VRBO though, we used a local site and had a very positive experience. We were blocks from the Vatican, in a very residential neighborhood with only locals in the apartments next to us. I highly recommend this company!

Sleep in Italy

Old 07-25-2011, 12:57 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
There's another thread in here or World that addresses this topic.
You might want to do a search; there were some good links.

Here it is: http://www.city-data.com/forum/world...o-1-month.html

Old 07-25-2011, 05:01 PM

651 posts, read 780,086 times
rome apartments and Hotels, Apartments in rome, rome accomodation

http://www.eurocityapartments.net/

Old 07-25-2011, 07:25 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
I am sure there are lots of nice places to stay in Rome but we chose the Prati area which is between the Vatican and the river. We loved it. The apartment was on the 4th floor, solid and quiet and the street it was on - Via Cola di Rienzo - was bustling and lively during the day and evening but quiet during the night. We'd walk out the solid front doors of the lobby and right into the midst of Roman life. Wide sidewalks, lots of interesting shops, restaurants and cafes. There was a market down the road for fresh produce, bread and meats. There was a department store (Coin) with a supermarket downstairs. There were a couple of Metro stops nearby as well as a bus. Only about 300m from the Vatican. We'd stay there again. It was called Casa Laura. One bedroom, with sofa bed, full kitchen, two bathrooms, etc.

Rome is a great walking city and smaller than I thought. We'd hop on the Metro if we were tired on our way back from other parts of the city but mostly walked everywhere.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 4,087 times
Thanks for all the great leads! We were thinking the Navona/Pantheon area and hadn't thought about Prati. I'll have to look closer at that area.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:37 PM

Have you considered staying in a convent?
I stayed on Via Sistina, near the Spanish Steps; good deal and excellent location.
No one screws with nuns.

There's a nice Sunday flea market.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Have you considered staying in a convent?
I stayed on Via Sistina, near the Spanish Steps; good deal and excellent location.
No one screws with nuns.

There's a nice Sunday flea market.
Excellent choice. There are terrific convents where one can stay at.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:59 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar11 View Post
Thanks for all the great leads! We were thinking the Navona/Pantheon area and hadn't thought about Prati. I'll have to look closer at that area.
We liked Prati because it seemed less obviously touristy and more like a regular Italian neighbourhood. The street we were on was great because we were right there, in the midst of everything, without having to walk too far. Just out the front door. We'd go to the market, pick up some fresh bread, prosciutto, cheese, fruit, etc. and head back to the apartment, stopping at a bar for an espresso or cappuccino on the way. We felt like we were living as close to Italian life as we could, as tourists.

We had initially looked at Trestevere and that looked okay too but some parts of it looked run down and dirty when we meandered through the area looking where a couple of the apartments we had considered at one time were. We were very happy with our choice of Prati. We got there about 5pm the first night and took a stroll after settling in. We suddenly came upon St. Peter's Square in the soft evening light, all quiet and uncrowded compared to the day. What an amazing sight! We didn't know it was that close.

The one area I've been told by several people to stay away from is near the central train station.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Excellent choice. There are terrific convents where one can stay at.
If anyone traveling to Rome wants, I can probably scan a few pages or provide a few choices in most cities. I have an old book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel