Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:15 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,432,399 times

Advertisements

Its funny how most passport photos I've ever seen, the person looks serious.
Why do you think this is? and what do you do personally, smile or look serious?
Going in to have mine done next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 10:28 PM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
If you think having your picture taken for a driver's license is stressful, try having your image captured for passport photos under a new set of rules enacted after the events of September 11th, 2001. Indeed, smiling in passport photos has indeed been banned in a number of countries. Passport applicants can be asked to pose for a new photo if the first one is deemed too distorted by the act of smiling.
A closed mouth smile or grin is generally acceptable, but a smile which exposes the teeth is not.
The reason smiling in passport photos has been strongly discouraged or banned has to do with international security measures and biometric scans.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:36 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,947,551 times
Yep, most countries do not allow you to smile in a passport photo. It is like going back to the time when photographs were a new thing. No one smiled in those either. I am not sure what the purpose of it really is. There is no way that a photo with a smile is so distorted that you could not recognize the person represented in it with a serious face. But, apparently it sets off the scanning software for facial recognition. It sounds like programmers need to find a way to make it work. Because in the U.S. we can smile in our passports still. So, unless all passports require the straight face, it is pointless.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:43 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,820,073 times
We had our renewal passports done at the Post Office where we turned in our paperwork. We were told NOT to smile. However, we had our enhanced driver licenses done at the DMV and they encourage smiling.[They are good for land or boat travel to Canada and a few other places; not flying] The reason for the difference? Who knows? Go figure. At least both look like us, smile or not.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:43 PM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Because in the U.S. we can smile in our passports still. So, unless all passports require the straight face, it is pointless.
Yes, you can smile, but your mouth must remain closed.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:15 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,731,183 times
Just had my Aussie passport renewed in May and was told absolutely no smiling, mouth open or closed - a neutral expression only. Stark difference from my last one where I had a wide happy smile.

I renewed my driver's license right after that and when I stood there with a stern look on my face the photographer asked why so serious? I forgot that for my driver's license photo it was okay to smile.

So it depends on your country's rules but most seem to be going the serious route, for facial recognition software. I was told a smile distorts the face and makes it harder for the software to match you.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:37 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,947,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes, you can smile, but your mouth must remain closed.
Well...I just received my passport within the last six months with my new picture of me smiling with my teeth showing and it wasn't rejected. So, that is not the case in the United States as of now.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:37 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I was told a smile distorts the face and makes it harder for the software to match you.
or possible because you will hardly ever smile after a long flight, standing in an immigration queue without being able to leave to get a drink / go to the toilet and being asked a list of stupid questions by someone who has no idea what you are talking about when you give him the answers he requires....... hard to match up the happy face in the photo to that one that says "get me the hell out of this airport !!"

Old 08-05-2011, 06:40 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Well...I just received my passport within the last six months with my new picture of me smiling with my teeth showing and it wasn't rejected. So, that is not the case in the United States as of now.
the US passport office does require "a neutral facial expression and both eyes open" so you were lucky. Passport Photo Requirements

Old 08-05-2011, 08:02 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,432,399 times
How long is it valid for in your country? only 5 years here and $160. They should make it 10 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel