Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 02:20 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Only European countries i would go to in November...

-Portugal
-Spain
-Southern France
-Central & Southern Italy

and maybe Southern Croatia & Greece
Average temperature will be around 65 degrees in all those countries

All the other countries in Europe are to cold and get almost no sunshine around that time.
Exactly. Which is why I go then. Less crowds and cheaper prices. The same hotel people pay 300-400 bucks a night for in July, I pay 150 for in November. Bring an umbrella and jacket and who cares?

Does the rain and cold keep you from doing anything at home? Nope. So why should it in Germany? Switzerland? Or any other country. Remember these are year round countries, which have most of their tourist spots open year round. The Louvre doesn't close, because it's December. Neither does the British Museum. The Reichstag. And I could go on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 02:41 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Only European countries i would go to in November...

-Portugal
-Spain
-Southern France
-Central & Southern Italy

Average temperature will be around 65 degrees in all those countries

All the other countries in Europe are to cold and get almost no sunshine around that time.
The sun doesn't always come out in November in Central Italy, especially in Umbria. We often experienced week-long rain every November. I counted 11 or 12 consecutive days of rain and no sun almost every November. The region is not named the Green Heart of Italy without a reason.

November temperature in Central Italy is in the range of 4-15C, or 40-60F.

I'm not saying the rain would be a deterrent to any plan, just be aware that it would be be damp and cold all around. Not down-filled parka kind of cold, but enough for jackets, scarves, and hats for most Americans. And of course, umbrellas. You'll see Italian women in long fur coats the first weekend of November, at truffle festivals everywhere.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 08-21-2011 at 02:54 PM..

Old 08-21-2011, 02:43 PM

85 posts, read 151,115 times
The thing is that if the weather is bad, you can't take nice photos.
I've traveled in winter and liked it (it was sunny). But when it's raining, it's not good.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:54 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vika_California View Post
I've traveled in winter and liked it (it was sunny). But when it's raining, it's not good.
Outside yes; to a point. However, there is something to be said for rainy photo's too. The inside there are no issues.

The problem is American's want to travel, so they say, but want everything picture perfect. Then say they can't afford it. So? You can't have a "perfect" picture? And? You can have a perfect memory and have gone there. Or complain, while your standing in a two hour line at Disneyland for 10th time. Then go back to wherever and say what a great vacation you had.

I'm leaving for Europe on Oct 3rd and I'm not coming back until Dec 12th. Rain, shine, snow and everything in-between. I can afford it, because it's the off season. The apartment I just rented in Paris is 920 Euros. It's double that amount in July. And I guarantee I'll see the samethings someone else see's in July. And yes, I've been all over Europe in June, July, and August. Hot and humid and not for me.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:02 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vika_California View Post
But who travels mainly to take pictures anyway? I mean, if one can take pictures, great, but what really matters are one's memories and what one actually sees, right?

Old 08-22-2011, 01:37 AM

85 posts, read 151,115 times
I do take pictures. I can share them when I get home. I can look at them later. Plus, I sell them.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:11 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,671 times
One way to avoid paying interest on credit card cash advances when on vacation (whether in your own country or overseas) is to pay your credit card bill before you leave (even if it's well before the due date) and at the same time deposit some extra funds into your card account. I try to deposit a little more than I expect to spend.

Of course this doesn't work if you carry a balance from month to month.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:37 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
One way to avoid paying interest on credit card cash advances when on vacation (whether in your own country or overseas) is to pay your credit card bill before you leave (even if it's well before the due date) and at the same time deposit some extra funds into your card account. I try to deposit a little more than I expect to spend.

Of course this doesn't work if you carry a balance from month to month.

What CC company allows you to do that? Ours, Capital One Visa, doesn't. I tried that some years ago and they said no, haven't looked at it more recently.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:29 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,671 times
I'm in Australia and, as far as I know, all our credit cards allow you to have a credit balance. Of course, there's not much point in constantly doing that, but it's a very useful option when travelling. Mine is an Australian bank Visa c/card.

What happens in your case if you accidentally pay more than the amount due? I've done that a couple of times (fat fingers when phone banking, or misread a 5 for an 8).

Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,592 times
"What happens in your case if you accidentally pay more than the amount due? I've done that a couple of times (fat fingers when phone banking, or misread a 5 for an 8)."

Hasn't happened so far, their electronic payment system won't accept anything larger than the outstanding balance. There may be an incidence of a previously charged item being returned and a credit issued but thats the only situation where an overage may occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel